Thread: dumb question

Default dumb question

can epoxy be used (regular 2 part, 5 minute epoxy) to attach mirrors to mounts? will they harm the mirror or coating or anything? i know crazy glue is bad becasue of the fumes.

is epoxy bad also??

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post

can epoxy be used (regular 2 part, 5 minute epoxy) to attach mirrors to mounts? will they harm the mirror or coating or anything? i know crazy glue is bad becasue of the fumes.

is epoxy bad also??

-Marc
    I put about the size of a poodles dog eye booger (pin head size) in each corner and that holds it just fine. Coating the back of a thin front surface mirror and attaching it to a metal plate creates a lot of problems and can distort your beam.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

thank you mr ding-a-ling!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Great question/answer
    Do you guys have a favorite adhesive for mounting a PBS to a MM1? On my first and only one, I used a pea-sized gob of "plumber's goop". I use that stuff for everything- it seems to be holding up OK. It is what I'd call 80% permanent, meaning it will stay put if you want it to, but you can scrape it off & redo it if absolutely necessary.
    Thanks, Mike

Smile

QB-quick 2-part epoxy works well. It sets in 5 minutes, and you can break the seal with a knife if you need to remove the optic. I use it on the PBS cube, the dichros, and the mirrors. Great stuff.

For what it's worth, Marconi used to use it too... (He's the one that first suggested it to me.)

Adam

i'd say one drop of basic silicon glue, easily removable with a razor blade if needed, but no idea about the rigidity... might be an issue with loud bass speakers in the neighborhood

I would not use silicon gel as this flexible.

Just use 2 component expoxy glue. it drys in 5 minutes, and if you put it only at the corners you can easyly remove it wit a soldring iron.

there are several types of silicone, especially the heat-resistant ones, which are more rigid than the simple one

in that case a 0.2mm layer between PBS and mounting surface should be quite stable... but perhaps not in highly vibrating areas

a friend of mine has uses tiny bits of polypropylene teacups with one drop of trychloroethylene to melt it

ten seconds later it is solid and stable, and it will detach if levered by a scalpel but not (hopefully) from vibrations