Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pelosh & Kvant

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    Hey Mark

Looks good way better than my 900mw version..

What are the quoted beam specs for this model. (diameter and divergence)

My unit looks identical except it has more pcb's on the driver. (also mine is not black its all shiny ali).

When you run your's at a lower power setting are all of the beams in a nice concentration ? mine aren't and I have one 'dot' that sits out the side.
    They were not able to meet their original hoped for spec' it seems at 900mw.

I will post a pix as soon as I can to show.

Its just such a long way and high cost to send back for service.
    Maybe the price one pays for the being nearly the first at buying a new model.

Cheers

Ray
    Hi Ray,

Mine was specified as 3.5mm beam <1.8 Mrad... But it is way better than that, I think it is more like 3mm with 1 Mrad...

I don't have it in a projector yet, still waiting for some other modules to turn up But, when I tweaked the modulation signal down from a benchtop PSU the beam stayed in the same profile...

Would be interested to see pics.... By the way, I believe you have an arctos 445nm, would you mind me asking how much it cost and what power it is? I really want one to mix with my pair of 473's through a narrowband dichro to open up the colour gammut.. But they are hellishly expensive...

Cheers
    Mark

Just to add to this, I have just received a 1.2W 640nm Red module from Kvant and would also like to compliment Martin Pelosh on his rapid replies to emails and great customer service. Hopefully I'll be able to take some pics over the weekend and get them posted on here asap.

Hi Mark,

Yep sure sounds like your Kvant red is way better than mine. Mine is a very early one and no doubt they have improved since then.
    I am now very concerned with my unit given your good experience and others. I will have to contact Pelosh /Kvant and look into what to do.

Re the dichro, I got a Semrock filter , must be the most expensive piece of 1" glass anywhere.
    My Arctos blue 445 is a 500mw job. Very simple but just great to look at. By combining I think you get the best of both worlds. By the way when Arctos say its OEM they mean it. There is no heatsink, fans or anything just the bare unit.

Re cost.. a suggestion. I have noticed that the Europeans seem to have sales about twice a year.. usually a winter sale and a summer sale. Keep an eye out you can save some good money on this.
    PM me and I will send you what I paid for it.

Pelosh..

I have been here over the months but my wife was very sick for about six or eight months so have been unable to do much laser work. Back into it now.
    I am not knocking Kvant just trying to find out what this unit should really be like. It is quite dissapointing. In fact I wouldnt even put it into my RGB projector right now.
    Returning this unit to Europe is about $350.00 (NZ$) freight each way so you will understnd my reluctance to rush in.
    I will be in touch soon via PM, my unit has less than one hour on it (in fact its still lives in its original box). There is simething very wrong here given the great experiences others have had with Kvant.

My beam starts at 4.5mm (not the original spec given) and by the time it goes just 3.5 mtrs it is twice that size about 10mm. By the time it goes accross a venue its going to be huge !! Also by this time it is badly distorted. Will send you some pix.

Dave..

I thought about taking the lid off but its still under warranty so haven't touched it. Just in case this can be fixed at the factory.. or is it a design issue ??

Cheers

Ray

Hi Ray, as you probably know there's 6 diodes in there and whatever the size of that one stray spot is, that should be the pretty much the overall spot size when they are all aligned. If they are out, it will affect the initial spot size as well, how much will depend on the design.
    Hopefully this can be "self sorted" without the need to return the unit or voiding the warranty as it should be an easy fix..

Keep us posted

Hi again,
    Yep I think it is a design issue in addition to the stray spot. I have PM's Pelosh and sent some photos to him.
    Even if the dots did form a circle the overall divergence seems very high to me. As mentioned in just 3.5 mtrs the "dot" is twice the size.
    Even at the exit aperture the dots are not tight,Interestingly they even at this point. The stry one seems to show at at the three metre mark. Its got Marty Feldman eyes (showing my age here, only UK Aussie and NZ oldfarts will know who he is I think).
    I'll wait till I hear back from Pelosh on this.
    It appears to me that even if I could fix this one dot, the beam is still going to be too big to use in a projector.
    The penalty of being first in line here I think.
    Key point I am not knocking Kvant only trying to figure out why my one is nowhere near as good as others.

Cheers

Ray

Abby Normal??