Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser Investment Opportunity Advice Needed!

Default Laser Investment Opportunity Advice Needed!

Hello to all. I volunteer at a local Science Theater. They have a Approx. 10yr old Laser show system from a company called Lexel lasers. It uses 4 colors, however the red gas tube is broken and was quoted at $12,000 to repair. The science theater doesn't use the laser anymore anyways, so they just want to get it "out of the way." good for me I hope. I made them an offer and they said they would take it. I need expert opinion. If I buy this laser system, will I be able to resale it and make some money? (after playing it with it some first of course

More info about laser: I think you can program it if I can get the pangolin chip. However, from what I understand it has several ADAT's. However it also has cables for connecting it to a computer. It has a color pro box, and a laser housing box. It has a variable output power controller that maxes at 2W~. It is very nice, looks new and was well maintained. All the original material and boxes are with it!
    Please forum, help me out. What do you think. I don't know enough to determine the resale value of a laser system such as this. Does it's age matter much? I didn't think laser technology has changed A LOT in ten years, I might be wrong, I also might be wrong on it's age, it might not be 10yrs, fewer perhaps. Thanks for any help you can offer guys!
    ~pianoman~
    Last edited by Pianoman; 08-17-2009 at 08:18.

YES, it is worthwhile. Be sure to get the ADAT tape player along with the tapes. Do not put them in a VCR, or in a player of unknown condition (such as the one from there, till you test it with a blank tape). The shows on those tapes were purchased for a princely sum back then, and are still useful to many (like me). The controllers might be worthwhile as well, and the galvo/blanking system as it is probably PCAOM.

As for the laser itself, it depends on the hours/condition of the remaining tubes but this buy would be worth it just for the other stuff mentioned.

Hiya pianoman, and welcome tot he forum.

You've come to the right place, but before I give any opinion, can you please let us know where abouts are you? and can snap a couple pictures of the laser?

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Hey thanks for the info. And sorry but I can't tell you where I live. Not until I decide whether I will purchase the laser or not. I don't want anyone coming in and trying to steal it out from under me. I have volunteered there ALOT which is why they are giving me such a great price. I would be upset if someone else came and outbid me. haha as for pictures I only have a few poor quality ones on my phone, I can't upload them to computer, post your cell number and I can send it, other than that, I don't have pics. sorry.

Hey pianoman, welcome to PL. If you can get all that, it would be a steal at 2-300 bucks. Sounds like a lexel 95 tandem pair, that alone could get you your money back and then some if either of them work. The argon probably does, but it sounds like the krypton is dead. The computer may have a pangolin card, being 10 years or more old, is probably a QM32, but most likely a pro card. As for the tapes, they may or may not be adat, there was at least one company that I know of that was using VCR's to run thier shows. Also, being 10 years old, the data on the tape is going to be rather fragile. Please tell me you live somewhere near Newton, NC and will have all this stuff by next weekend?! Check this thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8044

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=DZ;108941]Hey pianoman, welcome to PL. If you can get all that, it would be a steal at 2-300 bucks. Sounds like a lexel 95 tandem pair, that alone could get you your money back and then some if either of them work. The argon probably does, but it sounds like the krypton is dead. The computer may have a pangolin card, being 10 years or more old, is probably a QM32, but most likely a pro card. As for the tapes, they may or may not be adat, there was at least one company that I know of that was using VCR's to run thier shows.

I have a friend who has lexel KR tubes for sale, so while two 200$ red diodes can replace it, the gas laser still wins on beam quality.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

the gas laser still wins on beam quality.
    No doubt about that!

all right thanks for the feedback and info. I will probably buy it. My next question is: is anyone interested, if so, I would need a deposit (to show that you ARE genuinely interested, and going to follow through), the rest of the payment could be made in person, or via postage.

My goal is to make enough on the resell to buy a good pen sized laser. I want a 532nm 200mW or higher power one. So I am going to call the comapny and get an estimate b4 i decide on a price, but feel free to message me offers.

I have wanted a good laser with burning ability for years. The only one I have was bought on ebay out of ignorance "sigh" and sucks, supposedly 100mW, but has horrible beam divergence and poor quality. It won't maintain a solid beam, and wont even get close to burning anything or even getting it warm for that matter. SO... The floor is open for offers! message me if u want to bid!

Sorry! forgot to mention, there are several program tapes that they said come with it, I think they are ADAT. I think there are 4 or 5. Will let u know when I find out for sure, plus pics are coming soon!
    Last edited by Pianoman; 08-02-2009 at 18:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Pianoman View Post
    all right thanks for the feedback and info. I will probably buy it. My next question is: is anyone interested, if so, I would need a deposit (to show that you ARE genuinely interested, and going to follow through), the rest of the payment could be made in person, or via postage.

My goal is to make enough on the resell to buy a good pen sized laser. I want a 532nm 200mW or higher power one. So I am going to call the comapny and get an estimate b4 i decide on a price, but feel free to message me offers.

I have wanted a good laser with burning ability for years. The only one I have was bought on ebay out of ignorance "sigh" and sucks, supposedly 100mW, but has horrible beam divergence and poor quality. It won't maintain a solid beam, and wont even get close to burning anything or even getting it warm for that matter. SO... The floor is open for offers! message me if u want to bid!

Sorry! forgot to mention, there are several program tapes that they said come with it, I think they are ADAT. I think there are 4 or 5. Will let u know when I find out for sure
    Well... we really need to know where you are then...

I may be VERY interested... depending on location/distance!

Those pictures may come in very handy right now

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

I can only tell you the state until I have completed the purchase. I live in TN, however, I travel to Ohio, every few months, so if you live in a state along that path, you wouldn't have to worry about shipping. However, if you don't live anywhere nearby and ur still interested, it would be possible to have it shipped.

I cant get the picture to appear. How do you attach pics?
    Last edited by Pianoman; 08-02-2009 at 20:22. Reason: forgot