Thread: DIY Plans for a Gobo Projector with Transperancy? (Not Laser)

Post DIY Plans for a Gobo Projector with Transperancy? (Not Laser)

I was wondering if I could make a homemade Gobo projector, using a lamp, a lens and some transparency paper. Basically instead of using a real Gobo, I would use transparency paper that I can print a logo on with a color laser printer. I was wondering if there are any plans to build your own, or to see if you guys can help me out. I'm not a very hands on person, so I'm sorry if I sound retarded; but I have the patience and the willingness to learn. I figure the black ink will let light leak through, so it might not be possible, or just look bad. In case anyone is wondering, I wanted to make one for my cousins wedding in October.

LOL, I hope this made sense.
    - instinct

Default opaque projector

Have you thought about using an opaque projector? Then you only need normal paper (but lots of light loss). You can use an overhead, most visuals I have seen using transparencies were two different difference patterns rotated by hand. You can also do Oil visuals (using dyes) and two matching plates, but be prepared for lots of denatured alcohol, mineral oil and such... I love old school visuals, Reid from Looksee, used to have fan blades running in front of his projector lenses...

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

The problem with these things is usually that you have to have a high power light source to make them work, and at the same time, require the gobo to be close to the source. Thats why all of the fixtures I've come across tend to use metal or glass gobos.

I did once print onto transparency paper and made up slides to go in a regular slide projector but they looked bad blown up and eventually melted.

noting the last post, you may want to look into glass etching solution, it's cheap and easy, but may or may not work... Have you looked at LCD projectors DIY, that may be a good route too a couple fresnels and a triplet you are good to go!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

I'll be honest, I'm not to familiar with a Opaque projector.. You can just project through regular paper?

Yes, I've looked at the DIY LCD Projectors. I actually already own 2 LCD projectors. Neither of them are used to watch TV or Movies! I know I can always use on of those if worse comes to worse.

I was more or less looking for a project. I want to do DIY overhead LCD projector, but I know will my girlfriend will call me crazy for buying an overhead projector. Plus they are just really bulky. I will probably end up doing it anyways.
    - instinct

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    The problem with these things is usually that you have to have a high power light source to make them work, and at the same time, require the gobo to be close to the source. Thats why all of the fixtures I've come across tend to use metal or glass gobos.

I did once print onto transparency paper and made up slides to go in a regular slide projector but they looked bad blown up and eventually melted.
    Ah.. I see.. I was thinking a slide projector as well.

Thanks everyone for the ideas so far!
    - instinct

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Go to a auto parts store or small parts inc and order a sheet of brass shim stock. You will have no trouble finding a tool that can punch through 5 thousandths shim,(xacto knife, but this is a laser forumn, not a knife forumn ) or you can get really serious, use toner transfer paper and go to town with acid etc. Even more serious, laser cutter if you have a friend at a machine shop or pro print shop and chemically blacken the brass shim stock with gun bluing or something (or use soft steel if your mad, but want to be more professional)

I'm too damn busy trying to survive or I would think about undercutting GAM's customized gobo prices

Oh, Wait, Laserman532 here has a laser cutter and works for affordable rates. PM him and have him see if he can blast shim. He may need to discolor it or put it against something etc.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...