Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jem's old RGB becomes my new RGB

Looking very cosy in there. That's going to be some projector when its finished! You'll have to be careful or at this rate Jem's going to want this back!!

PS no relation to the thread, just had to try out the new DZ smilie!

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Perahps even Wee Danny Boy's promised Toblerone Laser will make an appearance !!
    I hope so too!
    It may not be all wrapped up it it's Swiss packaging, and may be a little lacking in the 473 department by UKLM4.5, but i'll do my best to wheel it along nonetheless.
    Should be 100% complete by UKLM5

Dan

Wow that looks nice.
    /Jealous :P

Can't wait to see it when its done!

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGus View Post
    Be VERY careful with the voltage you put into that blue laser driver.

In the original driver, as you know, there are two 'sides' to the PSU. One is for the laser head, which is the side you extracted, and the other side is the ac to dc converter.

BUT, the converter is set to a very specific level, because the actual DC voltage going into the head control board controls MANY things, diode current being one of them.

You'll notice in your first picture of the supply open with both boards in place, down at the VERY bottom left there is a pot with a yellow phillips-head adjuster. This is what they use from the factory to adjust voltage going into the board for the head, and in turn how they set the diode current.

Unless you can put in the exact same voltage, your settings will be completely off. Diode current may be way too low, or even way too high.

If you still plan on using the 'other half' of the power supply, then you can disregard this message
    Hi GG

Thanks for your advice. I took reading of the voltage from each of the power supplies and they are

Green - 5.20v
    Red - 5.00v
    Blue - 5.08v
    I am going to use one 20A 5v smps for the three lasers so when I get that powered up I will spot the voltage at around 5.04v hoping this will keep all the lasers happy. I'm thinking the voltage for the Red and Blue are the most critical (the Red also being DPSS). Would you agree?

@ Whitelight.

Jem would have to commit murder before he got this projector back.

Carl

Im sure Jem will be happy when he gets the replacement

Gus - great info pal well worth keeping and eye on this - Carl maybe we need to test the diode currents and back them off before connecting to the new ps. Then we can ease them back up to the desired set points safely .BTW I would say all are as important as each other as they will all die instanly if overcurrent strikes

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Im sure Jem will be happy when he gets the replacement
    I'm sure I will be very happy with the replacement

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Gus - great info pal well worth keeping and eye on this - Carl maybe we need to test the diode currents and back them off before connecting to the new ps. Then we can ease them back up to the desired set points safely .BTW I would say all are as important as each other as they will all die instanly if overcurrent strikes

Rob
    Hi Rob. I was sort of hoping to get though this build without having to bother you again for your time. If I set the new psu to the lowest of the readings at 5.00v would this be playing it safe?

Are you using Jem's 20A 5v smps to run his Green and Blues. If so have you had to consider this same issue as well?

Anyway got round to getting the Laser Drivers fitted tonight.
    Attachment 7094

Was hoping to have two of the PSU's fitted as well, still waiting for the third, but never got round to it. O well got plenty of time this coming week.

Carl

HEATSINKS PLEASE!!! Those will die if they do not have their heatsink!!!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Hey Carl, it looks like it will be a nice one. I see layout for almost everything but no color correction board? For your RGB you might want to lay out a little space for a vertical version to get your color modulation all timed up equally

They are mounted on a 12mm aluminium plate and located close to the fans as well. Is this still not going to be enough? I'm hoping so as there is no hight room to mount them on anything else.

Carl