Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Realtime Music Visualization?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    102

    Default Realtime Music Visualization?

    Hell yeah... i know there is a plugin from Pangolin that directly uses AVS to display awesome graphics in sync.
    But - of course its limited to the QM DAC's. ( nothing against Pango, all their stuff and support is absolutely outstanding... but as a laserscanner beginner AND student is just dont have 4-digit bank values ^^)

    Zoof created a great osciloscope-with-beatcircle app which works with the cool EzAudDAC.

    Isnt there anything around of similar capabilities, generating realy good looking graphics and effects? but all this on-the-fly without any ilda predesigning and absolutely unattended? i really need that, these mic triggered "Automode" stuff on most DMX Boards is... pure crap in my eyes (literaly - standing beams!!)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    the DMX mic crap is crap..

    what your looking for is an advanced feature. Its a bank of material triggered by audio cues and levels.. you could probably do it with DMX triggering the same way that the board does, just better patterns and more intelligent.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    102

    Default

    This would be the least i need. patterns that "dances" to music. controlling via a good dmx board would fit

    Bur what would be more nice is generating effects like almost every media player software does. these reduced to just lines without the complicated blurs etc. like the pangoline plugin does

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    abstract generator i believe is what you are looking for..

    LaserWave does some abstracts to music but not on the fly..

    ZoofScope is nice for on the fly visualizations but does not do abstracts..

    There is always the stand by of mirrors on speakers...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    102

    Default

    at LPF one said the free LFI Player does realtime abstracts but i couldn't find the function

    Winamp AVS source had been released - anyone interessted in recoding the plugin for generating scannable graphics and add support for most popular cards?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    769

    Default

    That would be great, but it would be easier said than done. I have played around with the AVS source, but I never could get it to compile. There are some great things in there, but I was not exactly in tune with the way it was written.

    Another thing is that the AVS takes advantage of Pangolin's QM2000 vector mode, where optimizations are performed on the card itself. This means that in order to support other hardware, you would need to recreate the optimizations like anchor & guide points, etc. Not impossible, but add it to the todo list.

    Zoof's visualizer is great- I think he used fmod. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a visualizer project cooking for the 3D world.

    I have something in mind on my list, but spare time is tough to find for me lately. Do you code? If you are familiar with c++ & VC6, find a download of Microsoft's Media Player SDK. There is a plugin wizard in there that will generate a "shell" project for a visualizer plugin. What's best is that it will compile, fire up and run first try. It is fairly easy to follow and lets you see how arrays of frequency info are transformed into graphics. It really is cool stuff.

    -Mike


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Yes, I use FMOD. Zoofscope reads mp3 files which is technically a bit different that getting mic input. The mp3 file is actually read ahead so the fft can be performed and the spectrum and waveform are synchronized to the audio output. With mic input reading ahead is, of course, not possible and the fft analysis will lag behind on the actual audio. Still effects should be possible but with some lag / less perfect. But mic input processing is a challenge I did not get around to.

    What is currently cooking: SVG converter, just 2D.

    Mike, is your projector back together yet??

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hannover, Germany
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Do you code?
    Im currently learning-by-doing C for university, but did some C++ before. shurely not the best for this...

    Zoof, do you think somewhen in the future you will try to build something like a avs plugin?

    Maybe someone here would try the challenge with the Winamp source or the Media Player SDK... adding optimization, adding support for various cards, etc.


    The result would be a kickass breakthrough for all of us!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    983

    Default

    I have tried to make a winamp plugin with laser output back in the summer of 2001. I was still using a lpt dac. It worked in the sense that there was output but the timing was completely off. Therefore I gave up on it.

    Maybe AVS is better?

    I'll see if I can soup something up in an evening sometime in the future.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Hey Zoof-
    My projector is back together. I am doing a little side project for a forum member here, amongst a few other things. I am also in the process of switching over to a new laptop for development, so I have some serious installs to do, not to mention I need to find my VC6 install CD!
    -Mike


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •