Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangolin overpriced?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    If you bought a 2nd QM2000, what is to stop you from using it on a 2nd computer as a full blown system? Does it have some sort of license that ties it to a single computer?
    The FB3 and QM2000 boards are all serial numbered, which act as the license for the package.
    So, while most of the Pangolin software will not run without a board attached, there is no software license required to actually install the software.

Running the software on multiple computers is both legal, and encouraged!
    (Comes in handy when the "primary" show development machine is a desktop, but the the FB3 or QM.NET need to travel with a laptop! )
    Last edited by Stuka; 10-05-2010 at 16:46.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    You're right dude -

That "ridiculous comment" was aimed at the fact that I have seen your very nice - and what looks to be - very expensive RGB projector, and I just assumed, quite ridiculously on my part, obviously, that the same effort and quality would go into subsequent builds.

Obviously not the case, and I sincerely hope you find cheap controller solutions for all your cheap follow-on projectors.
    I doubt if the solution will be Pangolin, since somehow, I doubt if the comments posted in this thread will be cause for Pangolin to change their pricing or marketing structure.

Personally I'd be surprised to see many people here go crapping out sweet-ass 5W RGBs repeatedly in sick cases with optical tables, Newport mounting hardware, and the whole nine yards simply because they could do it once. Sometimes (especially with DIY) things just fall together in sort-of a one time deal.. there's a wide range of designs that are more than sufficient that aren't nearly as expensive or big as that. There's no way that i would entertain the notion of building some mono-color projectors in those cases, but I'd still want some side fill.. so therefore I'd fabricate something as best I could, try to get it certified and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    At $1500 for a glorified sound card based on a processor intended to run washing machines, I doubt it too.
    I guess I have to be the 'zealot' here. You do realize the QM2K was released 11 years ago, right?

The reason the chinese are eating their breakfast is because their stuff is an awful lot cheaper because it was designed more recently.
    Actually, from what I've heard, China is Pangolin's biggest customer. Maybe I've missed something, but does someone in China sell lasershow software?

And in regards to the post relating Beyond to vaporware, there are quite a few of us that have seen Beyond at a couple of the LEM's. I have no problem with them waiting another 5 years before releasing it, I just know that when it's out, it's going to be a solid product.

Gosh, does it really make me a zealot? I've had nothing but a fantastic experience with Pangolin so in return I stick up for the product, this makes me a bad person?

flecom, in response to your post, I feel your pain. I've alway wanted a couple more QM2K's, but since this is just a hobby, it's very cost prohibitive. The good news, from what I understand, is that at some point in the future a QM2K will be able to run FB3's. I heard this at a LEM some time ago, hopefully it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Gosh, does it really make me a zealot? I've had nothing but a fantastic experience with Pangolin so in return I stick up for the product, this makes me a bad person?

flecom, in response to your post, I feel your pain. I've alway wanted a couple more QM2K's, but since this is just a hobby, it's very cost prohibitive. The good news, from what I understand, is that at some point in the future a QM2K will be able to run FB3's. I heard this at a LEM some time ago, hopefully it's true!
    I agree and yes, I remember hearing the same thing. So that solves the problem! NEXT!

Maybe I've missed something, but does someone in China sell lasershow software?
    These guys do...

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    I agree and yes, I remember hearing the same thing. So that solves the problem! NEXT!
    Yep, me too!
    SELEM '09, I think?

Cool...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

The good news, from what I understand, is that at some point in the future a QM2K will be able to run FB3's. I heard this at a LEM some time ago, hopefully it's true!
    Yep, me too!
    SELEM '09, I think?
    This can't come soon enough! I hope Bill's watching this thread and would be kind enough to give us an update...

Help me to remember what was the time frame bill offered on the QM running in QS? wasn't we would see it in 2010?
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Help me to remember what was the time frame bill offered on the QM running in QS? wasn't we would see it in 2010?
    Quote, "Before the end of the year" End quote...

You're right dude -

That "ridiculous comment" was aimed at the fact that I have seen your very nice - and what looks to be - very expensive RGB projector, and I just assumed, quite ridiculously on my part, obviously, that the same effort and quality would go into subsequent builds.

Obviously not the case, and I sincerely hope you find cheap controller solutions for all your cheap follow-on projectors.
    I doubt if the solution will be Pangolin, since somehow, I doubt if the comments posted in this thread will be cause for Pangolin to change their pricing or marketing structure.
    you cant honestly believe that the way pangolin has their pricing structure setup for additional projectors makes ANY sense can you?

did you guys really drink that much of the pango-koolaid?