Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laserworld EL-150G Review

Thumbs up Laserworld EL-150G Review

Hi, this is my review of the LASERWORLD EL-150G

(It's my first review, so please be easy on me! :-)

First, a bit of background on me. I used to be a producer of dance music and have had much of my work published. I used to have a pro studio and am well used to I buying pro-audio and related kit. I used to run roller discos many years ago, and was a resident DJ at a local club for some years. I know what good quality kit should look like, even though I have very little hands-on experience with lasers. But I have seen some truly awesome laser shows over the years at the many raves that I attended.

Now to the review.

Price paid: £103.51+£21 shipping on ebay (RRP £199.00)

I have been meaning to get a laser for some time, especially since the prices have come down so much over the last few years. The last laser I had was back in 1995. It was a sound-modulated spirograph drawing 5mW laser in Red. It wasn't much cop, but I enjoyed it none the less.

I bought this laser as a chuck-away item, thinking that it would give me an insight into what sort of spec laser would be right to invest in for my purposes of some small-medium sized clubs and the like. So I didn't expect much from it at all.

Upon opening the box and taking a look at the laser, the first thing that I noticed was that it was well made and care had been taken in its construction. It wasn't the piece of monkey metal that I had half expected to receive.

The thing that really impressed me was how bright the thing was. I had expected to receive something that put out about 50-75mW, but this laser is so much brighter than I had anticipated it to be. (I haven't tested the output I might add).

The beam shows with smoke are excellent and very very bright (see the videos at the bottom of the review). The sound-to-light function works very well and is very responsive to adjustments. I haven't used the DMX yet, as I don't have a controller, so I can't comment there.

The built in sequences are good, but could be better. But then again, that's what DMX is for. But still, sound-to-light works fine for me at the moment.

Video #1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eKsTNc8wf0

Video #2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7s1Bhyo1GU

Pros:
    • Cheap as chips
    • Quality design and manufacture
    • High bang-per-buck ratio
    • Amazing power output for such little money
    • Impressive beam effects
    • DMX controllable (linking units a option)
    • Miles better than other lasers for the price
    • Sound-to-light control works very well (good adjustability)
    • Small and lightweight
    Cons:
    • Stepper-motors mean that projected patterns look cheasy
    • No on/off switch on the unit (have to pull the lead to switch off)
    • No blanking
    • No key-switch (would really be a good thing on a laser this powerful)
    In conclusion:
    Am I happy overall with the laser?? Definitely. 100% happy. For the price I paid, the quality of the laser and the effects are amazing. The fact that I paid 1/2 the RRP for this laser makes it even more satisfying.

Of course, there are things that this laser can't do, and will never be able to do. But what it does do is very impressive. In my view, Laserworld have done a superb job with this laser and I am looking forward to investing in another Laserworld laser.

I aim to purchase either a CS-200G or a CS400G sometime in the near future (proably the CS200G as I think that the CS400G would probably be overkill.... but can you really have too much power???

I hope that you enjoyed reading this review !
    All comments welcomed !!
    James

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
    Laserworld have done a superb job with this laser and I am looking forward to investing in another Laserworld laser
    This should be fun...
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    This should be fun...
    Reading that quote, kind of sounds like I work for them lol, which I don't by the way...

I should add, that I base that opinion on the price level (circa £100) and other lasers of around that price that I have looked at ie. lasers like the Big Dipper K100 Green, FXLAB's Pulse 1 Green and the like.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Based on the usual quality of their lasers and projectors £100 is the top price of anything you should buy from them.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Based on the usual quality of their lasers and projectors £100 is the top price of anything you should buy from them.
    Lol

Some people get lucky ie me.

I might be parting company with mine though as my ambitions are heading in a different direction. Pity it never got used only tested!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    ...I might be parting company with mine ......
    I'll start the bidding at £2.73.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Some people get lucky ie me.

I might be parting company with mine though as my ambitions are heading in a different direction. Pity it never got used only tested!
    I know what you mean. I think that I got lucky with mine also, as the output of mine would be around their stated figue of 150mW. All I could think last night when I tested it was "I gotta get myself some laser safety specs!"

Don't sell yours! Put it in the wardrobe and make yourself forget you even got it... That way a year or two later, you will have it to use when the mood takes you

I'll start the bidding at £2.73.
    Bl**dy Hell... Soffy's come into some money

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Aye.
    Me Giro's in so I might as well blow the lot on a laser.