Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manual scanner

I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to rig a joystick with dual gang pots, then as DrLava suggested; you would have a simple silicone free, resistance based voltage divider.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Andy - DrLava is correct. Do you need differential?

I need to feed pretty much the same analog as a standard laser show controller such as pangolin. Cant remember what the output levels are. To have + 0 and -

A standard controller should have a range of +5V to -5V relative to ground on two differential outputs: + and -. This gives a total differential of 10V max. To do this with a single pot per axis and an op-amp is easy, just use an inverting op amp with a gain of one and there you go. While you're using op-amps, you might as well use a chip with a quad package so the outputs are all buffered. I'm sure someone will draw it up.

similar discussion here
    http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=120734
    site is slow but it will load
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

DrLava - wouldn't my original design work if I placed another pot in parallel with the first, only wired opposite? So when one is +5, the other is -5?

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    A standard controller should have a range of +5V to -5V relative to ground on two differential outputs: + and -. This gives a total differential of 10V max. To do this with a single pot per axis and an op-amp is easy, just use an inverting op amp with a gain of one and there you go. While you're using op-amps, you might as well use a chip with a quad package so the outputs are all buffered. I'm sure someone will draw it up.

I love it when somebody says "is easy".

Quote Originally Posted by trwalters001 View Post
    DrLava - wouldn't my original design work if I placed another pot in parallel with the first, only wired opposite? So when one is +5, the other is -5?
    Yes that is a description of my first posted circuit.

In that case, if it were me, I'd use DrLava's circuit.

I guess this is an opp amp circuit right, usualy they have a description, anyone now what this style has?

I was just wondering something:

The problem seams to be differencial right?

If the output from the op amp can go - and + in respect to ground and we take that output to the + of the scanner amp + input and the op amp ground to the scanner amp - do we have full scale movement or still only half?