Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very Plesant Trade with smogthemog

Thumbs up Very Plesant Trade with smogthemog

I just got my laser in today from Jim, and I have to say I am more then happy!

I bought the Coherent OPSL 488-20 and got all the money to Jim by the 15th and here we are today, the 22nd with the laser in hand. I am happy with the deal I got and with the great communication. I would recommend anyone here to smogthemog!

Jim,

THANK YOU!

Ben

And yes... I know pictures are needed, those will come as soon as I find the charger for my camera...
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Well it would have been a pleasurable trade this end Ben if you had only kept your side of the transaction.
    A $450 300mW 532 laser pointer that never did turn up here
    Promises where given many times from you that you where going to pay the outstanding balance ASAP but to date you still owe me $200 on the transaction.
    Now absolute silence from you for the last 3 or so weeks!

BUT - it's good to know your happy with your OPSL!
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

I also had dealing with LASER BEN some years ago , i put it down to his age at the time ....... i reserved a pair of scanners and i was doing him a favour selling him them at cost , time , likely months went by , when i queried his answer was he sent cash by post with no tracking and it must have went missing mmmmmmmm and he didnt seem to give a monkeys about the apparent missing money which lead me to beleive it was an untruth . Personally i would not trade with Ben again , and would recommmend caution by anyone else dealing with him.

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Any news Ben on when I can have the outstanding money from you?

Thanks

EDIT - Can anyone PM me Ben's home address if they know it please?
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

I got this mail off of Ben this morning titled ' A note...' in a kind of threatening way along with a Payment of $100 which i suppose was a result.

I will NOT be threatened Ben by someone that owes me money!

Below is the transcript of PM's sent between myself and Ben over the last several months and as you will see I have got a little agitated in the past with him with his complete lack of respect for someone HE owes money too!
    I only wish is showed time spans between his replies as they where not always too forth coming.

This may well forfeit any further payment but people need to know about his dealings.

Names and addresses and any sensitive bits have been removed.

-----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Well, Jim, I see you are requesting my address. May I ask why? I have no problem giving it to you neither do I have a problem giving you the rest of the money. The part that pisses me off is your rude, disrespectful, and untrue comments in my threads, especially when I am trying to sell something to pay you back.

I will send you $100 now. That is all I have, and I will put it this way, if I hear you make another untrue or rude comment about me or what I am selling, you will not get the rest of your money and I will post the messages you sent to me using the same foul language you complained about me using.

Regards,
    Ben

-------------------

Re: Coherent OPSL
    Sorry Ben but I have no use for a 'Photon Inc scanning slit beam profiler' plus I have NO money to pay any balance for it either.
    Jim

Hello Jim,
    I wanted to just check in with you.
    I would like to ask if you would be willing to accept something as a trade for the rest of the money. I can send you a working Photon Inc scanning slit beam profiler. I would like to get $250 in addition to repaying the debt I owe you. I believe the value of this is $450 so I would be more then happy to send it to you for a reduced price to cover the debt.
    And yes, I can ship it to you and insure it so it will get there for sure...
    Ben Steigerwald

Originally Posted by smogthemog
    Ben, I now know you have money.
    Full balance of the $200 Payment to be made to me by 18:00hrs tonight 06/07/09 or I am putting all the below text and a full explanation of what has happened between us both onto the reviewer section of PL and LPF.
    I am sick and fed up with waiting - and I, and others, just think you are taking the piss.
    Jim

Originally Posted by Laser Ben Jim,
    As I told you before, I will pay you as I get money. I simply don't have any money and despite what you said in your post, I haven't spent any money.
    Ben

????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????
    Jim

I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have been studying for finals all week and checked my email once. I am sorry.
    I do not have $300 to give you. I just don't, period. I will give you what I can as I get it. Right now, I can give you $75, that is literally all the money I have give or take a few cents...
    I am not trying to be "dodgy" at all. I shipped your laser, I DID. Now, I am out of a expensive laser AND $450. For all I know, the laser was lost in the mail or is stuck in customs. The only reason I am giving you $450 is because I was told that it is the right thing for me to do.
    Ask anyone who has delt with me and they will tell you that I follow through with my deals.
    Regards,
    Ben

