Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ILDA Compliant Projector Safety Board...

Thumbs up Awesome

What a great project! Thanks for stepping up and doing what I am sure many folks here would like to tackle, but have on that perpetual to do list. It sounds like all of the suggestions made so far are very sensible.
    Can I send you a pre-payment so you can do the bulk discount when you send out for the etched boards???
    With one of these and one of DZ's breakout boards, future projectors will just just get cleaner, safer, and better.
    Thanks, Mike

If you really want to go all out on this project, why not also add:
    on the emergency stop button box, add 3 pots to the rgb 5 volt circuits, in order to have access to manual intensity control of the lasers.

Because you can do that in software

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    Because you can do that in software
    TRUE, but sometimes you have a major advantage doing Live shows, with hardware control, instead of having all software control,
    same thing with music performers, all software based music programs such as logic, or ableton, benefit from hardware controllers, for "live" performances.......

just my .02

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    TRUE, but sometimes you have a major advantage doing Live shows, with hardware control, instead of having all software control,
    same thing with music performers, all software based music programs such as logic, or ableton, benefit from hardware controllers, for "live" performances.......

just my .02
    This being true would be a nice SEPARATE project, feature creep can really kill any engineering project (although my training was in software not electrical engineering). I am pretty sure that one could slap something together for analog color control, but then a bunch of other fun stuff comes in to play like do you have it override the ilda cable signals for software blanking or ... and ... Lets keep this project rolling!

Good Job Adam, keep those gears grinding in your head!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ImageLight View Post
    That will forever be burn't into my memory as the second funniest thing that happened at SELEM09. The first being Buffo's reaction when his electric EQ shirt started shocking the shit out of him because of the sweat under it.
    The funny thing wasn't just that it was shocking me, but that initially I thought it was just a stray piece of wire or plastic that was poking/scratching me in the chest. At first it didn't hurt very much, so I just adjusted the shirt a little bit. But then it got progressively worse over the next minute or two, and towards the end it *really* hurt! By that time it had become abundantly clear to me (and everyone in the vicinity) that my shirt doubled as a pacemaker (or an AED even) once it got wet with sweat. YOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I am offended; this is the first time I have heard about this...
    Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Yeah, that makes two of us,....
    Well, it didn't take me very long to figure out what was going on, though as I recall it was someone else who first suggested that it might actually be shocking me and not just a wire poking me in the chest. I was backstage at the time, and I was near the "argon work table" when it finally dawned on me that I needed to put on another shirt underneath the EQ shirt to insulate myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    I obviously wasn't doing my job correctly..... The moment was priceless and I totally missed it.
    I think we've got enough embarrassing pictures/video of me as it is! Besides, now that this cat is out of the bag, I'm sure to catch all sorts of hell from Clandestiny for getting yet another shock at a Laser Enthusiast's Meeting. (But honestly, who among you would have thought that one of those damn shirts would be able to shock you? Seriously...)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    This being true would be a nice SEPARATE project, feature creep can really kill any engineering project (although my training was in software not electrical engineering). I am pretty sure that one could slap something together for analog color control, but then a bunch of other fun stuff comes in to play like do you have it override the ilda cable signals for software blanking or ... and ... Lets keep this project rolling!

Good Job Adam, keep those gears grinding in your head!

-Adam
    i was thinking, since your going to have to tap into the ilda port , it would be simple enought to just add three pots at the RGB signals, thats all.
    having the right features added might appeal to more potential customers.
    3 simple pots from the +5 to ground, will add the manual intensity controls

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    i was thinking, since your going to have to tap into the ilda port , it would be simple enought to just add three pots at the RGB signals, thats all.
    having the right features added might appeal to more potential customers.
    3 simple pots from the +5 to ground, will add the manual intensity controls
    <off-topic sorta>
    That would have been my first idea but could run into the problem of having weird voltage issues if the software is still controlling modulation. To do that correctly you would have to have a separate 5vdc power supply and a switch to over-ride the ilda signals. If I were to take on that project I would probably use one of DZ's breakout boards and tap in there. I have had interest in making something similar but I wanted to use a theremin for modulation control .
    </off-topic thread-jack>

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

I would buy one of these instantly to make my laser show I am building now complaint.... just wondering but is there any update on this?

Also is this http://www.pangolin.com/PASS/index.htm not the same general idea? and doe any body know how much it cost?

Pangolin's PASS system is quite a bit more advanced that what is planned here. It's a very nice product, but it's also a lot more expensive than what Adam (the other Adam) had planned. PASS is essentially a scan-fail interlock system that has been approved for audience scanning in the US. That is *serious* business!

The product being discussed here is more of a general interlock circuit that would simplify building a home-made projector. It would be sufficient for a variance for standard laser shows, but would not be enough for an audience scanning show.

Adam