Thread: Beware of S-KY/LaserBTB/SKY laser

Default Beware of S-KY/LaserBTB/SKY laser

Recently, a friend sent me a S-KY laser to work out a deal for a return of it. The laser was bought through a group buy on another forum. It is one of the focusable S-KY units that was previously advertised on this forum as being FDA compliant and very high quality. Let me just say, it is neither. The laser is horrible quality, not to mention, not working at all.

I will post pictures and more info soon.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Finally someone else can back me up. I was banging this old horse for at least a year.))
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

This wasn't my first experience with them. A while back, I got a 1/2W green module from them. They said it had Analogue modulation. Not one of the specs they gave me was true. It didn't have an IR filter in it, and even with the IR included, it was only like 450mW tops. It died about 5 hours after getting it.

I am actually really surprised. The have lied about their products being legal, on this forum! They put false, illegal warning labels on the products. And they shipped shoddy quality things with a "Power spec sheet" that was not from the laser.
    CLICKY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    This wasn't my first experience with them. A while back, I got a 1/2W green module from them. They said it had Analogue modulation. Not one of the specs they gave me was true. It didn't have an IR filter in it, and even with the IR included, it was only like 450mW tops. It died about 5 hours after getting it.

I am actually really surprised. The have lied about their products being legal, on this forum! They put false, illegal warning labels on the products. And they shipped shoddy quality things with a "Power spec sheet" that was not from the laser.
    Here are some pictures. They are really big so you can see in detail how crappy this thing is!

A few things to note...

On the pictures of the key switch, the key can be removed in either position, on or off

None of the things shown in the pictures took any force to remove, all came apart with no glue or loc-tite.

The stickers were faded when received.

The box is marked 100mW which is about what the laser is producing in raw green. The lens on the output is missing as the beam is completely uncollimated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4181.JPG  

IMG_4168.JPG  

IMG_4099.JPG  

IMG_4129.JPG  

IMG_4139.JPG  

IMG_4141.JPG  

IMG_4116.JPG  

IMG_4109.JPG  

IMG_4102.JPG  

CLICKY!!!

A little history on that laser that you may not know...
    It was originally purchased from S-KY by an Australian LPF teen forum member for his resale website 'BlazeLasers', not from a groupbuy. This was an early model laser and the final collimator lens (which did originally exist) was loose and he attempted to fix it himself instead of sending it back. Somewhere around this time superglue was used to fasten the beam expander holder (which was apparently removed for curiosity), ruining a crystal facet and the expander optics.
    After all this it was sent to me for 'repair' from a Hawaiian teen but I sent it back due to its impossible state with glue on the lenses.

So, this laser has been around and fiddled with a lot, it is not an honest representation of their quality, even if it hadn't been messed up I.E. the new optics are better, the keyswitch locks the key in, it has a new body and newer driver.

However, the lack of an on-time delay is a clear accession issue, and the stickers clearly are for show.

I had 2 Laserbtb lasers and they both died in no time. The build quality of the first one..was just plain horrible. The second was better designed outside but inside it was horrible. The assembly was waay off so the lens had to be glued on the side of the hole. The main lens had to on the side too but someone didn't glue it right and there was a hole so the laser wasn't properly sealed. Plus there was a glue on the lens. It died only after 100 hours.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!