Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lumia Extravaganza

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I'm just putting the finishing touches on a board that has all the features of the northlight useful to laser, plus a few more Just tidying up the code, should have something ready to fly in a couple of weeks..

That, plus a few other DMX related boards..
    I TOTALLY forgot you guys were working on additional DMX boards!

Any chance there might be a DMX-to-stepper-motor driver in the works?

Looking forward to seeing the new products!!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Actually, I have been tossing up doing a driver for the poly20.. Maybe I should just design a more open ended stepper motor design that would work well with the poly 20.. Hmm, now you have me thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I TOTALLY forgot you guys were working on additional DMX boards!

Any chance there might be a DMX-to-stepper-motor driver in the works?

Looking forward to seeing the new products!!

Randy
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Default some 'Lumia-Coolness' inspiration... ;)

Hey mikko...

Well, I WAS going to 'ask' permission to sort-of 'temporarily thread-jack', here (meaning, if you wanted, I would-have gladly removed the post upon-request, and moved-it to a new thread...) because I just didn't really see it being 'worthy' of it's OWN thread... but, upon further-reflection, I decided with all the 'banter' that would prolly ensue, here, I'd best start a new-one, anyway, in all fairness to you...

I only thought to post it, here, as further-support / encouragement for you guys 'getting interested' / furthering your interest in 'augmenting' your projectors, to incorporate more of the 'old school' fx... (JUST DO IT, GUYS!!! )

So, hope THIS will be of some 'encouragement' along 'lumia-lines'...

njoy...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Default New Pics

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    hope THIS will be of some 'encouragement' along 'lumia-lines'...
    j
    Yeah! Thanks for throwing a log in this fire!

I too am glad people are into these effects- I don't know how someone could not be.

Anyway, the postman was kind enough to deliver me some bearings and O-ring belts from allelectronics.com and my motor from ebay!

I turned down the bearings and pressure fitted them into an aluminum bracket that I bought at the junk shop (see price in pic).
    I then ransacked my shop for something to use for pulleys since I didn't like the ones I got with the belts. Guess what I used? Pinewood Derby car wheels! I spun them in the lathe and cut 1 groove in 2 of them, and 2 grooves in the other 2.

This whole arrangement is going to drive all 3 effects wheels from a single motor. Now that I have the drive mechanism together, it seems solid enough. I plan on mounting the works in an old reverb carcass- I bought it at a garage sale years ago. Actually I think the guy gave it to me since it was fried (and smelled like it).

More to come...
    -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gang1.JPG  

wheels.JPG  

drive.JPG  

enclosure.JPG  

A+ for using Official Cub Scout parts!

It brought back some memories looking at the patterns that make up the "spokes" in the middle of the wheels.

Good choice on the case too.

-Jonathan

I don't have any kids of my own, but a girl I dated for a number of years had a son who was in Cub Scouts. Let's just say his car was fast as hell! I already had a mandrel that fit the wheels (used for shaping and polishing). I also cut teeny grooves in the axles and polished them using my mini lathe. It has been said by many that I have too much time on my hands- I wish I had more!
    -Mike

Default Ongoing Lumia Show in Austin, TX

Hi all,

Just discovered this thread! My lumia passion continues thorughout my life.... I think the first thing I did with a HeNe was shine it through a Dr. Pepper bottle, I have a Super 8 film of it somewhere.

Here is a link to a post I put on the ILDA Forum about my ongoing show in Austin, TX, the show is running daily thru July so come on by, it's free!:

http://www.laserist.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209

I designed and built two DMX controlled RGB lumia projectors for this show. Control at this show is laser computer recorded onto Alesis HD24 via Raven Systems Showlink Transcoder. But I really like controlling this projector with the Behringer 24 track DMX lighting console - it has a 0-10V direct output that you can use to modulate the lasers, as well as the normal DMX out.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-24-C.../dp/B000CZ0RM4

Here's a link to my current fave lumia device, the "Waterford Crystal Diamond":

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/wate...ght-new-in-box

You can hit this baby with a beam at *any* angle and fantastic things happen!

I've got boxes and boxes of clear glass that catches my eye from over the years. I can't help myself. Casey (Agent C) knows what I am talking about, he said he has pics of some of it.

The other day I was in Eagle Pass, TX (on the Mexican border) and they have these little shops with the cheapest Chinese junk for sale that I have ever seen.... next thing you know I have spent over $20 and I am lugging bags of bizarre glass back to my shop. The awful truth is that most of it looks great with the lasers, and now I want to drive 4 hours back to Eagle Pass and buy up the lots to have for future projects. Little glass crystal roses, tiny oil lamps with bases of lumia glass, tiny glass elephants, flowers made of multiple crystals glued together.....who makes this stuff?

Tim Walsh

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    I don't have any kids of my own, but a girl I dated for a number of years had a son who was in Cub Scouts. Let's just say his car was fast as hell! I already had a mandrel that fit the wheels (used for shaping and polishing). I also cut teeny grooves in the axles and polished them using my mini lathe. It has been said by many that I have too much time on my hands- I wish I had more!
    -Mike

When I was a Den Chief, I had to deal with guys like you.........

:-)

Steve Roberts

Hey Tim: That link to your show pics is really cool! I love how the stars at the same time make the Lumia look even more like nebulas. Feel free to add some projector pics to this thread! I would be curious to know some more details about the DMX converter you used (on the projector side)

Hey Steve: I won't tell you about the test track in my attic- you know, the one with the digital timer!

-Mike

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

At least you dont do statistical analysis of the track lanes year after year.

Snort!

sTEVE