Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Penny Vs. Big Scary Laser.....

Very Nice!

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Wink

How about a pair of safety goggles on a mannequin head with a sheeps eyeball in the socket so we can see what it'd do to some soft flesh.

Or maybe that'd be one for nearer Halloween........

Damn! Very nice!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Damn! Very nice!
    Do me a favor, Lead by example and put a class IV sticker on that puppy. I know its a experimental laser in your pool room, but if your video ever became hot item of the day on Slashdot, I'd feel better if the warning was there and on top of your diode driver, too.

Then we are gonna focus that into a cell of iodine or potassium vapor and make the vapor lase.

Steve

Wow.
    that is whole lot of IR!
    How well did the ThermoTek keep up with that current?

Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Very Nice!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    How about a pair of safety goggles on a mannequin head with a sheeps eyeball in the socket so we can see what it'd do to some soft flesh.

Or maybe that'd be one for nearer Halloween........
    Ha! Yeah, I'm sure you guys in the UK have sheep eyeballs in every grocery store but around here their a little hard to come by. Besides I just spent $65 on a new set of IR goggles and I'd hate to destroy them yet. However, I will put meat on the list of things to vaporize.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Damn! Very nice!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Do me a favor, Lead by example and put a class IV sticker on that puppy. I know its a experimental laser in your pool room, but if your video ever became hot item of the day on Slashdot, I'd feel better if the warning was there and on top of your diode driver, too.

Then we are gonna focus that into a cell of iodine or potassium vapor and make the vapor lase.

Steve
    I completely agree. It's funny because this module currently has the typical warnings like you.d find on a class I laser like, "Avoid Exposure" Does anyone know where I could buy quality Class IV warning stickers in small quantities? I used to receive them as "samples" back when I was a kid.

I'm very interested in that potassium or iodine vapor experiment. I have KCLO3 and KCLO4 handy. Would that work? No pure iodine but I know how to synth that. What could I do for a "cell"? Gotta find something that could take the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    Wow.
    that is whole lot of IR!
    How well did the ThermoTek keep up with that current?
    Oh yes, The chiller does not even know the difference, more than enough cooling capacity. I did have to wire in the thermistor on the head to see what the diode was seeing. Since the diode likes to see around 21C it's best to keep the chiller around 15C so the diode peaks out between 20-22C.

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    Very cool.
    Thanks Again!

As I said.. matchbox car!

Would be good fun..

One question - how the F(*&# does that camera not completely crap out with the amount of iR that beast is chucking out?

Be careful Copper and it's oxide reflect a lot of that IR energy. The reason the camera didn't crap on ya is that it has an internal IR reject filter inside.