Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do all fog machines stink

I have to say having skimmed briefly over the report you posted a link to I'm still sceptical about its absolute safety although it does lay some serious concerns to rest.

At the bottom of page ES5 it says: "Actors with the highest exposure to mineral oil had a statistically significant decrease in one pulmonary function parameter - forced vital capacity".

I believe FVC is a measure of the total capacity of the lungs. Although this doesn't directly suggest it causes asthma, it does suggest that the ability of the lungs to work under stressful situations eg. running, may be impaired as there is a reduction in the amount of air that can be inhaled / exhaled from the lungs as a result of high exposure.

However, you are right it appears that provided medical grade mineral oil is used, the carcinogenic compounds commonly found in oil of the type used for lubrication have been removed.

LeMaitre Neutron XS is highly recommended and very economical on fluid.

Default Funky fog

Just get a 40 watt ktp and you wont need a fog machine !!!
    Last edited by Laser Zone; 05-25-2009 at 18:17.
    " MANUFACTURER OF HIGH QUALITY MICRO LASER COMPONENTS" !!
    http://www.microlaserlabs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    I have to say having skimmed briefly over the report you posted a link to I'm still sceptical about its absolute safety although it does lay some serious concerns to rest.

At the bottom of page ES5 it says: "Actors with the highest exposure to mineral oil had a statistically significant decrease in one pulmonary function parameter - forced vital capacity".

I believe FVC is a measure of the total capacity of the lungs. Although this doesn't directly suggest it causes asthma, it does suggest that the ability of the lungs to work under stressful situations eg. running, may be impaired as there is a reduction in the amount of air that can be inhaled / exhaled from the lungs as a result of high exposure.

However, you are right it appears that provided medical grade mineral oil is used, the carcinogenic compounds commonly found in oil of the type used for lubrication have been removed.
    Keep in mind we're talking about 'Actors' here

If you put 100 actors on a stage (with absolutely no haze at all) and told them to breathe deeply because you were testing the lungs capacity to handle haze in the room and that you would be testing them all later. You can guarantee that when you asked them if they had any symptoms a fair proportion of them would have some sort of symptom from the 'phantom' haze... That's why they are called actors

The same can apply to musicians... Usually the more 'professional' and skilled the musician, the less the problems with haze. It's usually the underskilled 'drama queens' that have the problems and are just looking for excuses to cover up their bad singing / playing. And as for drummers... Well, they just don't care

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I personally LOVE froggys fog with a 1200 watt fog machine.
    I got some of their swamp juice. It produces a very thick cloud of fog, but I usually fill the venue with it and it hangs in the air for HOURS. I also sometimes keep a small 120 volt fan on top of a machine (connected to a dimmer pack) so I can use DMX to spread the fog a bit more.

I could not believe how good this fog was when I used it at my first event. I usually burn through fog but I hardly even had to fog at all. It has a VERY slight scent, but for the quality, I'll never buy anything else. Although it is a little more expensive than others, it makes up by quality and hang time (as you will hardly have to re-fog the room).

Do you have a link where to buy this good quality fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    I own 2 x HZ100 and this hazer does not smell, it uses also no heat, only compressed air.

It also leaves no residu en extreme long hang time, ideal for home use.

the only disadvantage is the low output. It's almost useless in large venues.

I also own a couple of moke machines, and I do sense a difference between them, the more expensive smoke machines got less smell.

PS one HZ100 hazer is for sale EUR100,- but it will make no sense to ship it to the US.
    What fluid do you use in yours? Also is the unit any good with graphics or just beams?

john
    Inventor of the hemorroid transplant

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Zone View Post
    Just get a 40 watt ktp and you wont need a fog machine !!!
    i think someone here on the board has one available ,goes by the name COBRA ?

I just bought an older American DJ Light Enhancer Hazer on ebay for $105 USD + $45 shipping.
    I had to find a new motor-pump coupler ($18). It ran great for 5 minutes then blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse, and it then blipped on for a moment, but then would not engage the motor- although fan & lights were on.
    I did notice that when it did turn on, the relay seemed to arc/spark quite noticeably. I then searched Google, and found that this hazer and its offshoots were known for a bad relay. I bypassed the original relay with a SSR I had, and now it seems to be kicking just fine I hazed the hell out of my house last night, and was ga ga over how much better the beams looked thru fine haze as opposed to my old fog machine.
    In stride with the original topic---> It had zero smell! The haze hung so well it took over a half hour with all the windows open and fans going just to clear the air.
    A question- I used Froggy Haze fluid, but have seen posts on stage lighting forums saying that professional fluid is basically a waste of money for oil crackers. Many suggested plain mineral oil from a pharmacy. Any one ever do this?
    Thanks, Mike