Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: RGBV laser

i may be corrected here...

but the power of the beam when scanning is still the exact same power. i think that is a misonception of lasers and "safe audience scanning." thinking that, as long as the beam is moving, it isnt as powerful. this is NOT TRUE. (i think, from my understanding )

the *POWER PER AREA* is less. but at any one given point, the power is still exactly the same.

if your drawing a square with the laser, obviously that "one beam" is moving around quickly to make that square shape. therefore the power of that beam over the area covered is spread out.

if you stopped that drawing suddenly at any one given point, the power of the beam is still "X" watts (or mW)

hope i didnt confuse you any more than you already were...

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Default You are all not very encouraging

After listening to ALLTHATWHICHIS, STUKA and GOTTALUVLASERS............I'm not very encouraged. At least the places you guys seem to work is out of sigh......my livingroom is as soon as you walk in the house. When he (DJMatt) gets it like it's suppose to be I'll be having free entertainment. Who needs TV when you have a laser show? You guys ROCK! Cat

Question

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    i may be corrected here...

but the power of the beam when scanning is still the exact same power. i think that is a misonception of lasers and "safe audience scanning." thinking that, as long as the beam is moving, it isnt as powerful. this is NOT TRUE. (i think, from my understanding )

the *POWER PER AREA* is less. but at any one given point, the power is still exactly the same.

if your drawing a square with the laser, obviously that "one beam" is moving around quickly to make that square shape. therefore the power of that beam over the area covered is spread out.

if you stopped that drawing suddenly at any one given point, the power of the beam is still "X" watts (or mW)

hope i didnt confuse you any more than you already were...

-Marc
    That what I thought,but I just wanted to hear from the experts!!!
    I was just wondering. Ive seen formulas to get the beam power at so many feet....Too Much Math!!!!
    I guess the bottom line is 1 watt at the front 1 watt 50 feet away. right?

Ok heres another ?
    How would a laser handle a raster video of its self? In theory is would be just fine,but how would it react to reproducing a laser beam in raster? I know I have too much time to think about stuff like that!!

djmatt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    That what I thought,but I just wanted to hear from the experts!!!
    I was just wondering. Ive seen formulas to get the beam power at so many feet....Too Much Math!!!!
    I guess the bottom line is 1 watt at the front 1 watt 50 feet away. right?

Well, there's power and there's power.

It's important to remember that power is energy delivered divided by the time taken to deliver it- one watt is one joule per second. But when you're talking about physical effects, what's more important than the total energy delivered or the rate of doing it, is the energy delivered to any one spot. This is what we call "power density", and is measured in watts divided by the area across which they are spread.

Now, remember that we're dividing these numbers out, which means we're talking about averaging. Put yourself in the position of one particular spot on the wall, and imagine what happens to you when you're being scanned. Let's say that you're being scanned ten times a second, each time for a tenth of a second, with a laser that has a power of one watt. That means that nine tenths of the time, the laser is pointing at something else; you only get exposed to one tenth of the power. That's your average exposure. However, during the other tenth of the time, when the beam is pointing directly at you, you're not being exposed to 0.1 watts- you're being exposed to the full watt!

What happens at this point depends on what kind of material you're made of; if you're made of some relatively inert, conductive material, the heat won't build up much during that time and the average power will give a good indication of the effects. If you're made of something that's sensitive to light- say a camera sensor, a projector DLP or a human retina- then the peak power is more important than the average power!

If you're scanning really really fast, then you might reach the point where the delivered energy to any one point during the scan interval is safe even for sensitive materials, and then the average power delivered is again the more appropriate number to describe what's going on. (You would need to be scanning very very very fast to do this with an eye, though; somewhat less so with a camera.)

So that's the story with scanning. However, there's another effect, and that's power density again; the size of the beam affects the power density, as I said earlier, and even laser beams gradually spread out (that's what divergence is). Divergence is measured in radians, which you may remember from high school are a measure of angle. The way this works is, at a divergence of one radian, one metre out from the source, the beam will be one metre wide. Obviously a radian is a pretty big unit, so we tend to use milliradians for lasers- 1/1000th of a radian. A decent DPSS will give you a divergence of 1 milliradian or so. So this is another way of saying, ten metres away from the projector, the beam will be one centimetre wide. Obviously as the beam spreads, the energy in it spreads too; the power density reduces. This is how safe audience scanning is achieved with powerful lasers- you use diverged beams so that the pupils of the audience don't catch more than a safe amount of the energy.

Hope this helps to explain the principles behind the equations!

-J.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    Well, there's power and there's power.

It's important to remember that power is energy delivered divided by the time taken to deliver it- one watt is one joule per second. But when you're talking about physical effects, what's more important than the total energy delivered or the rate of doing it, is the energy delivered to any one spot. This is what we call "power density", and is measured in watts divided by the area across which they are spread.

Now, remember that we're dividing these numbers out, which means we're talking about averaging. Put yourself in the position of one particular spot on the wall, and imagine what happens to you when you're being scanned. Let's say that you're being scanned ten times a second, each time for a tenth of a second, with a laser that has a power of one watt. That means that nine tenths of the time, the laser is pointing at something else; you only get exposed to one tenth of the power. That's your average exposure. However, during the other tenth of the time, when the beam is pointing directly at you, you're not being exposed to 0.1 watts- you're being exposed to the full watt!

What happens at this point depends on what kind of material you're made of; if you're made of some relatively inert, conductive material, the heat won't build up much during that time and the average power will give a good indication of the effects. If you're made of something that's sensitive to light- say a camera sensor, a projector DLP or a human retina- then the peak power is more important than the average power!

If you're scanning really really fast, then you might reach the point where the delivered energy to any one point during the scan interval is safe even for sensitive materials, and then the average power delivered is again the more appropriate number to describe what's going on. (You would need to be scanning very very very fast to do this with an eye, though; somewhat less so with a camera.)

So that's the story with scanning. However, there's another effect, and that's power density again; the size of the beam affects the power density, as I said earlier, and even laser beams gradually spread out (that's what divergence is). Divergence is measured in radians, which you may remember from high school are a measure of angle. The way this works is, at a divergence of one radian, one metre out from the source, the beam will be one metre wide. Obviously a radian is a pretty big unit, so we tend to use milliradians for lasers- 1/1000th of a radian. A decent DPSS will give you a divergence of 1 milliradian or so. So this is another way of saying, ten metres away from the projector, the beam will be one centimetre wide. Obviously as the beam spreads, the energy in it spreads too; the power density reduces. This is how safe audience scanning is achieved with powerful lasers- you use diverged beams so that the pupils of the audience don't catch more than a safe amount of the energy.

Hope this helps to explain the principles behind the equations!

-J.
    Wow!! This is alot to take in But this helps I just printed this out so i can study it more.I would like to try to figure out how to do all this and see what I can come up with for mine. This stuff is just too cool to me!!!

Thanks for taking your time to tell me all this!!

djmatt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Red face If you need a laugh...

Well I was just messing around with my scanner trying to set all the optics,and well some how in doing so,I bumped them and they all moved and I now have a Pink laser
    oh well!!
    time to realine

djmatt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 027.jpg  

Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Well I was just messing around with my scanner trying to set all the optics,and well some how in doing so,I bumped them and they all moved and I now have a Pink laser
    oh well!!
    time to realine

djmatt
    Woops! Yeah, alignment can be "Fun" for lack of better words. Looks like you're almost there.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Woops! Yeah, alignment can be "Fun" for lack of better words. Looks like you're almost there.
    Yeah!! Im finding that out the hard way!! Oh well all part of the fun!!
    But for maybe 30sec. it was blindingly white!!
    So I know it can do it

djmatt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Yeah!! Im finding that out the hard way!! Oh well all part of the fun!!
    But for maybe 30sec. it was blindingly white!!
    So I know it can do it

djmatt

Everybody's different but I find it easier to align with one point and all lasers at their lowest lasing threshold. That way you can get one dot on your x galvo and one dot on the wall.

As another laser newbie but quite used to dealing with risky/potentially dangerous type of equipment I think that 300EVIL has just raised a really good point.

When playing with optics, TURN THE POWER DOWN!! You have a whole lot of power there and your playing with mirrors and your inches away from it all. You said you already just suffered an eye full, so wind the power right down and set the optics then