Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wave lumia tubes

Hey Professor ...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Greg Makhov at LSDI has something he calls a Zoomia, with a big lens, so I suspect if you add a lens to get the divergence down, two disks or two tubes would work just fine.
    Hmm, very interesting... I picked-up two of what I dubbed 'skewing-lumia projectors' that I believe MAY have been designed by Image Engineering, as part-of a giant 'motherlode' of gear we bought from a Vegas auction... a small piece of 'history' actually, but that's
    a story for another time...

Point is (and sorry I don't have better internal pix right now, but next trip out to our 'So Cal bunker', (soon) I will 'de-frock' the boxes, and post some 'guts' pix...) what is inside these things is, post-input from a fiber OC, (which could certainly be taken-out, to accept a straight-in beam...) a lumia wheel (of course! and a nice plano-convex (not sure of focal-length, but I estimate ~ 50mm or less) on a DMX-controlled worm-screw-driven SLIDING-rail, so you can ADJUST the 'focus', and then another, DMX-positionable servo, with a nice, big first-surface mirror on it...

Idea is, you can 'skew' the focus / scale of the lumia-effect, to your particular room... I bet you it would be very-well worth the time to experiment with this 'projector', with various lumia wheels / tubes...

Sorry, NOT 'FS' , but unless I find-out that these are some 'patented idea', I'll post pix, and best-guestimate specs on servos / gears / lens, etc, so all you adventurous, 'newly-hopped-up-on-lumia-fx' guys can try and 'dupe' the concept... I submit, again, IMHO, it WILL be worth the time / effort...

And yes, as-always, you know you can count on me for pix!... But, sorry, it will be prolly not-till ~mid Feb, till I can get to it,
    so stay-tuned!

peace...
    j
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07362.JPG  

....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

that didnt come out of Viagio (spelling?) did it?

Steve

Hey P'fessor (...you don't mind that, do you? lemme know... )

that didnt come out of Viagio (spelling?) did it?
    No, I bought the ENTIRE 'Stardust' install - E V E R Y T H I N G - and no, I will NOT tell anyone 'what I paid', cause I don't really wanna get murdered in my sleep!

Lemme know if you wanna see pix of the 'motherlode'. offline (too much to post! )

ciao
    j

Stardust... hummmm.

I just got in a ton of high power argon/yag fiber, 75-300 foot pieces, the good stuff from Precision Projection on the order of almost 1500 feet, connectorized and polished. Care to trade anything? I need some bounce mirrors. Came out of a hollywood theme park install. The "Bat guy" show, if I'm told correctly.

yeah, pixx....

Steve

Hey P'fessor...

Stardust... hummmm.

I just got in a ton of high power argon/yag fiber, 75-300 foot pieces, the good stuff from Precision Projection on the order of almost 1500 feet, connectorized and polished. Care to trade anything? I need some bounce mirrors. Came out of a hollywood theme park install. The "Bat guy" show, if I'm told correctly.

yeah, pixx....
    Hahaha! - Lol - you sure know your shyte, Cap'n! yes, you got the '$64K question' correct, this was a 'fiber-hydra' HERE is one pic, and HERE is another, of the color-station... LOTS of fiber-launchers, but this could just as-easily be converted to a beam-positions / fx table...

RE: trade, well, not reeeally. I mean, if we ever put this beast 'into rotation' again, I doubt that it will be for use with 16 FL's! Maybe 2-4, but the rest, I'd wanna convert for beams / multi-level lumia / sfx, etc... So, prolly could not use all that fiber... I'd check with Tim Walsh - he uses a LOT of fiber heads...

But I might be interested in SOME of it, in-trade for ???... Got some really cool fiber-fed 'mini beam-rails' (picture a ~12" x 4" box, with 4 beam positions (GM20-fed) and a mirror-clamp... I assume most / all of it is <100µm?

And, RE: mirrors - sorry, but you know how it is - I'd prolly sooner-trade a 171 than good H-D bounce mirrors! (Coincidentally, all the mirrors we got are from Carl's 'foundry', there... )

Anyhoo, 'never say never', so we'll see...
    j

yes, its small core fiber, around 100 um. I do not think it is as small as 62/125, but its nicely armored.
    Some is nicely colored Joker purple on the outside.

Steve

I just received my set of Mixedgas special lumia tubes!

These puppies are cool - and so far, all I've used them with is my 5mw pointer!
    Photos to follow once I get some real laser juice flowing through the tubes!!

Thanks, Steve!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 01-24-2009 at 09:51.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hi All,

I received my tubes from Steve today...
    REALLY excellent! If you're even thinking about lumia, PM Steve!

Tim

Lightbulb

and no pictures huh?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Pictures & movies please!!!