Thread: MythBusters Do Lasers...

Default MythBusters Do Lasers...

Just in case anyone missed it.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmVxSFnjYCA

Brilliant and so cool

Thanks for posting that.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I watched a program about lasers and the moon and apparently there is an observatory that does nothing every day but fire lasers at the moon to measure the distance between the moon and earth because apparently the moon is drifting out into space away from the earth.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

<Fraser Mode>
    We're all Dooomed I tell ya !
    </Fraser Mode>

300Evil

Were you aware that they do a similar test nightly right in your back yard? Yerkes Observatory shoots across the Lake to a mirror on top of the old Majestic Ski hill ~10:30 PM. They feed the atmospheric data to the other observatories, I understand that they do bounce off the moon mirrors a few times a year but I have never been able to find out much more.

http://astro.uchicago.edu/chaos/poster3/poster3.html

Quote Originally Posted by -=Jim=- View Post
    300Evil

Were you aware that they do a similar test nightly right in your back yard? Yerkes Observatory shoots across the Lake to a mirror on top of the old Majestic Ski hill ~10:30 PM. They feed the atmospheric data to the other observatories, I understand that they do bounce off the moon mirrors a few times a year but I have never been able to find out much more.

http://astro.uchicago.edu/chaos/poster3/poster3.html
    Hey Jim,
    Wow! that's pretty cool! I've been there a dozen times and I never knew that had a laser. If it's only an argon pumped dye, I doubt they can hit the moon but they may have other toys. I have seen the old Majestic Ski hill, It would make sense for them to hit a mirror over there to gain atmospheric data since it's right across the lake. I'm gonna have to take a closer look into this and see if I can join in on the fun.
    Thanks!
    Adam

Last edited by 300EVIL; 04-20-2009 at 19:16.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    <Fraser Mode>
    We're all Dooomed I tell ya !
    </Fraser Mode>
    That made me really chuckle ... It comes from a Scottish man called Fraser in a ancient British comedy program called Dads Army for those who might be wondering.
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    That made me really chuckle ... It comes from a Scottish man called Fraser in a ancient British comedy program called Dads Army for those who might be wondering.

PBS here picked up that show. It could be worse, your last name could be "Mainwaring"

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    PBS here picked up that show. It could be worse, your last name could be "Mainwaring"

Steve
    Ahhh... An all time classic

What's is your name... Don't tell em Pike

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001