Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Laser emergency stop over ethernet

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield

This plus arduino plus normally-open relay -> done

So my method is very practicle isnt it.

I studdied more of this while being at events in the past few days and while we did not need to use an e stops we did leave the location to eat and had to manually go around and turn everything off. This method looks actually very useful.

i have one of my guys making a mockup system so we await ideas to be included.

I have finished my Laser Safety Stop over Ethernet.

I have build my 2 QM.net's in a box and wired all connections to external connectors in the box.

I also put a switch in a box and wires all lan connections to a Ethercon, so I could do the modification.

About the laser stop, the normal red RJ45 goes into your laptop, and the Ethercon goes to my 80 meters Cat5 cable, running to my switch on stage.

For now I use a solid state relais inside the projector to power it down becouse I have no shutter yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laser stop.JPG  

Laser Safety Stop v5.jpg  

Laser Warning

I have updated my design to be compliant with the EN60825-1 manual reset function

Also minor modification needs to be done for the QM.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laser Safety Stop v2.0.jpg  

Last edited by mccarrot; 11-22-2009 at 13:19.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    You can't give them all the same IP address since that will upset the switch. IP addresses are resolved to MAC addresses by a thing called an ARP table. Multiple MAC addresses for a single IP address will lead to the switches getting confused, desynced, and either delivering all the traffic to one host or not delivering it at all.

However, there's no real reason to use IP at all in a product like this. Why not just use raw ethernet frames? They are not routable, but if you're routing this traffic you need to think seriously about end-to-end reliability anyway.
    hate to respond to such an old post but (most) switches are layer 2 devices, they only deal with MAC addresses and never see IP addresses...

also making a protocol from scratch would be time consuming and silly, i would make a modified ICMP packet or something if absolutely necessary... but mccarrots solution is by far the best since if you make everything normally closed it will fail shut, so if someone unplugs the cable, you cant send a "turn off packet" but if it breaks the circuit you can turn off the projector...

does the QM.net have a link light? would be nice to have the shutter close if you lose link for whatever reason

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    does the QM.net have a link light? would be nice to have the shutter close if you lose link for whatever reason
    Yes you have a link output on the .net

Sure, if someone unplugs the cable, you cant send a turn off packet, but that is not the way it would be done. What would be done is the transmitter would be sending packets as long as the shutter should be open. If it does not receive a packet in 0.xx seconds, the shutter will close.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    hate to respond to such an old post but (most) switches are layer 2 devices, they only deal with MAC addresses and never see IP addresses...

also making a protocol from scratch would be time consuming and silly, i would make a modified ICMP packet or something if absolutely necessary... but mccarrots solution is by far the best since if you make everything normally closed it will fail shut, so if someone unplugs the cable, you cant send a "turn off packet" but if it breaks the circuit you can turn off the projector...

KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Sure, if someone unplugs the cable, you cant send a turn off packet, but that is not the way it would be done. What would be done is the transmitter would be sending packets as long as the shutter should be open. If it does not receive a packet in 0.xx seconds, the shutter will close.
    ah like a heart beat signal... definitely doable... but if you use a UDP based protocol like ICMP you have no confirmation the packets got there, so it would have to be a pretty steady stream

I know this is an old thread, but it gave me inspiration and I've reworked mccarrot's wiring concept to achieve a multiplexed remote (kill switch and reset button) and QM.Net ILDA over Ethernet using a single CAT5 cable i.e. no long ILDA cables and no internal modification of the QM.Net required! I've used this once so far and very happy with the results

How?

I've got two boxes I've made up, each with two RJ45 plugs - one marked "muxed" and the other marked "ethernet". One box has a male DB-9 and the other a female DB-9. I plug the longest CAT5 cable into the "muxed" sockets, and this links the two (all 8 conductors). I plug a shorter CAT5 into each "ethernet" socket, one for the laptop, the other for the QM.Net. On the laptop side, the DB-9 connects to the remote and on the QM.Net side, the DB-9 connects to the projector's remote connector. The 2 spare pairs from the "muxed" sockets are internally rerouted to specific pins on each of the DB-9s. Only the 2 pairs associated with Ethernet are connected to the "ethernet" sockets. This set-up allows the merge and split of the remote and ILDAoE signals.

When I currently connect the remote directly to the projector using a 9-way cable, I get the benefit of the ready/emission indicators. When used over the CAT5, I am missing these ready/emission indicators as the 2 spare pairs are fully utilised just to service the kill switch and reset button circuits. Of course if someone knows a way to multiplex a reset button and either an emission indicator single colour LED, or ideally an emission indicator/ready indicator bi-colour LED, then I'd love to know (I believe it's probably wise to keep the kill switch wiring pair dedicated to just that purpose).

Hopefully someone else will find this useful.