Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin overpriced?

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post

From Wikipedia:

Vaporware
    is a word used to describe products, usually computer hardware or software, that were not released on the date announced by their developer, or that were announced months or years before their release.

If the shit fits...
    I think Wikipedia is wrong...

I've always known "Vaporware" as something that was announced to the public but never went farther than a concept and/or bits and pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    I think Wikipedia is wrong...

I've always known "Vaporware" as something that was announced to the public but never went farther than a concept and/or bits and pieces.
    Or in my experience, a software vendor sells my client an "off the shelf" solution "simply" requiring configuration. Client later discovers that all the time they were "configuring", they were still writing base code! They were sold vapourware. Most of my work revolves around remediating the problems that caused (rushed development).

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    So your "graphics card" analogy is flawed.
    woah woah, look up CUDA and come back and say that again

heres some of the stuff "simple graphics cards" are doing

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_showcase_html.html

a workstation with a few modern graphics card is outperforming supercomputers/clusters from a few years ago (all on one windows license! )

also I could not buy FB3's because when I bought my LD2000 system they did not exist yet... and while the QM is a very powerful device, its crippled by its lack of expandability (find me a PC133 stick >512MB) hence why Beyond is going to be using it as a framebuffer... just like a FB3

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    (find me a PC133 stick >512MB) hence why Beyond is going to be using it as a framebuffer... just like a FB3
    I can find you about 8 of them that I bought but none work in the QM card. Even the single sided one.
    leading in trailing technology

woah woah, look up CUDA and come back and say that again

heres some of the stuff "simple graphics cards" are doing

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_showcase_html.html
    CUDA is just using the Graphics Card as a processor. The graphics card alone without the rest of the pc can do nothing.

The QM is a computer in its own right. If your control PC crashes then your show will still continue to play uninterupted in the QM as its able to run completely independant of the PC / laptop. Thats why its so popular with professional users because it brings rock steady reliability to a show. PC crashes, no worries. Your show continues whilst you reboot.

As for "Vapourware" Heroic, QS 2.0 is very much here. I'm going to stick my neck out and predict a full release within weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    The QM is a computer in its own right. If your control PC crashes then your show will still continue to play uninterupted in the QM as its able to run completely independant of the PC / laptop. Thats why its so popular with professional users because it brings rock steady reliability to a show. PC crashes, no worries. Your show continues whilst you reboot.
    Last time I lost a power supply hence PC crash, the laser show stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Well thats how I understood it works. I haven't got one myself. Maybe I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    maybe if you are playing a full show that got loaded into memory... in which case you would lose audio (which would ruin the show) and rebooting the computer would reboot the card... if you are running livepro and the pc or livepro crashes your output will freeze because it uses the QM as a frame buffer

also beyond is going to use the QM as a framebuffer so that argument goes out the window

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    your lucky all you did was stop!

dont skimp out on power supplies seriously, I have seen many cheap power supplies take out expensive hardware

you can get a good PC Power & Cooling supply for not that much $$$

your lucky all you did was stop!

dont skimp out on power supplies seriously, I have seen many cheap power supplies take out expensive hardware

you can get a good PC Power & Cooling supply for not that much $$$
    I switched to a Nexus supply and have been pretty happy. Hopefully it will last.