Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made Diode driver for DVD diodes?

Default Home made Diode driver for DVD diodes?

hi guys.. i have two dvd burner's diodes... i wanna use them for a little projector... or for upgrading my green projector... has anyone got a diode driver with ttl modulatio or (best) analogue modulation?

thankyou!

Quote Originally Posted by djlorenz View Post
    hi guys.. i have two dvd burner's diodes... i wanna use them for a little projector... or for upgrading my green projector... has anyone got a diode driver with ttl modulatio or (best) analogue modulation?

thankyou!
    It is wise to use the search function of this forum... or even better, just read the topics on the forum.

you will see there is alot of nice information on this forum if you just take that extra little step.

:-)

All the best,

Anhtony

i know.. but i can't find a regular diode driver for dvd laser.. i don't know the power of this lasers

i know.. but i can't find a regular diode driver for dvd laser.. i don't know the power of this lasers
    UHHH? what dou you mean with REGULAR DIODE DRIVER.??
    Because in your first post you clearly asked for:

has anyone got a diode driver with ttl modulatio or (best) analogue modulation?
    I recently posted a simple analog diode driver that can be used for any DVDburner diode or BR diode.
    But if you don't know the specs of your diode's you cant drive them with anything without the risk of distroying them.
    You must know the maximum current you want to drive them at.

It's all here, somewhere. Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    Seriously, have a look. People can answer your questions too, but if you try to find stuff, and try to understand what you see, you'll ask the right questions, and you'll understand the answers better too.

I recommend you buy a driver though, rather than try to make one. The cost will be lower, the results better, unless you're already familiar with electronics to not need to ask us at all.

Search for "Die4drive" as one example. It's a good one, and you'll find all you need to know, just following that one lead. It will lead to all the other possibilities within half an hour or so of hunting, pretty much.

Post Do un to others... ;)

Die4drive, Flexmod, Norm's Driver... I don't fully understand what LASORB will be; diode protection or an actual driver. I can vouch for the Die4drive and Flexmod2 because they are both in my projector...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

ok i will try to learn something about this drivers...

Smile

Easy guys - don't forget the language barrier.

Hello djlorenz!

There are several posts here that talk about various drivers that will work to power your DVD diode. However, if you don't know the maximum current that the diode is rated for, you could destroy it. That is what Anthony and AllThatWhichIs were trying to say.

You may want to search for "die4drive" and "flexmod". That should bring up several threads talking about those two popular hobbyist driver circuits. There is also the "StanHam" driver, which you may want to look at as well.

If you have any information about where the DVD diode came from (make and model of the burner, or at least the rated speed of the burner), that will be useful in figuring out which diode you have, and thus how much current it is designed to handle.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 01-27-2009 at 05:20. Reason: Added links

hi adam thankyou for your answer... unfotunatly due to the language problems and less time, i can't find a lot about... i have this diode unmouted from a old dvd burner (i think 4X write) and i was thinking to buy an optic to collimate it and a diode driver for little experiments...
    tomorrow i have the informatic exam... after that... i will try to find something on photolexicon!

Bye

hi adam thankyou for your answer... unfotunatly due to the language problems and less time, i can't find a lot about... i have this diode unmouted from a old dvd burner (i think 4X write) and i was thinking to buy an optic to collimate it and a diode driver for little experiments...
    tomorrow i have the informatic exam... after that... i will try to find something on photolexicon!

Bye
    a 4x dvd burner wont give you much power anyway. maybe 50-75mw MAX. use a 16-22x burner if you want to use dvd drives.
    http://modwerx.com

Modwerx stocks several components, accessories, and tools for the laser hobbyist and professionals!

Always remember to keep it safe and sane by practicing proper laser safety whether your into pointers or laser shows!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety