Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Chroma - a laser color blender

White balance is different to individual visibility as you've noticed. You can achieve white balance over a wide range of mixtures and in doing so produce many differing shades of white Which is most pleasing to the eye is a matter for individuality and personal preference and tuning. (In chroma don't focus your attention so much on the spot and "X" as the larger feint white triangle and you'll see the white balance area is actually quite large).

The main point behind a programme like Chroma or even guidline ratios produced from experience, is to give a guideline as to how much power of each module you should buy for any given overall power figure to allow you to achieve a reasonable white without wasting large amounts of power due to adjustment, as to do it that way effectively wastes money on modules that could have been smaller and thus money that could have been used elsehere.

Also, as pointed out in the heated discussion above, the brightness of individual colours depends not only on the wavelength or power, but also the ambient brightness of the situation in which it is viewed as the eye has a differeing colour response according to whether its totally dark, dim or daylight.

i was thinking last night, and thought that this program cant work for a exact white anyway.
    Because beam size and divergence do not come into play. A beam size of 5mm will be alot less bright then a beam of 3mm.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

whats beam size got to do with the actual colour, errr nothing what so ever.........
    its either brighter or darker but base colour will remain the same, as the power of the lasers will be the same
    its just appearance to the eye.
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

I think Borg might've been referring to the luminous flux estimates.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Dont know what you two mean, but a 5mm beam will appear alot less bright then a 1 mm beam, both on same wavelength and power.

Dont know what you two mean
    In most cases, the feeling is mutual

What we are talking about is:

Chroma is about colour.

You said:

i was thinking last night, and thought that this program cant work for a exact white anyway.
    Because beam size and divergence do not come into play. A beam size of 5mm will be alot less bright then a beam of 3mm.
    ...which introduced brightness (and power density) into the argument.

Chroma does provide information about luminous flux, but as you probably aren't aware what it is, you probably weren't referring to it.

So...

Dont know what you two mean, but a 5mm beam will appear alot less bright then a 1 mm beam, both on same wavelength and power.
    How does this statement relate to Chroma?
    Frikkin Lasers

because i thought chroma was made to calculate a good white.
    Well if you have a 5mm beam red, and a 1mm green.....green is much more brighter because its more focussed beam. (ofcource its brighter anyways but i hope you now understand what im saying)
    Brightness can increase and decrease because distance & mrad, and because the beam size. if the lasers all have a very different beam size, you wont get a nice white although chroma will say you do.

because i thought chroma was made to calculate a good white.
    It does, but it assumes that you have perfect overlap with the beams.

If you have a much bigger diameter beam in one colour, it should be obvious that the part that mixes will be smaller, and so lower in power than the whole of the beam.
    Frikkin Lasers

Oh okay..."it assumes".
    It would better be having a field to enter the data of beam size^^

I think its great that someone like tocket even want to spend all his time to develop a program like this. If you know exactly what is needed i would say : start programming!!!!

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!