Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangolin overpriced?

Lightbulb

And... the shows!!! I have not seen any "canned" shows with any other software that can really compare to the shows that are included with the LD2000 suite and that is even watching the shows (I have LDS basic) on the QM2000. They seem amature in comparison to me, but this may just be the LDS shows that come with the Basic kit. Now that I have made two shows on the QM2000, I kinda wonder how they would have looked had I created them on another platform.

I don't have all the experience of most of the members here on PL and unfortunately, due to my job that keeps me far from home, I cannot dedicate enough time to my addiction to lasers.
    Anyway, I wanna also say that my tiny FB3 is an amazing package.
    It works flawless on any PC, fast, slow, buggy, with XP, Vista sp0 sp1 sp2 and the bundled software does not mess up with any setting of the system host.
    In other words, if I start a show, I don't have to be scared that it might crash.
    In a world where even a mobile phone need a monthly firmware update just to stay ON, I think that the level of reliability of Pangolin's products is simply priceless.
    Not to mention that if I have any comment, or request, or curiosity, I was always honored to have a nice and clear chat with Bill Benner in person, even if I am a "generic" "nobody" customer, from a "nowhere" country, who have purchased the cheapest stuff in the price list.
    Plus I will soon get not just an update, but a new software environment for free....
    I might say that after being "Pangoed", I couldn't see any way back

Last edited by Pitopito; 07-04-2009 at 21:08. Reason: my poor english

Its a fact of life with any tech device(s) that cost versus performance always applies.
    It is also a fact of life for all of us that we have budget limits. Even Bill Gates I guess.

Given the now available range from Pangolin and the other manufacturers products on the market just about anyone can get something if they want.

Is Pangolin expensive.. well I guess is BMW expensive ? BMW make a "cheapie" car but it ain't the 700 series.
    Same with Pango.
    There's something in the range for most wallets, if not there are cheaper units out there if your happy with them.

For those of us who have been here a year or two and the many with way more time then me, I imagine the FB3 is very much a welcome arrival. I seem to read only glowing reports for it.
    Many of you may not know but the FB3 is not even available as a dealer product in an attempt to keep the cost down to keep all happy. ( it is essentially a OEM product in quantity for incorporating into "X")

Bill also bundled in Pro' in the eval' product to help hobbyists along.

In life its always funny how a welcome gesture in one year can become a demanded expectation by some newer people who have no idea how the product came to be in the first place.

Lasers will always be a money hobby or an expensive business to setup... no way out of this yet. Trust me on this I know.
    I believe that Pangolin and others (even guys here on PL) have done a great job in helping us all along so that there is a range of product for all, from absolute entry on few dollars, to top of the line Pro systems costing thousands..

Cheers

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    ... We will soon be releasing Lasershow Designer QuickShow. This is our very latest software based on the latest thinking and technology from Pangolin. It currently operates on our FB3, so it means that FB3 users will be able to download this software FOR FREE.
    Schweeet

Is it a timeline based lasershow creator?

I started off with a MediaLas box and Mamba Black.
    Once I managed to get hold of a QM32 I was blown away, so much so that I got rid of the ML setup and bought a FB3.

There is no comparison between the ML and the Pango products, even running the same shows side by side the Pango out performs the ML visually, much smoother and much brighter.
    Also with the Pango kit lock ups and crashes are a thing of the past.

Customer support with Pango is also something I have never experienced the likes of with any other company. They respond to emails straight away, sometimes within minutes, you can phone them and get straight answers. If you have an issue with something not working as you expect (which is rare), you don't get fobbed of with excused about it being other hardware, some third party software or the operating system and you need to take it up with a third party, they will take the problem onboard and sort it for you.

Again with customer support, what other company have you ever heard of that will let you send scanners into them that they don't even sell, do modifications to them and tune them for you, ALL FOR FREE?

Which other company can you email or phone the CEO and get a personal responce from him?

Pango are the "mutz nutz", in the words of Alexander the Merecat "Simples" (I guess only us brits will understand that LOL).

Jim

What I need is a Software where I can make my own show.
    Quick and simple !

With Mamba Black I can draw frames and lines easy, create simple and cool effects.
    Then add Music (Mp3), and place the frames where I want the effects to be in the music.

So the question is: What Pangolin Software can to the same thing ? and to what price ?
    As I remember, with FB3 you can`t make your own shows synced with music ?

Correct me if I`m wrong :-)

Lightbulb

I do that fine in Showtime, although that is with the QM2000. You can make shows the same way no matter what level of the QM2000 you have. I am not sure about synching with the FB3.

Quote Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
    Quick and simple !

With Mamba Black I can draw frames and lines easy, create simple and cool effects.
    Then add Music (Mp3), and place the frames where I want the effects to be in the music.

So the question is: What Pangolin Software can to the same thing ? and to what price ?

Sure can - for the FB3, it's ShowRider in the the LAStudio suite, which is available as a free download from Pangolin. You can also use the free LiveQuick software for some real-time manual interaction (or get the same results with DMX), or get LivePro for the FB3 for some beat-synced real-time performance.

There is also a version of LAStudio (also free) for the QM2000-series boards, althought most folks will probably use Lasershow Designer & Showtime (which come with it) or Live Pro for some kick-ass real-time performance.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
    Quick and simple !

The great thing with Mamba compared to Pangolin, is that in Mamba you have the frames editor in the same software than the one you use for creating shows. I miss that a lot...

Another very effectives features although very simple are the "rainbow" color and the "draw in / out / reverse" of Mamba. I never managed to make the same effects with a simple click with Pangolin software. There's some (very) complex tools to manage color and fade in/out, but I never fully understood how to use them effectively, and I'm still seriously asking myself if there's a way to do the simple things which Mamba is doing.

Also things like frames movements and sizing along the tracks are more intuitive in Mamba, as there's a graphic representation, while in Pangolin it's only sliders (in fact, you have both in Mamba).

So yes I have to agree, Mamba is a lot more simple and fast to create shows, but with Pangolin you can make some more complex things, according you fully understand the software, and you have some serious time to spend...
    (I used both softwares for some years so I think I reached a certain level of use).

Now hardware speaking, I only have the FB3 so it's comparable to the Easylase. Both are great and have equal features. But there's nothing comparable to the QM2000, maybe the Netlase but I'm not sure it has the power calculation onboard as in the QM2000.

About the bug, they both have quite a lot although Pangolin don't seems to encounter complete crashes, but some anoying others.

One more thing, there's nothing comparable to the almost perfect service (email answers, etc) you get from Pangolin

Question

Did you know you can open LD2000 while in Showtime and edit the frames for your show while making it? To me that is the same thing as having an editor in your show creation software. The last show I made only took me 12 or so hours. What do consider a "quick" show?