Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: News from Pangolin

Smile

Bill commented on the availability of the Beam Brush device at SELEM 2010...

Basically, the problem is that Bill has hundreds of ideas, but there are only so many hours in the day. At the time of his presentation at SELEM (back in August of 2010), he had something like 13 *major* projects in the works.

Some of those projects included Quickshow 2.0 for the FB3, the Beyond 3D engine for the QM-2000, the Beam Brush device, the Pangolin Show Site, Quickshow for the QM-2000, an improved LivePro interface, a new design for a Pangolin-branded scanner set, and several others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Bill also realized at the time that there was no way he could finish all those projects by the end of the year. In fact, he was beginning to understand that by trying to juggle so many different projects all at once, he was actually slowing himself down. So his plan was to pick *ONE* project and see it through to completion before he did anything else. And his choice was to work on Quickshow 2.0, which as most people know, is now available.

As for the Beam Brush device, it's been in development for several years, and it's gone through several revisions. It started out as something about as large as a coffee cup. Then it was shrunk to the size of a soda can. Now it's down to the size of a roll of quarters, and it's amazingly fast.

Bill said he's measured something like 70 newtons of force on the moving section of the device. It's so fast that it will end up having "size" information fed to it at roughly the same speed that point data is fed to the scanners and color data is fed to the lasers. Think about that for a minute...

So yeah, it's not available just yet, and it might be a while yet before it's released. But Bill is certainly still tweaking the design while he waits for the production arrangements to be worked out. When it does come out, I'm sure it will exceed everyone's expectations.

But in the mean time, we need to be patient. Pangolin is still a small company with just a handful of employees, so they can't do everything. (Much as we might want them to.) Personally, I think Bill is smart to focus on one thing at a time. After all, he still has a company to run...

Besides, if you had to pick something to be finished this year, I think a lot of people would choose Quickshow 2.0 over the beam brush device anyway.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Bill said he's measured something like 70 newtons of force on the moving section of the device. It's so fast that it will end up having "size" information fed to it at roughly the same speed that point data is fed to the scanners and color data is fed to the lasers. Think about that for a minute...
    So it's still an order of magnitude slower than the focus servo in a blu-ray sled, then

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Wink

....his plan was to pick *ONE* project and see it through to completion before he did anything else. And his choice was to work on Quickshow 2.0, which as most people know, is now available.....
    Don't forget the Show Site which is now up and running.

So that's Steeeerike TWO !!

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    So it's still an order of magnitude slower than the focus servo in a blu-ray sled, then
    Huh?!

Do tell...

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

you know what makes me giggle about the beam brush...

all this time and effort goes into making reds and blues nice and tight...

and yet we all want a device that undoes all that on the output lol

dunno, I guess I would have to "see it to appreciate it" but from description and concept I just dont really see the point?

but kudos for moving laser shows forward

Angry Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    Stop trolling, Jas. You know as well as anyone that the range of focus on a blu-ray sled is also an order of magnitude smaller. (Maybe two orders of magnitude smaller, even.)

If you think it's such an easy problem to solve, then why aren't there any other commercial solutions out there right now for a beam brush device that can be installed in a projector? Surely at a price point of $750 to $1000 there is enough profit to be made for SOMEONE to have developed one by now, right?

I know you don't particularly care for Bill, but given that you never attended any of his presentations and know basically nothing about this device, it would seem beneath you to bash it so blatantly.

Adam

Stop trolling, Jas. You know as well as anyone that the range of focus on a blu-ray sled is also an order of magnitude smaller. (Maybe two orders of magnitude smaller, even.)

If you think it's such an easy problem to solve, then why aren't there any other commercial solutions out there right now for a beam brush device that can be installed in a projector? Surely at a price point of $750 to $1000 there is enough profit to be made for SOMEONE to have developed one by now, right?

I know you don't particularly care for Bill, but given that you never attended any of his presentations and know basically nothing about this device, it would seem beneath you to bash it so blatantly.

Adam

--DDL

EDIT: Although, upon second look, the use of the word "servo" somewhat implies the use of mechanical force... I am fairly certain that under any circumstance the use of mechanical drives would be extremely cost prohibitive, size prohibitive, and likely impossible, to achieve the same result as a magnetic drive... such as galvo's for example...
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Quote Originally Posted by daedal View Post

--DDL
    can I have some popcorn too??

Now that Quickshow 2 is done I'm hoping they put their energy into the FB3 SDK. At SELEM Bill said he expected to be out by the end of the year.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by blowfly View Post
    Now that Quickshow 2 is done I'm hoping they put their energy into the FB3 SDK. At SELEM Bill said he expected to be out by the end of the year.

Mike
    And QM2000 support in QS, glad there picking things off now one a time for efficiency.
    leading in trailing technology