Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jem's old RGB becomes my new RGB

Laser Warning Jem's old RGB becomes my new RGB

Hi People

As the title suggests this thread will cover the rebuild of Jem's old RGB is to become my New and 1st RGB. As Jem is having his RGB rebuilt by Rob Stanwax he offered his old case with Dicro's and DT40 scanners to me when he got wind of me buying Mark Fluff's Red and Blue to go with the spare Green I have.

I think the best way to cover this build is to show you with photo's as I know how much you all love photo's of new builds.

The first two photo's illustrate how the PSU's, Laser's and Driver's are to be fitted. Note in the first photo that a space has been marked out for a 642 nm Red to be fitted some time in the future.
    Attachment 7078
    Attachment 7079

The Next three photo's are of the Driver's for the blue and Red Laser's.

The original Driver.
    Attachment 7080

The PCB on the right is the one that is to be extracted.
    Attachment 7081

The PCB ready to be fitted to the underside of the deck as marked in the second photo.
    Attachment 7082

I did hope to be able to leave all the drivers untouched and it was possible but this would have left me with no space left to fit the 642nm and as I need to fit more Red this was not an option.

Got 18 of the 28 hole's on the under side drilled, then have to tap them out and then a load more on the upper side. What a tedious job.

Anyway will keep you updated as things progress.

Carl
    Last edited by Carl B; 04-30-2009 at 13:18.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs up

This thread is useless without ... oh, never mind.

What sort of power will you be outputting?

It truly is becoming a full colour Laser world here in the UK.

Hi Richard

The output powers I have to play with at the moment are
    532 nm - 160mW
    473 nm - 120mW after Rob gave the optics inside a little tweak. Nice one Rob.
    671 nm - 260mW This laser has such a gorgeous beam to it. No regrets buying this despite it looking under powered.
    This gives me about 540mW of a Greenish White to play with. I'm going to fit a 150mW LW 642nm Red before to long.

Carl

Hey Carl, Great news that you're getting on with it so quickly

I'll be watching the thread with great interest

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hey Jem

Looking at your wiring for the blanking I am assuming that you used the differential signals rather than single ended. Would this assumption be correct?

At the moment the Blue and the Red are only TTL blanking so with these I'm thinking that I will have to use single ended signals. Come to think of it CNI lasers only use single ended signals for blanking anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Carl

That looks like a super build in the works!
    When's your deadline?

Dan

Hopefully by the end of next week this baby will be up and running as I have the week off work.

Just need to buy a mirror mount off Rob for the Green and then I think I have everything to Finnish the job.

Carl

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Smile

We absolutely definitely MUST get a synchronsied show running at the next LEM with all these RGB's (or my name isn't Wilhelm Von Poopen-Scheiße)
    A couple of us have been murmuring in the background about the potential for this for a while now but it just hasn't happened.
    With Jimbo's upcoming 2 day LEM (at Surfleet- Sur-Le-Merde ) this should happen.

Perahps even Wee Danny Boy's promised Toblerone Laser will make an appearance !!

Be VERY careful with the voltage you put into that blue laser driver.

In the original driver, as you know, there are two 'sides' to the PSU. One is for the laser head, which is the side you extracted, and the other side is the ac to dc converter.

BUT, the converter is set to a very specific level, because the actual DC voltage going into the head control board controls MANY things, diode current being one of them.

You'll notice in your first picture of the supply open with both boards in place, down at the VERY bottom left there is a pot with a yellow phillips-head adjuster. This is what they use from the factory to adjust voltage going into the board for the head, and in turn how they set the diode current.

Unless you can put in the exact same voltage, your settings will be completely off. Diode current may be way too low, or even way too high.

If you still plan on using the 'other half' of the power supply, then you can disregard this message

Quote Originally Posted by Carl B View Post
    Hey Jem

Looking at your wiring for the blanking I am assuming that you used the differential signals rather than single ended. Would this assumption be correct?

At the moment the Blue and the Red are only TTL blanking so with these I'm thinking that I will have to use single ended signals. Come to think of it CNI lasers only use single ended signals for blanking anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Carl
    Hi Carl

Yes, they did utilise differential signals.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001