Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do all fog machines stink

I have an american DJ fog hog (1000 watts) and I get the same strange smell, sometimes. Sometimes the smoke doesn't smell funny, but sometimes it does. At first I thought it had something to do with the time inbetween sprays (and thus the time the smoke fluid is in the heating element). But it seems that doesn't always apply . But I actually like the smell so no problems there

BUT there are special "perfumes" that you can mix in with you smoke fluid, you can make your smoke smell like strawberry, bananas, cocos, mint etc... Be carefull though, because when you mix in too much "perfume" it will start too stink again
    Last edited by Frixxion; 05-24-2009 at 11:58.
    Life is short.... Ride it hard!!

I think the only truly odourless option is an oil based hazer but these seem to be fast disappearing in favour of hazers using what is essentially smoke fluid due to concerns about the health implications of cracked oil (oil contains carcinogens so presumably there are some in smoke oil as well) and the fact that it can make surfaces greasy.

Its a pity no-one has come up with good fog solution as when you watch a programme such as Live At the Apollo (a theatre based comedy programme for our overseas friends) you see well defined beams right the way down onto stage but a crystal clear atmosphere (the use a little fog to introduce performers but that's about it). I believe the rest is probably oil based haze.

Here at 1 min 27 secs you can just see the beams - the Youtube clip doesn't show the beams up that well, but believe me on TV they are as good as in a heavily smoked room. You can see the clarity of the atmosphere though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-weFBV7YmHA&fmt=18

No matter what type of smoke based machine you use (even the hazer type) there always is quite prominent visible fogging as well as the smell. Just some fluids are better than others and I believe older fluids can begin to smell as they get bacteria forming in them over time which live on the sugar.

Fog machines do smell, since they use glycerin in their juice. Hazers typically do not smell, though make sure it's a real hazer (uses compressed air), and not a fazer, which is essentially a fog machine with a fan on the front.

Nothing will be totally odorless in a fog machine, as oli said, when you vaporise stuff, it's gonna end up with some sort of a smell.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post

No matter what type of smoke based machine you use (even the hazer type) there always is quite prominent visible fogging as well as the smell.
    I do not agree, my cracker based HZ100 hazer does not smell and gives a almost invisible haze.

The particle size of a cracker based hazer is much smaller and less visible for the eye while the laser is very visible

MDG sels very good cracker based smokemachine, they use CO2 to crack the oil and there is a heater inside to warm up the haze so it will hang longer

Quote Originally Posted by Docjohn View Post
    I have a Chauvet 1050 fog machine. It is a 1000 watt one with a heater element that puts out 5000cfm of fog. It has a faint sweet burned odor to the fog. I don't like the smell.

Any suggestions for an odorless one? How about a hazer for under 500?

Any experience with the HZ100 from

http://www.starlight.com/foghaze.html

for $299 ? Or other foggers that don't have an odor?

Any info appreciated.

DocJohn
    I owned that machine some time ago. It made the smell you're talking about and after 10 uses it died. And the next chauvet did the same and then I got Antari Z-1500 and never had that problem again.

I may sound like an arse but I've never had any good experience with chauvete or american red-neck (DJ) and I would not recommend those companies to ANYONE!
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    I do not agree, my cracker based HZ100 hazer does not smell and gives a almost invisible haze.

The particle size of a cracker based hazer is much smaller and less visible for the eye while the laser is very visible

MDG sels very good cracker based smokemachine, they use CO2 to crack the oil and there is a heater inside to warm up the haze so it will hang longer
    You misunderstood, I said smoke based not oil based. Cracked oil machines are the dogs for visibility and smell but appear to now have H&S issues.

I've always had good luck with my Antari Z-300 "Fazer" and this stuff (water-based fluid):

http://www.froggysfog.com/

Odor is not bad at all actually...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Cracked oil machines are the dogs for visibility and smell but appear to now have H&S issues.
    I don't think that's exactly true. The MDG Atmosphere series do not appear to have the same health and safety issues as some other oil based machines. There is something about the way the oil is processed that appears to render it safer. I was under the same false illusion until I did further reading on the subject.

There is some interesting reading here on the Equity site

http://www.actorsequity.org/library/library.asp?cat=33

I tried to find the UK H & S website where I read tons of useful information on various Hazers but it eludes me at the moment. If I find the site i'll post the link.

I believe Steve (MixedGas), is quite knowledgeable on this subject, he may elaborate if he finds this thread.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

\
    I tried to find the UK H & S website where I read tons of useful information on various Hazers but it eludes me at the moment. If I find the site i'll post the link.

I believe Steve (MixedGas), is quite knowledgeable on this subject, he may elaborate if he finds this thread.

End quote:

The MDGs with the co2 and monomolecular weight oil do not oxidize or slightly burn the oil and thus there are no carcinogens. Marc Grengais made that very clear to me, when I showed him my homebuilt one using air.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks Steve

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001