Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Photonlexicon live controller

Default Photonlexicon live controller

Hi,

I've been thinking about designing a MIDI controller specifically buit for live lasershow use.

I want to ask you guys for help concerning the layout / functions

Please share your experiences and features that you think the ideal controller should have

thanks!

my view is the novation is excellent
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    my view is the novation is excellent
    Well... My view is that the Behringer BCF2000 is also excellent

Whilst I applaud your enthusiasm for wanting to design a whole new MIDI controller, why re-invent the wheel? The two controllers mentioned do the job equally well and are easily mapped to LivePRO.

Still, good luck in your project and if it turns out better than the Behringer or the Novation i'm sure you'll have a ready (but small) market amongst laser enthusiasts.

As for functionality, probably the best thing to do would be to look at what options are available that can be mapped to MIDI from within LivePRO and start from there. The problem is likely to be that there are soooo many possible functions that can be mapped from LivePRO that you would need a HUGE desk to acommodate them all. The solution is to build a smaller desk and let the user choose and program what functions they need to map that suits their own personal style... but there again, the Behringer or Novation already do that

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I thought there would be more enthousiasm. But indeed you can get a existing controller.
    Never mind then, I'll use my time otherwise

Anybody interested in doing a custom midi controller should look at www.ucapps.de

Years ago I built the original midibox64, and its a great controller. The new bits Thorsten is doing are great
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

As there are various aspects of control for both Laser control / DMX lighting control and VJ apps that can all utilise Midi now days, i would be suggesting building a number of control interfaces, in this i mean

- Touch pad
    - Jog shuttle Wheel
    - Slider Horizontal and Vertical
    - Pitch type roller thing that is spring loaded
    - pressure sensitive keys as used in midi keyboard etc

Each control method will shine dependant in what effect parameter you are controlling.

Having multiple of each control would be good, also the ability to have each control map to multi effects would be handy too.

Having said the above the unit if it has all of these is going to look really weird, good luck making it look cool, and please put me down as a beta tester if you need a guineapig to test with

PS im sure you can find some spare space to some how work a touch pad surace in they alway are handy or mapping effects too.

What i'd like to get hold of is a small, *VERY* simple USB joystick for use with LivePRO.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Now we're talking

You can start by inspire you from the Lasershow Performer console from Pangolin, it seems well designed, with its tons of multicolored buttons, in relation with the software.

Speaking of buttons, I think that's what is missing the most on the Novation Remote ZeroSL (to trigger the cues). And it's missing analog controls to the Pangolin console.
    So you can easily imagine a mix between the two

Several folks are using touch-screen monitors along with the Novation or other USB MIDI controllers. Use the touch-screen to trigger cues, and the controller for everything else. Takes care of the need for a bunch of buttons!

Although, if the price were right, a dedicated MIDI controller custom-made for LivePRO would be cool...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....