Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting thin aluminum with Dremel tools...

Default Cutting thin aluminum with Dremel tools...

For those of you who have recommended and used Dremel (or similar) tools to make your panel cutouts in thin aluminum, which of the cutting bits and/or discs seemed to work the best for you?

Thanks in advance!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    For those of you who have recommended and used Dremel (or similar) tools to make your panel cutouts in thin aluminum, which of the cutting bits and/or discs seemed to work the best for you?

Thanks in advance!!
    Thick disks, al oxidizes, thus you get AL02 which is abrasive as all get out, and is tough enough to wear down the disks,

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

What about some of the high-speed bits that are available now?
    I figure if any are suitable for aluminum, that would probably be quite a bit quicker than drilling & cutting with the cutoff discs.

Unfortunately, the apartment where my "laser workshop" is now located doesn't lend itself to experimenting with metal cutting power tools...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Lightbulb

Kinda shitty "laser workshop" you got there then...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Drills, saws and files make short work of it, I have had good success with HSS burr tools in my Dremel, but it's so easy with a jigsaw and some files it's not worth the noise and flying particles. (IMHO )
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Kinda shitty "laser workshop" you got there then...
    Ya' got that right!! Calling it a "laser workshop" is a bit of a stretch !

The other, "real" home, with an actual garage, is a MUCH better place to try to handle these projects - plus, I have tools there to do most of what I need to do!!

Unfortunately, I'm not there too often these days, so I gotta' make do with a one-bedroom apartment with crappy wall-to-wall carpeting.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get aluminum shavings out of carpeting (not to mention the "noise & flying particles" all over the furniture, TV, computer, kitchen....)!
    RR

Sweet.....

In the past I have used just a hacksaw, last time a jigsaw, but a file is needed no matter what. I didn't have much space either, you can always cut it on the front porch or the parking lot... Damn reminds me I need to drill more aluminum (just moved and have the carpet problem too (back to an extension cord running out the door).

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get aluminum shavings out of carpeting
    YES! That and solder, neither of which are as bad as dropping the cut leads from resistors onto carpets. Nothing like stepping on a resistor lead in your carpet to wake you up in the morning... Like a needle in the foot!

Cool

Forget the metal bits that come with the Dremel tool. They'll plug up with spall very quickly. I don't even use them for clean-up work on the edges anymore. It's faster to just file them.

I had the best results using the fiberglass-reinforced oxide cut-off wheels. These are the ones that are slightly larger (about 1 3/8 inches in diameter) and have a "waffle pattern" visible on the sides. They cut very well (through just about *any* material) and will not shatter. They also last a long time.

The smaller oxide wheels will work in a pinch, but you'll burn through 4 or 5 of them just cutting a single hole for a fan. And they shatter *very* easily, so wear safety glasses. (Which you should be doing anyway.) I never use these smaller wheels anymore.

Also, don't bother buying the Stainless Steel cutting wheels you see at Harbor Freight. They're useless. Stick with the fiberglass reinforced oxide wheels and you'll be golden. (Though admittedly, a Dremel tool makes for a rather rough looking hole. You'll still need to clean it up with a file...)

Adam

what about a nibbling tool followed by a file - easy and no power involved..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/