What is going on Ben? You really are taking the Piss out of me aren't you!
    Pay up the money and by that I mean ALL the money, $300, by tonight at 18:00hrs GMT or the forum will know of your DODGY, Unscrupulous dealings. I am F****d off with you and you have had far too long.
    18:00hrs GMT tonight 12/06/09
    Jim

Sorry for not getting in contact with you sooner, I have been really busy with finals. I can send you a little bit more today, but I don't have too much. Hopefully I will have more soon.
    Regards,
    Ben

Originally Posted by smogthemog Can I give you a BIG nudge here Ben? I haven't heard from you for ages and you said you would keep in touch!
    Can you transfer any more please?
    Thanks
    Jim

Originally Posted by Laser Ben Hey Jim,
    I would be getting you another payment today, the problem is, some idiot on the LaserPointerForum, claims the 611nm Orange HeNe I sent him doesn't look orange... The fact that it is proven to be 611nm on my spectrometer AND it came out of a machine using 611nm AND it appears to me the same color as my other 611nm hene makes no difference. I will get it sorted out ASAP and get you the money.
    Sorry!
    Ben

Thank you for the payment so far.
    You sent that message on the 24Th and a nudge on the 26Th and it's now the 28Th and I haven't heard a single thing from you since then.
    You make it sound as if it is my problem and that I am a pain asking for the money - well it's not my problem Ben only that I am currently out of pocket due to this transaction, it's your problem so please be a little more courteous in your replies to me. It's NOT me that owes you it's you that owes me. You agreed on the deal and I have kept my half of that deal, it is up to you know to fulfill your half of the deal ASAP.
    I thank you for trying.
    Regards
    Jim

As I told you in my last message, I am sending you money as I get it, I really can't do anything faster. I just deny you every penny I have. Until I sell something else, that is all I can send.
    I am really trying!
    Regards,
    Ben

BEN.
    I HAVE WAITED LONG ENOUGH AND I AM PI$$ED OFF WITH YOU FOR NOT GETTING BACK TO ME AND NOT SORTING THIS OUT!
    IF NOTHING IS SORTED OUT ABOUT THIS BY 20:00HRS GMT TONIGHT 28/05/09 THEN I SHALL GO TO THE FORUM AND CREATE A THREAD IN THE SELLER REVIEW SECTION DETAILING WHAT YOU HAVE DONE REGUARDING THIS TRANSACTION AND WARNING OTHER PEOPLE ABOUT YOUR ACTIONS.
    YOU ARE BEING AWFUL AND DARN RIGHT DISRESPECTFUL ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING. IT WILL NOT GO AWAY!
    JIM

PS - BU*** ALSO TOLD YOU THAT THIS WAS YOUR
    PROBLEM TO SORT OUT!

Originally Posted by Laser Ben
    Dude, I am not trying to rip you off here. I went to the post office and they said there was noting i could do without the receipt. Here is what I will do you you.
    I can send you $450 through paypal which is the value of the pointer from CNI.
    I don't have all of the money right now, but I will send it to you as I get it.
    Ben

Ben - What the F#UCK is going on???????
    I thought you where a decent chap!
    How about the rest of the deal for the 488 laser????
    If nothing is sorted out about this ASAP then I will be writing a report about all this on the forum
    I AM FED UP WITH WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Jim,
    Again, I am really sorry it took so long. I went back through my emails and CNI claimed the pointer was valued at $450 when they sent it to my. It was a deal to pay for the ad space on my website (cost $400 a year) so they made it a nice deal. I don't have any other way of confirming the actual value of the pointer.
    In any case, if I can't turn anything up on the pointer, we can work something out.
    I don't have $450 as of right now, but I can trade you for some stuff and send it to you right away.
    Regards,
    Ben

Ah - life at last!
    If we can sort something out, it would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim

