Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dac da mac

I think that agent C realy has the answer here..
    if he is doing it in Java then James could do it in C (since Java is a derivative language)\
    and if the Java classes are well defines in Agent Cs code then it would be easy to use it as a reference to create a java program that does exactly what want to do..
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    if he is doing it in Java then James could do it in C (since Java is a derivative language)
    Uh, that's not really true, at least not for that reason; however, James could do it in C if he cared about making show software, which he doesn't.

So... that's not going to happen.

-J.,
    originator of the LaserBoy Mac port

hehehe so true, Heroic.

A big problem is audio library portability. J-SYN is a semi-portable java library in that it needs a platform specific lib/dll which receives calls from the platform independent java code. I am not familiar with a portable C audio library, but as I've learned in the lab, not knowing the existence of something is very different from something not existing. On OS X, it is possible in C or gcc or whatever to use OS X CoreAudio to write to any of the 8 channels on the CM usb boxes if something had to be done in C. I suspect VLC was written using CoreAudio, and VLC will play multichannel wavs back just fine on a Mac over the CM usb - something else I have tested and can confirm working.

If I were to set out and make a mac specific version of an existing app, then portability of the audio subsystem wouldn't be a major concern. If everything was abstracted nicely it would be a straightforward process and I would rely heavily on the platform specific features available.

Since we've already addressed the "does the CM work on a mac" question and we're getting derailed, I just want to add that I am not strictly a mac person. I'm developing on my mac laptop because it's very much a spare computer and the only laptop I own atm. I have an xp64 desktop, the g4 laptop, an ubuntu system in a little cube case, and an Octane. The Octane is the only computer I don't plan to run my app on.

bump! has this ever gone anywhere? looking to find a mac-native* solution w/o needing to emulate winblows please ? does anyone know of such a creature ?

* - does not mean it can't run on other platforms (e.g. java), just that no emulation of other os's being needed.. of course, something written in obj-c would be ideal tho

I'll probably make a native Mac version of Spaghetti in the future but probably not til 2012 at least.

PortAudio provides portable audio IO for Windows native, ASIO, CoreAudio, Soundmanager, Linux (ALSA and JACK), BSD....

The setup calls are a little nasty as some of these are sufficiently close to the hardware to, frankly, be a pain in the arse, but it does work.

I have had good luck with it.

Regards, Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I'll probably make a native Mac version of Spaghetti in the future but probably not til 2012 at least.
    alright!! sounds exciting anything i can do to help make this happen sooner? i have some coding experience if ya wanna gimme some small tasks (maybe design a UI?)

Never went anywhere from me. My laser software development took a back seat once my thesis project went into high gear. I'll pick it back up at some point and try to maintain mac compatibility, even though my mac is hopelessly outdated. Is Spaghetti still being developed in central Texas?

~C

Quote Originally Posted by Agent C View Post
    Is Spaghetti still being developed in central Texas?
    It's being developed in NC now.