Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Absolut Lasershow'... ;)

Default 'Absolut Lasershow'... ;)

Hey Kats...

So, yeah, I was rather 'reticent' about posting this in its 'own' thread - I just feel kind of 'weird' starting a thread... ...but I guess I've done enough 'threadjacking' to last for awhile so, here 'tis...

This has-been sort of a long-standing (~2 yrs) 'pure-laser-art' idea I've been kicking-around, that I felt was just 'begging' to be-done, and to the best-of my knowledge / research, no one else had done it... ...at least not THIS way...

...'THIS way', in-that, it is both an 'Absolut' and an 'Absolute Lasershow' shot...Why? Well, reason #1 SHOULD BE pretty obvious!! ; #2, it's 'Absolute' in-that you have nearly every 'major' laser effect represented (scanned fx, aerial fx (via rear-projection...go, Skeeta! ), lumia fx, machita fx, and beam / bounce-mirror fx...) - 'bout the only ones NOT here, are cone and/or fiber-head scans... but I gotta save SOMEthing for the 'next one!' ; and #3, it's 'Absolute' in-that except for the 'bit of scrim' you see, nearly everything in this image is comprised of 100% laser-light - For the purposes of THIS idea, I did not WANT the actual 'bottle' in the shot... And there is ZERO photoshop (other than cropping, color-correction, and yes, the logo..) and all in ONE 'click' (NO multi-exposures...)...

Though, I have to say, I was really bummed to-see that, apparently, my 'tuning' was 'shifting' during the shoot, and it was not till I was totally OUT of time to re-do ANY more shots - HAD-to 'move on' - that I noticed HOW BAD the text looks!! Aah, Crappit-all!!!.... Oh, well... it's the 'thought that counts', right? ...and it probably would-have not taken much-more than a quick gain/damping tweekie to get it BACK to PERFECT, like when I started... But, you 'live and learn', I guess... Next time, right? Only problem is, I am so dang busy with 'the biz' that it is VERY rare for me to be ABLE to make the time for something 'personal' and 'fun' like this...

But, anyhoo, 'Three-Cheers for the 'Old School'!, eh, Fellas??! ... I, for one, am stoked to see what seems-to-be an increasing-
    number of PL-members 'excited' about the 'OS-fx' , like lumia, etc...WORTH ALL THE 'EXTRA EFFORT', IMHO...

So, thoughts? Love it? Hate it? Running out to the garage THIS INSTANT to carve-up a lumia wheel from that old, busted shower door? Lemme know...

peace...
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 01-23-2009 at 19:06. Reason: spiders
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Wink

Haven't you broken your golden rule of having the smoke in front of the scrim so that the image appears on the scrim and then the beams continue out and above the viewers head?

p.s. Formatting done as a homage.

Default Lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    p.s. Formatting done as a homage.
    ...You know, I WANTED to go to SLEEP, but you had me LAUGHING so much with this, that i just HAD TO log-back-in... (...you forgot the too-many-overused-hyphens, BTW... oh, and 'paraphrases'

But to your point, yes, there was plenty of fog in / around / in-front-of the scrim, but that was the trick with this - how to get the right 'balance' of all 'atmospheric / beam' fx looking-good, without washing-out the text / bottle, at the 'moment of click' (oh, sorry...

Sofo, U R funny, dude!...

AND NOW, TO SPEEL... LEESP... PLEES... SLEEP!!!!!

(let's see... 3 Bolds, 2 underlines, 4 overused-hyphens and 6 smileys ...yep, I'm done!
    j

john-

U-N-P-L-U-G!!!!!! go sit on a beach brotha!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

...Geez, these crickets are SO LOUD!!!!!

Question

I am not sure what you are asking for... You want everyone to attempt a "absolute" logo laser picture? Or just something with an original effect?

A friend dropped by some old glasss door knobs. They do a nice refraction effect but I need to find a way to do "something" with the glass to make it mountable.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

That is Absolutly awesome. You have produced a work of art that only laser geeks can truly appreciate thank you.

Thumbs up

Man, that has so much dimension- killer! It really is like a painting that makes your eye move all around the canvas. Hey, it almost matches your avatar- same venue?
    Thanks!
    -Mike

Talking

Hey Aaron...

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I am not sure what you are asking for... You want everyone to attempt a "absolute" logo laser picture? Or just something with an original effect?
    Hahaha - Lol! NO, maaan.. whattaya think of the PICTURE?? hahaha... well, I guess I could see how you might not 'get it' if you don't know the 'story'...

OK, do this, visit: http://www.absolutad.org/ when you get some time, and browse-thru (menu on the left...) some of the 'Absolut Art' that people have created over the years... all started with Andy Warhol in ~'85...

No 'rocket science' here, just various artists, from all over the world, inspired to create their own 'vision' of the famous 'Absolut' Vodka bottle, whether physically (ie: actual bottle useage -shots) 'creatively' (ie: Absolut 'Appeal', Absolut Cities, etc...) or 'metaphorically' (ie: Absolut Warmth....get it? ) And when it is the latter, the art or ad is about being 'Absolut' (the Vodka) and being 'Absolute' (whatever it is...) like, 'to the max'...ie: HERE's a good one for FL!

The concept became so strong / well-known, that they could even get away with something like 'Absolut Houdini' - not even SHOW the product - and people would 'get it'...

So, my 'deal' was simply that I'd had the idea to do one of these 'art / ads' in 100% laser light (...of course! ) and since I had not been able to find ANYone, anywhere that had done it - at least like THIS...nothin' but light - I think it truly can be called an 'Absolut Lasershow'... (and, yes, also because 'I used all the main fx, blah, blah, blah'...) ...I'm sure you get it!!

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    A friend dropped by some old glasss door knobs. They do a nice refraction effect but I need to find a way to do "something" with the glass to make it mountable.
    And thus, the reason why I posted it here... to hopefully 'inspire' some of the guys that are just 'getting into' playing with some of the 'old school' fx, that with a little creativity / playing-around, you can make some pretty cool-lookin shyte! Yes? No? Maybe?

So, no, I don't expect to see any 'Absolut Doorknob' pix from ya but yeah, I (and others ) hope to see some cool pix of whatever fx you DO come up with...

Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    That is Absolutly awesome. You have produced a work of art that only laser geeks can truly appreciate thank you.
    Thanks, dude! I am sooo silly-stoked cause I got a reply-back from THE Absolut Co. yesterday, and they're gonna pass it on to their 'people' (cause they don't take 'ideas' in directly...) Soooo...

I mean, how bitchin' would it be if we (and I 'include' all laserists, here...) got to make a 'worldwide statement' via an 'Absolut ad', that 'yeah, lasers are totally cool'...Would be nice to internationally 'counter' shyte like that 'Moscow incident', right? We'll see...

Anyhoo, thx...
    j

Hey Mike -

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Man, that has so much dimension- killer! It really is like a painting that makes your eye move all around the canvas. Hey, it almost matches your avatar- same venue?
    Thanks, Bro! RE: the avatar - no, my 'tar is a 'mash-up' from two of our 'install' shots... our new website will be done SOON and then both shots will be there to-view... I may be putting up an 'album', here (finally) but till then...

Anyhoo, thanks...cya over at yer 'Lumia thread'...
    j