I'm sorry, I am not trying to ignore you. That is for sure not my goal.
    I honestly lost the reciept for the package. I can show you the credit card charge that I sent it and everything, but I can't find the tracking number.
    I sent it to the Gut******* address as you requested. Let me see if they can provide me a tracking number from the shipping charge. Otherwise, at this point since you have not gotten it, I assume it is either stuck in customs or was lost somewhere.
    Let me see what I can dig up and I will get back to you tomorrow.
    Ben

BEN - I HAVE STILL NOT RECEIVED THE 532 POINTER AS YOU PROMISED IN THE TRANSACTION.
    CAN WE PLEASE GET SOMETHING SORTED OUT EITHER BY WAY OF FINDING IT'S WHEREABOUTS OR MONETARY RECOMPENSE?
    IT SHOULD BE HERE BY NOW IF IT WAS SENT WHEN YOU SAID YOU SENT IT.
    PLEASE REPLY TO THIS PM BEFORE IT ALL GETS UGLY AS YOU HAVE IGNORED PM'S FROM ME BEFORE!!!
    THANK YOU
    JIM

Jim,
    I will get the pointer out to you tomorrow via usps. Which of the two addresses would you like it shipped to?
    Ben

Hi Ben.
    Glad you liked the laser
    Any tracking number on the pointer at all?
    Thanks
    Jim

Let me just say Jim, this was one of the best purchases I have made in a while, you were really great with communication and had fast shipping with great packing! I really appreciate you working hard to make this a great sale. I am sorry I had some trouble getting the cash to you on time.
    Thank YOU!
    Ben Steigerwald

If you look in my original posts Ben you will see that I was waiting for one to turn up from the States - It did, the day before I sent it out to you
    Jim

Got it today, looks good, I will power it up tonight, I didn't realize it came with an original user manual!
    Thanks!!!
    Ben

Excellent mate, Hope you like it

Got a notice left for the package today, I will be picking it up ASAP!
    Thanks SO MUCH!
    Ben

Hi Ben.
    If you go here:
    http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/track?trackNumber=
    You will find it
    Jim

Hey Jim,
    I was wondering if the package had been posted yet. The tracking shows no record of either package.
    Ben

There was a cock up with PW worldwide, they didn't receive aknowledgment from Paypal that the order had been placed so I had to cancel the last one and re-do it.
    Very annoying because until I get the first refund it's actually cost me double the amount
    Bloody Paypal - bunch of tossers!
    Jim

You have successfully created a postage label using PayPal Postage with Parcelforce Worldwide ®. Your posting details are below. Once you give the package to the post office, your package will be on its way.
    Your tracking number is EE3440***03GB. Please keep this number for your records.
    Your reference number provides information about when the posting clears UK Customs, as well as delivery confirmation in select countries. For more information, go to the Parcelforce Worldwide® website at http://www.parcelforce.com
    You can track the package online at:
    http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw...mber=
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Posting Details
    Tracking Number: EE3440***03GB
    Sent From:
    Jim Burrill
    Sent To:
    SpectraSales
    Posting Status: Posted
    Service Type: PW Global Priority (two to three working days)
    Label Expiry Date: PF_EXPIRY
    Collections: Book a Collection
    Collection Date: 17 Apr. 2009 09:00:00 BST
    Signature Confirmation: Free Online
    Confirmation of Delivery: Free Online
    Guaranteed Delivery: Yes
    Tracking Number: EE3440***03GB

Hey Jim,
    I was wondering what was up with the shipment. The paypal thing says it was canceled and that another shipment was made but it does not show any tracking status.
    Ben

You have successfully created a postage label using PayPal Postage with Parcelforce Worldwide ®. Your posting details are below. Once you give the package to the post office, your package will be on its way.
    Your tracking number is EE344***187GB. Please keep this number for your records.
    Your reference number provides information about when the posting clears UK Customs, as well as delivery confirmation in select countries. For more information, go to the Parcelforce Worldwide® website at http://www.parcelforce.com
    You can track the package online at:
    http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw...mber=
    Posting Details
    Tracking Number: EE344***187GB
    Sent From:
    Jim Burrill
    Sent To:
    SpectraSales
    Posting Status: Posted
    Service Type: PW Global Priority (two to three working days)
    Label Expiry Date: PF_EXPIRY
    Collections: Book a Collection
    Collection Date: 15 Apr. 2009 09:00:00 BST
    Signature Confirmation: Free Online
    Confirmation of Delivery: Free Online
    Guaranteed Delivery: Yes
    Tracking Number: EE344***187GB

Last edited by smogthemog; 07-25-2009 at 05:40.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Default GroundHog Day ...........

