Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What color is the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    The sun is made of cheese , so yellow?

Surely you mean the moon?
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

No the Moon is made of cheese, white cheese.

The Sun is white also. Thats where white comes from. The sun is what we base white on.
    10,000K bulbs are used on Coral Aquariums, they look blueish in color.

--John

Just got back from staring at the sun for a few minutes. I don't know about you guys, but it was yellow then it blurred shades of green, blue, purple, red, and black. I started to get all delirious so I stopped. Now my eyes hurt and I see spots!

Here's a cool link... http://www.classzone.com/books/earth...?chapter_no=26

Another... http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/lin..._overview.html
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 06-14-2009 at 09:53.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Don't know what you are saying, the sun is red now.

I went out and tried to look, but cant really trust the results....

But I take pictures with a telescope and CCD camera. The black and white cameras a much more sensitive. So I use RGB filters and do 3 images to make color. But the camera has different sensitivity to different colors. To know what ratio of RGB to use, I take a image a star that is the same color as the sun, a G2V star. And then adjust that star to look white. Actually a software white. And then I know my camera and optics RGB white balance. So I get true color.

--John

6000C is ~5800K. 5800K is white according to most color temperature charts I see.

Another question not entirely related... Black body radiation has a peak that moves to a shorter wavelength as illustrated here, yes?

Why then, at any point, would the light not appear green? The peak is at green at SOME temperature and green is ALSO the peak of our visual acuity. Why then, is there no temperature at which an object appears "green hot"?

Hmm, don't know. But I know there are no real green stars. When a star has a strong green component, you end up with white.

--John

Quote Originally Posted by Xytrell View Post
    Another question not entirely related... Black body radiation has a peak that moves to a shorter wavelength as illustrated here, yes?

Why then, at any point, would the light not appear green? The peak is at green at SOME temperature and green is ALSO the peak of our visual acuity. Why then, is there no temperature at which an object appears "green hot"?
    A reasonable question, but I believe it's because the object that is emitting the radiation doesn't stop emiting the lower wavelengths as it heats up, the bandwidth just increases.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

You can get plenty of green fireworks. That's black body radiation.