Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Flicker" reduction using LD2000...?

Question "Flicker" reduction using LD2000...?

After too many months in storage, I finally got my RGB rig going again, and finally have had the chance to run some of the Pink Floyd shows from FirstLight Laser.
    Unfortunately, I am getting a LOT of "flicker" in the images when I run those shows and others from the LD2000 suite (Revelations, Creation, etc.) that feature a lot of graphics.

I'm running ScanPro 40 scanners, and they appear to be tuned failry well for the ILDA 30K test pattern.

So, any suggestions from anyone on tuning and/or software adjustments that may help reduce the flicker?
    I need my quality Pink Floyd fix bad!!

Thanks!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hey Randy,

What speed are you scanning at? Just curious....

Mark

Software is set at 30K across the board (with all the software settings per the LD manual), but I haven't rechecked the tuning yet...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Smile

Check some of the stock shows that come with Pangolin. If they look OK, then the problem isn't with your scanners.

My guess is that your new Floyd shows are more complex, and that's what's causing the flicker. You can try reducing your scan angle a bit and bumping the scan speed up to 40K... That will help. Just don't go overboard with the scan angle. If the images start to distort at all, that means you're pushing the scanners to hard. Reduce your scan angle or lower the speed in that case.

Flicker is almost never going to be caused by a tuning problem. It's either a speed setting that is too low, or a frame that has too many points in it. A good rule of thumb is to try to stay under 1000 points per frame, though the flicker doesn't really get bad until you get up to around 1500 points or so. (This is assuming you're running at 30Kpps.)

One final thing: A dark room will help a lot. In a bright room, the flicker will appear more pronounced. So try to dim the lights if you can.

Adam

You can try reducing your scan angle a bit and bumping the scan speed up to 40K...
    There are certain shows where this will cause problems. I can't remember if it's when the animation is set to frame based or refresh based, I think it's frame based. A great example of this, is when you play the Kryptonite show, try it at 20K, then again at 40K, the part where you are flying through the city will change. There's another setting that can cause problems, I can't remember the name of it specifically, it has to do with the number of blank points between tracks, for some of Mike Dunn's stuff, it seems to work better set to 8, instead of the default 4. This wont affect flicker though.

Try closing the preview window. If that helps then the problem has to do with your video card in the computer.

How long until the nxt PL gathering? Some problems are hard to understand when using only words in a forum...

Bill

How long until the nxt PL gathering?
    Hey Bill, funny you should ask:
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/allthats-cam

Well, my first "corporate" gig was a success, and as is usually the case, I was the only one that really noticed the flickering!!

All the same -

I would definitely like to spend some time taking a look at this at SELEM.

Any chance a nice set of Cambridge scanners will go as a door prize?
    RR

Sweet.....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Well, my first "corporate" gig was a success, and as is usually the case, I was the only one that really noticed the flickering!!
    All the same -
    I would definitely like to spend some time taking a look at this at SELEM.
    Any chance a nice set of Cambridge scanners will go as a door prize?
    Not unless you're willing to donate them!

Besides, if the scanners are running at the same speed (30K), then the flicker is going to be the same no matter which brand you choose. (Unless you were talking about the new high speed Cambridge units that can go up to 60K speeds, that is...)

We can certainly run some tests at SELEM, however. Plug your computer into someone else's projector, for example, and run the same show to see if the flicker is any different. (My prediction is that it will be the same as long as the other projector has it's scanners tuned for 30K as well.)

Like I said, the problem is most likely due to the fact that the new shows you bought have very complex frames in them with lots of points. More points = more flicker.

And yeah, to the untrained eye, the flicker is barely noticeable.

Adam

Lightbulb

My scanners flicker at 30k just as much as anyone elses... And for all the FLEM 7 attendees, I had them set at 20k at 25 degrees. The flickered a bit more than usual.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin