Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Lumia Extravaganza

Default Aquarium Pump?

Here's one-
    Has anyone ever tried using the electromagnet assembly from the innards of an old aquarium pump as a cheap and simple mirror oscillator?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fish_pump.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Here's one-
    Has anyone ever tried using the electromagnet assembly from the innards of an old aquarium pump as a cheap and simple mirror oscillator?
    Whoa - flashbacks!!

While the wife and I were doing a massive early "Spring cleaning" at the Stuka estate () over the holidays, I ran across the box containing my early "optics" efforts, which included a 1970's-era aquarium pump with a piece of broken mirror glued to the bellows!! Tossed it (didn't run), but it sure brought back memories!

I held on to the beam splitter and hologram slides that were in the box...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Cool! Now that's old-school! I went by a musician's supply shop today looking for a road case for another graphics projector I plan on building. I saw a sweet old piece of 70's gear that had a tuck 'n roll glitter exterior. That made me think it would be cool to adorn the exterior of my retro rig to compliment the interior- heck, why not put some '59 Caddy fins on it?
    -Mike

Hey Tim! -

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWizard View Post
    Here's a link to my current fave lumia device, the "Waterford Crystal Diamond"...You can hit this baby with a beam at *any* angle and fantastic things happen!
    Yeeeah, baby! That's what I'm talkin' bout! Somewhere, I have shots of this in action... gotta go 'snorfle 'em up...

Thanks for stokin' the fire, Chief!...

j
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01510.JPG  

....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Here's one-
    Do you really want me to answer that?????

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Do you really want me to answer that?????

Steve
    Whachu got mang?

Lightbulb

That's alomst like the door knobs I have... I did not take a picture of the "optic" but took some of the "effect" of shining a size "2", white ring abstract set to rotate a little through the "crystal". Here is the album.

Can you post a "how to" for the device that "knob" is attached to?

Re air pump electromagnet
    your choice of rubber strap, steel shim stock or piano wire flexure suspension as the mirror pivot, with either soft iron or a really good magnet. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages.

Did that one in 89 or so for Sea World on a lark. If you can get the mirror mass to resonate at 60 hz, its awesome. even if you cant, its awesome. You put one in the back of the projector on a beam position. If you get it to resonate, which is fairly easy, it will ring on pulses of AC with a neat effect, if you put a reflective grating on it, even neater effect.

Steve

[QUOTE=allthatwhichis;80044]That's alomst like the door knobs I have... I did not take a picture of the "optic" but took some of the "effect" of shining a size "2", white ring abstract set to rotate a little through the "crystal". Here is the album.

What the heck is a #2 white ring ????????????????????????????????????????

Steve

Lightbulb

In the abstract generator you can select a size. I just moved it a bit, from 0 to 2, to make a small ring or circle. I use it at 0, to make a dot, and all white, to have all three... four lasers on full to warm them up. I just moved it to a "size 2"... small white ring. I made it rotate to get the differenct diffractions.