Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making a TTL laser analogue modulated ?

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Get in touch with Rob (Stanwax) when you're ready to try the conversion. He's done a few of them, and had considerable success. He can probably offer some very useful advice.

Adam
    I've just ordered some dichro's from Rob so I'll probably be in touch with him anyway. The most ideal solution is to get a few Die4Drive boards and hook the lasers up to that, which would give me complete analog control on all three (RGV) modules, but I've got no idea on where to get the Die4Drive boards, except build everything from scratch.

I'll do some measurements on the laser's current draw when I have my lab set back up (near the end of the week), so I can figure out what the ballpark current value should be. The unit only has a heatsink so I don't need to worry about messing with the TEC.

Cool

I think Rob had a driver design that he was selling at one point... Might want to ask him about that. Also, Dr Lava here on PL sells the Flex-drive units, which would also work if you're having trouble finding the Die-4-drivers.

Adam

How about using an aom. will lose around 10% of power and it will be a little more cost, but it would be an option.

Why not contact the producer?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cavaleru View Post
    Why not contact the producer?
    I got the thing off DealExtreme (New Wish Laser) and I don't recall them having new driver boards.

I'll be fine if I can start working with TTL, just as long as I'm sure the software I'm planning to use (Spaghetti with Laserboy DAC) works with it. I can always switch to analog modulation later.

This is the unit I'm using:
    http://www.newwishlaser.com/english/...iew.asp?id=901

What about Mode Hops? Would be a PID-Regulator with fotoresistor monitoring usefull?

Quote Originally Posted by Xer0 View Post
    What about Mode Hops? Would be a PID-Regulator with fotoresistor monitoring usefull?
    Theoretically, that's the most useful and reliable option and that's used in pro laser drivers for years.

PWM'ing the output of a DPSS would probably work, since DPSS lasers have quite a slow warm-up time, so chopping their input current would result in dimming since the laser itself acts as an optical low-pass filter.

The same thing won't work on direct injected diodes (reds and Blurays) though.

I'll stick with TTL for some test runs, and I'll probably get some Flexmods in a week or so, provided they work with greens as well (I don't see a reason why not.)