Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting thin aluminum with Dremel tools...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get aluminum shavings out of carpeting (not to mention the "noise & flying particles" all over the furniture, TV, computer, kitchen....)! [/QUOTE]

Do you have any idea how much harder it is when your landlord works in the same building and his cousin(da snitch) lives 2 doors down.???????

All my good gear is 220 miles and 45$ round trip away.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    what about a nibbling tool followed by a file - easy and no power involved..
    That sounds entirely too easy, and it turns out I had one stuck in the "travel toolbox".

Son of a....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Do you have any idea how much harder it is when your landlord works in the same building and his cousin(da snitch) lives 2 doors down.???????
    Yeah, "neighborly concerns" plays a part here too, with roughly the same distance and cost to get to the "real" workshop back home...

Reckon' I'll be doing some drilling, Dremeling, filing & nibbling outside the apartment window this weekend...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    That sounds entirely too easy, and it turns out I had one stuck in the "travel toolbox".

Son of a....

The only catch with a nibbler, is the alloy cant be too thick.. Also, make sure you use the tool from the inside of the panel. That way, you wont scratch the outside surface up
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Nothing like stepping on a resistor lead in your carpet to wake you up in the morning... Like a needle in the foot!
    Been there done that. Hurts like hell.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by redgoat View Post
    Been there done that. Hurts like hell.

To paraphrase a favorite movie, "I love the scream of stepping on a 8 pin dip in the morning!"

Which leads to the question, why do 8 pin dips always land PINS UP? Are they cousins to peanut butter on toast?

youch!, you only do that one about twice.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    To paraphrase a favorite movie, "I love the scream of stepping on a 8 pin dip in the morning!"

Which leads to the question, why do 8 pin dips always land PINS UP? Are they cousins to peanut butter on toast?

youch!, you only do that one about twice.

Steve
    ...and what would happen if you glued an 8 pin dip to the un buttered side of a piece of toast, that was on the side of a cat, or indeed; what would happen if you buttered the back of a cat?

I reckon even in zero G; toast would inexplicably accelerate, as if on a suicide mission, straight to the fluffiest surface, peanut butter side first.

Probably.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Some body needs to pick up a small plasma torch and compressor.....if a straight edge is used for a fence for the tip of the nozzle it will cut a very nice edge. Only a small bit of slag to cut off with a file. I do have a shear available...a 4' Pexsto. Or opt for the quiet way...Co2 laser!!!
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Cool

If the aluminium sheet is thin enough (1-2mm thick) i just use a stanley knife and a metal rule, cut the aluminium and bend along the cut, i get a nice straight cut everytime.

I always managed to get component clippings in my feet. The most recent one was a nice big 24pin DIP package ...