Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: swimming manta

Sorry No

Actually I wanted to have the color info of the points to be mapped in such a way that it looks like it's swimmings just under the water surface.

You know the light-pattern on the bottom of a swimming pool ?
    I wanted it mapped over the manta in a realistic way.

I did a quick and dirty effect in QS color effect over x axis.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manta.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	22289
    But it would be much prettier if the color info could be mapped from the render itself.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Sorry No

Actually I wanted to have the color info of the points to be mapped in such a way that it looks like it's swimmings just under the water surface.

You know the light-pattern on the bottom of a swimming pool ?
    I wanted it mapped over the manta in a realistic way.

I did a quick and dirty effect in QS color effect over x axis.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manta.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	22289
    But it would be much prettier if the color info could be mapped from the render itself.
    Yes so If im right you want the effect of the water passing his sides when he's swimming underwater.
    at the moment Im preparing a demonstration for you to make this
    Working, Im doing it myself now with a very simple model so when making the tutorial video I don't get a situation where I mess up and confuse you

If I can't get the particles to function properly I have to do it with realflow.

Realflow exports your scene so you it can simulate the water particles.
    after the long calculating process you can import it back to 3ds max.

But Im leaving that alone for now and am trying to do it with 3ds max only ;p

I think I would just make a radial blue-cyan-white material and rotate it with texture pivot on the manta's back.
    And, for more realism - attach a pair of particle sprays on manta's wings with gravity spacewarp to look up. Like bubbles, you know
    P.S. Well, bubbles are ought to be! It's waterworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetone View Post
    I think I would just make a radial blue-cyan-white material and rotate it with texture pivot on the manta's back.
    And, for more realism - attach a pair of particle sprays on manta's wings with gravity spacewarp to look up. Like bubbles, you know
    P.S. Well, bubbles are ought to be! It's waterworld.
    Ah there.
    I actually was trying to teach him that particles would come from the front, collide with the wings and go past..
    It's only not so nice to do it in 3ds max

That sounds Like an good idea geetone.
    To attach the particle sprats use the link button
    It's the top all to the left button right under the 3ds max main button in 3ds max 2011
    It looks like a chain.

If you didn't use bones then you have to keep it aligned by hand likely.
    But you can try and link it

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Ah there.
    I actually was trying to teach him that particles would come from the front, collide with the wings and go past..
    It's only not so nice to do it in 3ds max

That sounds Like an good idea geetone.
    To attach the particle sprats use the link button
    It's the top all to the left button right under the 3ds max main button in 3ds max 2011
    It looks like a chain.

If you didn't use bones then you have to keep it aligned by hand likely.
    But you can try and link it
    Yeah, masterpj, I saw your post. I also gave a thought about animating a "flow" of particles bouncing off manta. But then if a manta will have a background - then that "flow" will be a bit excessive, I think. But the bubbles - ooh, those bubbles. :-) More than that, If you turn gravity towards the viewport (camera) or animate particles' size to enlarge, and add a bit of chaos - then the whole animation will look more cartoonish.
    If the manta is animated in move, ofcoz - not only waving its wings like a retard.
    P.S. About cartoonizing images - I've had an idea to render at 15fps and add a little XYZflickering to whole scene to make it look hand-drawn, but lack of free time kills all the ideas.

Yeah, masterpj, I saw your post. I also gave a thought about animating a "flow" of particles bouncing off manta. But then if a manta will have a background - then that "flow" will be a bit excessive, I think. But the bubbles - ooh, those bubbles. :-) More than that, If you turn gravity towards the viewport (camera) or animate particles' size to enlarge, and add a bit of chaos - then the whole animation will look more cartoonish.
    If the manta is animated in move, ofcoz - not only waving its wings like a retard.
    P.S. About cartoonizing images - I've had an idea to render at 15fps and add a little XYZflickering to whole scene to make it look hand-drawn, but lack of free time kills all the ideas.
    XYZflickering ? Interesting.

And I also agree on the bubbles.

XYZflickering ? Interesting.

And I also agree on the bubbles.
    Well, you know, like in "A-ha - take on me" clip. Hand-drawn frames do not always match each other, so a sort of flickering occur. And in my show, when I captured a video of a guy dancing shuffle and jump, I've made his animations to play at 10-12 fps with usual 25fps anims simultaneously. So it looks like a cartoon, not like a smooth captured or max-made. Great effect it has.

Well, you know, like in "A-ha - take on me" clip. Hand-drawn frames do not always match each other, so a sort of flickering occur. And in my show, when I captured a video of a guy dancing shuffle and jump, I've made his animations to play at 10-12 fps with usual 25fps anims simultaneously. So it looks like a cartoon, not like a smooth captured or max-made. Great effect it has.
    I see very interesting.
    You combined the 2?
    Doesn't that make alot of points and cause the whole animation to flicker like ensane?

I see very interesting.
    You combined the 2?
    Doesn't that make alot of points and cause the whole animation to flicker like ensane?
    Here's the video. Such anims start at 3:40. My phone cam took a bit of low-fps-disaster, but for the eye a 1000-point image (500 for one layer and 500 for another) with scanlsp30 scanset and ILDSOS-optimised blanking looks ok.