From 2007 ................... Now I cant find all the emails , Im thinking this was a mixture of emails and Pms from Laser Community which i cant get access to now ........ So i may not be able offer "evidence" as such. In theory here it should be Ben that was upset , he sent cash in mail and it did not turn up , all i did was reserve -"stick his name" on a set of scanners for a while ...... but there was something about Bens manner throughout that left me with feeling of disdain.

I seem to remember he did not contact me for about 6-8weeks and when i sent an email to check if he still wanted them i was immediately hit with along the lines of , I sent cash , it must have went missing , im poor , what YOU going to do about ? maybe the actul events were not as direct as that but that was the feeling i was left with ......... and you know ..I ALMOST !! sent him them for free ..but my gut said no , theres something fishy here ..................

Wonder if theres been anyone else around who has had problems because bens local post office appears to have a theif in their midst.

Hiya Ben

Sorry to report nothing here , i am surprised as mail
    system pretty reliable , i deal with mail every day
    for last ten years and i am pretty surprised as things
    rarely go missing .

I am also surprised you sent cash in an envelope without
    any tracking , even though I trust the mail system i personally
    would not take that risk , it was a pretty strange thing to do
    send cash internationally.

I am really not sure , i was selling these galvos to you basically
    at cost as a favour as your a regular on LC , so i would be
    talking a really big hit to just send them to you at my loss .

I really aint sure what the way forward is apart from waiting
    to see if it turns up ......its a strange one

I wont be back at computer for a few hours now need to go
    out in case you reply

Thanks Paul
    (Sig Snipped)
    .................................................. .....................................

Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:03 PM
    Subject: Re: Scanners

Hey, anything? I'm pretty ticked!

On 5/14/07, Ben Steigerwald <snipped> wrote:
    If it doesn't show what do we do? I mean I am pissed at the postal service for losing it but because it was just a letter there is no way to track it or find what happened. I really can't offer any other money for them because I have used some on other "projects of interest". I talked to the lady at the counter at the post office and she confirmed that there were no records of letters. I just mailed a laser back to wicked lasers and sent some stuff to another member.

Thanks,

Ben
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Angry I hate drama...

But in the interest of full disclosure, I should tell the group that I have negotiated on both Ben's and Smog's behalf to try to work out a solution to this problem, and that it appears I have failed.

I got involved back in late May, 2009. At the time, the problem had already been going on for about a month. It seems that Ben mailed a very expensive ($450) laser pointer to Smog and did *not* insure it or pay for tracking / delivery confirmation services. Note: this was not Ben "selling" the pointer to Smog. They were trading equipment as part of a larger, more complicated deal. This was the final part of the trade, since Ben had already received his laser and set some cash to Smog... Sending the laser pointer to Smog was to be the balance of the transaction.

Now, I ask any reader to stop right here and consider this: Who it their right mind would send a package worth $450 to an overseas address without *any* insurance or tracking? You'd have to be either incredibly foolish, or else have the intention to scam the other person. This is an important point to remember as I continue. (Note also that Smog did have tracking and insurance on the laser he sent to Ben.)

I expressed my opinion to both parties that I believed this was Ben's responsibility, and since Ben could not prove that the item was delivered, it was up to him to make good on the deal. That meant either providing another pointer for free or refunding Smog the $450.

