Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Lumia Extravaganza

That's a pretty cool effect.

I reckon one of those indoor "water" features (that actually use recirculated clear oil) would have an interesting effect. I'm sure you have tried it, but shining a pointer through running water is quite spectacular.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

No, I haven't tried that but it sounds very interesting.
    How about reflecting a laser beam off of a pool of vibrating mercury?
    I know that stuff is poisonous, but it might be interesting.

I ripped out my HanksCraft, or should I say HanksCrap motor last night and threw it at the concrete floor of my shop, shattering it into about 20 little pieces
    That damn thing was just too flipping loud! It sounded like a fork in a blender while running and quite frankly put me over the edge. I want this projector to be used with very subtle music, like classical and space music. These don't provide enough audible cover to hide the churning piece of crap motor droning in a box!

I just found 2 synchro motors that run at 3/4 RPM. This should be better. If not, I will do something dramatic with them and search again. I have too much wrapped up in this now to leave portions of it "sloppy"! I will be sure to post an update soon...

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    No, I haven't tried that but it sounds very interesting.
    How about reflecting a laser beam off of a pool of vibrating mercury?
    I know that stuff is poisonous, but it might be interesting.

I ripped out my HanksCraft, or should I say HanksCrap motor last night and threw it at the concrete floor of my shop, shattering it into about 20 little pieces
    That damn thing was just too flipping loud! It sounded like a fork in a blender while running and quite frankly put me over the edge. I want this projector to be used with very subtle music, like classical and space music. These don't provide enough audible cover to hide the churning piece of crap motor droning in a box!

I just found 2 synchro motors that run at 3/4 RPM. This should be better. If not, I will do something dramatic with them and search again. I have too much wrapped up in this now to leave portions of it "sloppy"! I will be sure to post an update soon...

-Mike
    thats funny stuff there mike...you should have sent it to those guys on youtube "will it blend" that would be funny.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Mercury was used in the LOVELIGHT Projector. The main scanners scaned on pool fo mercury that was vibrated. Its fairly easy to seal windows on a glass cell and use mercury.

Graphics done the first way:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...600/Front2.jpg

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-22-2009 at 13:13.

Cool- that would be awesome to be able to check out that LoveLight projector. Has anyone posted any pics of it on the web? edit: you posted a pic as I typed this!
    I have heard of it before when reading about the history of laser shows, but don't know many details about it.
    I think I have one of those old mercury thermostat switches in a box somewhere- it has a big drop in it, in a glass tube, maybe 1/2 tsp or so. Maybe I can dig it up.
    I think the smoothie button on the blender would have smoothed that motor right out- what was I thinking?!
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    I think I have one of those old mercury thermostat switches in a box somewhere- it has a big drop in it, in a glass tube, maybe 1/2 tsp or so. Maybe I can dig it up.
    -Mike
    I spent some time messing around with one of those old thermostats trying
    to get the laser to reflect off the mercury inside the tube. I didn't have much
    luck with it. If you can figure out a solution, please post your results.

Mark

I think the most challenging portion of that experiment will be figuring out which "shit box" I threw the thermostat switch in many moons ago

On a different note, I just overcame an annoyance with my midi decoder board this evening.
    If anyone else is ever interested in using one of these to modulate analog inputs, this would be of interest. The kit I used has two MCP42XXX chips, each with dual 10k digital pots.

The annoying thing was that by default, these initialize the pot's wipers to midway. This meant that out of the box, when I turned the lumia projector on, I would get 2.5vdc on each output before any midi signals were applied. Needless to say, this kinda sucked.

I looked up the datasheet for the MCP chips and noticed that it has a Shut Down pin. Apparently, this pin sets the wiper to terminal "B", which in my case is ground. I sent the guy that I bought the kit from a message asking about it yesterday, but I never heard back. I decided to configure one of the 8 TTL output pins to be initialized low, and tied it to a jump-wire going to pin 12 (ShDn) on each chip. I then programmed the midi template to toggle the TTL pin using the red "Circle" button on the Novation Remote. It worked! Turn it on, nothing. Toggle the stop button, get light. Hit the stop button again, ALL modulation inputs are sent to 0v. That made me so happy I almost forgot about that piece of crap motor!

-Mike

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

the secret to the mercury is to have it in a flat pool with a window above it and vibrate it. the Lovelight projector shook it with Galvos. The mercury was after the scan pair.

Steve