Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Pangolin overpriced?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I've got a half dead 1996 quadmod 32, still outputting x-y-blanking, needs work on the color channels. Place your bets that I can still get 700 for it on ebay.
    Thats value.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I'm also a very happy FB3 owner.

One thing to consider perhaps is that the cost of laser hardware has dropped significantly in recent years due to the mass production of DPSS lasers and the ever decreasing cost of adequate performance scanners for very little cash (they'll be giving them away soon!) So, where previously the software/hardware to control your projector was simply a percentage of the total cost, now it can cost more than the rest of your kit put together (e.g. a 1/2 watt 532 projector could be built for under £700 now I reckon) So comparatively, the cost is high for those new to the market (and have no previous experience of what it cost to obtain 1/2 watt of power 5 or 10 years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    And a Turbo Go Kart !!
    Iv'e sold that ages ago. It was a jet turbine Kart not a turbo Kart
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    I could swear that the posted prices of both Phoenix "Pro" and Phoenix Live are more expensive than LD2000 Intro
    Hmm, for one or two(+1) projectors is the price for LD2000 very good.
    But if you need use eight different projectors, it becomes expensive.

Pangolin Pro + 8xQM etc = $8500
    LDS Pro + 8x DAC = $3000 max. (all prices for germany)

You must differentiate between for which one it need.
    $8500 for my hobby-software is a little too much.
    For Professionels, ok.
    Last edited by dstar; 07-01-2009 at 15:24.
    Christian

Ahahahah LOL ROTFL....overpriced?....hahah... you should get a quote for Lasergraph. Then you will find out what overpriced really means. Pangolin is a very good system for a good price.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

I also have a FB3, and used to think Pangolin was overpriced, but the FB3 is a frikkin awesome piece of hardware, and the software is very capable, even though it takes a while to learn completely

The only downside I see to the FB3 is it's lack of graphics shows, but then again, that gives me more of a push along to make some myself

Quote Originally Posted by dstar View Post

For Professionels, ok.
    Eight projectors seems well outside the realm of what I'd consider a hobby user. (Unless you're Bill Gates. )

You technically only need one Pangolin Pro and 7 Intros...

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Eight projectors seems well outside the realm of what I'd consider a hobby user. (Unless you're Bill Gates. )
    Hmm, in the last 4 years i have for me 2 RGB, 2RGY and different G projectors build.
    At present i build my new RGBcenter with more Power, some Gratings and CTs.
    I use 4 EL-dacs with LDS pro. (+another Dac next month)
    If I could get LD2000 with 6 different Outputs under $4000, perhaps then I would change.

And yes, it is only my Hobby, and I´m not Bill G.

You technically only need one Pangolin Pro and 7 Intros...
    Wow, $18.500 in Germany
    But I think, LD2000pro works also only with several QM2000!
    I have paid for my LDS with 4xEL under $1.200
    Last edited by dstar; 07-02-2009 at 02:26.
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by dstar View Post

For Professionels, ok.
    Hi Christian,

Just a few comments. First, if you want to control more than one system, you don't need a PRO for this. That used to be the case, but we changed it years ago. Now Intro can control up to 30 projectors!

Second -- we tend to price our products based on the hardware, not the software. Unlike everyone else, we don't sell the two separately. So it's not possible to buy just one Pangolin software, plus some number of hardware "DACs" with us. Every single "DAC" from us allows you to run the software separately.

This means that in your scenario above, if you purchase LDS in the way you describe, you could only control 8 laser projectors. In the case of Pangolin, you could control 8 projectors, or you could do two gigs with 4 projectors each, or 8 gigs with one projector each. Basically, since our software will run as long as there is hardware attached, it gives you the flexibility to mix and match shows and gigs as you want. So it's more versatile. For people who have 8 projectors, sure, they might exclusively do gigs that have 8 projectors, but it's more likely that they would hire another laserist and do additional gigs with less equipment.

Here's another example of how we price things based on hardware, and not software. We will soon be releasing Lasershow Designer QuickShow. This is our very latest software based on the latest thinking and technology from Pangolin. It currently operates on our FB3, so it means that FB3 users will be able to download this software FOR FREE. At some point in time we will get it working with the QM2000, at which point it will also be FREE for those users as well.

So this is more like Apple computer. You pay for the hardware. The hardware itself may seem more expensive, but when you understand that, in many instances additional software (and shows) are free, well, you start to see the economics and versatility of our approach.

Bill