Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad RED module, home made, miniature size

Cool Quad RED module, home made, miniature size

I finally finished to build my new quad red module, and it seems to work quite well, despite I was under the impression I could never align all these beams

So, we have here 4x LPC-815 diodes, drived with one FlexMod N2. All the mechanics was made with my own little hands (laser engraving too ). All in a 72x88mm block (which is half the surface used on my previous dual module!).

The design I use only need 3 adjustable mounts. I never view this mixing design before, so I assume I am the first

I measured up to 900mW after optics (with 1.4A, so ~350mA per diode). I wonder how much is the max current to ensure a quite long life?
    The only remaining problem is I have to reduce the spot size to the galvos (showed by the first beam picture, the second is the spot @5 meters).
    Any one could advice me on how to reduce spot size, especially on the X axis? Using two lens? Or would an anamorphism prism pair work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT4348.JPG  

PICT4351.JPG  

PICT4354.JPG  

PICT4358.JPG  

PICT4359.JPG  

PICT4377.JPG  

PICT4374.JPG  

PICT4370.JPG  

I can't help you with the spot size, but that looks FOOKIN' AWESOME!
    Very professional, a truly top notch bit of machining. Nice job.

Dan

anamorphic prism pairs would not be suitable as you would need 2 pairs, one for each plane of polarization

a key to nice beams could be some cheap red pointer lenses, which will give a beam shape of approx 1.5*2mm with a divergence of 0.9mrad

all 4 beams would then give a 3*3mm beam with same divergence if you align them ideally, quite nice beam specs and the slight loss of the short focal plastic lenses are worth it

anyway, doing it perfectly is impossible so you'll surely end up with a 4*4mm square, but the use of a telescope is affordable in terms of beam specs as you have 0.9mrad divergence

there is just one point, will these cheap lenses melt or not? ^^

there should be short focal length glass lenses which would match though

That's a nice looking build
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

very good effort.

i need to get working on a red setup
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Nice work!

I would consider putting the diodes in series though. That way you can set the driver at 300mA and if one of the diodes dies, the current trough the other ones will stay the same.
    Also a difference in forward voltage between the diodes won't matter ...

Very nice job!

The glass LENS27 from Roithner would get your initial spot size down small and with low losses, but they are quite pricey..

Are they copper coated BB's in those mounts?

I did sketch out this layout but never did make one, nice to see it for real
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quad Red 2.jpg  

very nice work awesome build quality
    Do not look into laser with remaining eye
    Need laser repair contact me !!!!!!

jealous...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Thanks for the kudos guys.

@Shrad : thanks for the info. I think I'll use a dual achromatic lens (one negative and one positive), as now I have virtually no divergeance, I can double it without problem And don't worry, they won't melt with so low power

@Andy : I'll certainly sell my old setup, if you're interested, and if 500mW 660nm if enough for you...

@FourDee : yes, that's the idea I originally considered. But in series I'll need much more voltage to the driver, possibly more than 12V, and it's the max I have. But I heard red diodes never die by shorting (once installed), but by optically failure, and stay to eat the same voltage and current, just don't emit light.

@P1t8ull : would these lens be adaptable on Aixiz module? Or are the glass lens for Aixiz of good enough quality?
    Yes that's copper coated BB's, good eye It's the only ball I had on my hand, but seems to works well!
    (and sorry for stealing your idea )