Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser emergency stop over ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    What you do is, you send a stream of packets which are required to keep the shutter open. If one doesn't arrive when it should, you close the shutter.

This type of safety system is commonly used in industrial control, and is what I have implemented between my laser and my control booth- if there's no signal positively maintaining communication, it all goes dark, and it does it fast.

Of course, I also have a current loop kill switch just in case.
    Just in case? Just in case what?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    What you do is, you send a stream of packets which are required to keep the shutter open. If one doesn't arrive when it should, you close the shutter.

This type of safety system is commonly used in industrial control, and is what I have implemented between my laser and my control booth- if there's no signal positively maintaining communication, it all goes dark, and it does it fast.

Of course, I also have a current loop kill switch just in case.
    Thank you that makes much more sense!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

I don't follow the logic here.

Replace a switch and spare conductors of the network cable with 2 microprocessors and IP? Why?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post

Replace a switch and spare conductors of the network cable with 2 microprocessors and IP? Why?!!!!
    You are right after thinking about power over ethernet connectors for routers you could have a break out box before the QM.NET going to the projector interlock/shutter circuit. That may be an easy work around.

-Adam

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

That is exactly what I'm doing

Just about to get a run of universal boards done up

That is exactly what I'm doing

Just about to get a run of universal boards done up
    crap, full circle. Well you are right on track sorry.

-Adam

The micro's not using IP, it's using USB over an ethernet cable, and it also does fan speed control for the projector enclosure and power sequencing. Using USB, ethernet, or IP is desirable because it can be run through hubs to get desirable features like multi-projector control and longer range. Using a current loop will ultimately limit your range due to the resistance of the line; I can just drop a $25 switch in there and keep going.

The microprocessor costs a massive $1.20, you've gotta love living in the future. It needs three external components to do its job. Total cost including the PCB was under $10.

I also have the standard ILDA-style current loop because it seemed churlish to remove a feature I already had just because I'd added a new one :-)

I have changed the schematic and I now will put a AC power relais in the network switch to switch off the QM and the complete laser and a relais in the laser to cut off the power of the laser PSU's

Wat do you think of this solution? Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dodemansknop v2.jpg  

i like it.. its an ALL STOP.. now you need to add a Shutter button to JUST close the shutter without an ALL STOP.. just a thought..
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    i like it.. its an ALL STOP.. now you need to add a Shutter button to JUST close the shutter without an ALL STOP.. just a thought..
    I dont understand.
    With the RED emergency button you only turn off the lasers, but NOT the galvos, and QM's. similar like a shutter, because according some document from Bill you do not need a mechanical shutter if you can turn off the laser PSU's to kill the light.

The key switch will turn off everything to shut down the QM in case a QM fails (yes you can have problems with qm.nets) or turn off all the equipment
    when you want to prevent people to control the laser when you are not arround.

Next week I will make a working Prototype, My keyswitch and emergency switch just arived
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dodemansknop mechanisch v2.jpg