Now here is the important part: Ben agreed with this. He agreed to pay the $450 to Smog, but complaned that he was working as an un-paid intern over the summer and would have to sell things piece-by-piece to raise the funds. I felt sorry for him, so I purchased an Oscilloscope from him for about a hundred dollars or so to get him started. Smog was willing to wait for Ben to pay the balance of the debt as he earned money, but demanded that Ben stay in close contact with him. I agreed that this was the prudent thing for Ben to do, particularly since he had not kept in close contact with Smog up until this point. (Which is one of the reasons I was asked to get involved in the first place.)

Since that agreement was reached, Smog has complained numerous times to me via PM that Ben only replies to his PM's when he makes threatening comments in a public post. I warned Ben several times that his lack of communication would be interpreted as an attempt to scam Smog... Ben continually apologized for this, but did not improve his communications.

Also, I've noticed that Ben has been buying and selling a good amount of gear lately, which would seem to indicate that he did have the ability to pay Smog back. Certainly after some of these big-ticket items sold, he would have had the cash? But he always claims that he doesn't have the money yet, after over 2 months have passed.

At this point, I have to agree with Smog... While his PM's have at times been rather harsh, the fact remains that this entire fiasco was caused by Ben's failure to properly insure and track the package. Even if we completely discount the possibility that Ben was deliberately trying to defraud Smog, we are still left with the fact that Ben decided to "go cheap" on the shipping. And clearly, it bit him in the ass.

Since that time, Ben has not demonstrated any serious comittment to solving this problem. And when one considers the fact that there is evidence that this same sort of thing has happened in the past with other transactions involving Ben, it becomes difficult to continue to give the young man the benefit of the doubt.

Ben is certainly smart enough to figure this all out on his own. I should not have needed to explain it to him. And certainly after being told the same thing by numerous people, he shouldn't have any missunderstanding about his obligation here. Yet the problem persists. Whether it is due to inattention or outright fraud is irrelevant at this point, as the result is the same.

Ben, if you are listening, there is a simple way to solve this problem. Pay the money you owe. Don't complain, just pay. This is your mistake, and you need to man-up and take ownership of it. Your reputation is at stake.

Adam

I should put something here, I did ship the laser with a tracking number, however, no insurance as the package sent to me from him was not insured. I lost the receipt for the transaction since I went to the post office to ship it because I could not do so through paypal (no money was sent to me so no package shipping option).

I will pay the rest as I can, I believe I still owe $73, but I can check for sure.

I am really happy to see that Jim can edit messages to make them look better for him...
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    I should put something here, I did ship the laser with a tracking number, however, no insurance as the package sent to me from him was not insured. I lost the receipt for the transaction since I went to the post office to ship it because I could not do so through paypal (no money was sent to me so no package shipping option).

I will pay the rest as I can, I believe I still owe $73, but I can check for sure.

I am really happy to see that Jim can edit messages to make them look better for him...

The only editing I have done is to shorten addresses and sensitive information as I said i was going to do and someone PM'd me advising me to remove any return spacing to make the whole thing shorter for people, if they wanted to, to read which I did forthwith.

The package was insured Ben, with tracking.

Stop trying to discredit me with all your silly punches

Ben you really need to pull your chest in and take heed of what people are saying here, it will do you good now and later in life as you just don't seem to be able to own up to your problems. I guess that is down to age.
    The outstanding balance will be appreciated as soon as possible please then this can all be put to rest.

Thank you for your input Adam, greatly appreciated from myself and I hope, Ben.
    I hope he does take heed and pays up soon.

Thanks again.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

I wish this negative feedback would have come out 2 months ago. Could have saved myself $100.

I saw Ben had a TEK2430A for sale over at 4hv.org. He doesnt post much over there, which concerned me, but he said to check his feedback over here. Which I did and didnt see anything negative. So I sent him the money and he said he would mail it right away.

2 weeks later I get an email saying "Hey Jeff,
    I was just cleaning today and realized that I never stuck the scope in the mail! I am SO sorry man, I will get it sent out tomorrow. Again, I am really sorry for the delay!"

Then he quit responding until I made a public post about it. Which he said that he stuck it in the mail a long time ago. I asked for proof about shipping and he hasnt responded.

So when do I get my money back?