Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: removing thread tags

Cool

You can't see them because the feature has been disabled. But when they were enabled, if you looked at the bottom of the page in a given thread, there was a light blue box spanning the width of the page that had a list of words or short phrases separated by commas. Those words and phrases were supposed to describe the basic topic of the thread. The idea is that these "tags" would make it easier for people to search for posts on a given subject.

Anyone could add between 2 and 5 tags to a thread. And initially, people used the tags to label the various discussions. For example, if the thread topic was "countdown to FLEM ver 6", the tags might be "Florida, FLEM, Tavares, Laser Enthusiast's Meeting, Triangle Boat Club, Door prizes"...

But since anyone could add tags to a thread, and do so anonymously, people started using the thread tags to attack other members. You started seeing wholly inappropriate tags in some threads - tags that would never be used for searching. Instead they were merely used as a means of insulting unpopular users. That's why they were disabled.

Adam

I think moderators have the ability to see which user added a particular tag, so I don't think "anonymity" is really a problem.
    Check out my laser media here!

In 3.8.4 they did not have the ability to determine who applied what tag. Applying user data was not saved.

Quote Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
    I think moderators have the ability to see which user added a particular tag, so I don't think "anonymity" is really a problem.
    Even if the data was visible to moderators (and Spec's post suggests that the user ID data was never saved, making it impossible for anyone to see it), we don't have moderators here on PL, so it wouldn't matter in any case.

More to the point, I don't think anyone ever used the tags for searching. The standard search engine seems to work well enough.

Also, this thread is nearly a year old...

Adam