Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasorb polarisation ?

Default Lasorb polarisation ?

Hello,

As i have just repaired my little green 150mW, i want to add a lasorb.
    The lasever housing has a very nice cavity (photos of the finished result will follow in my topic) to place a Lasorb.
    Does anyone know if i can mount it any way i like or does it have a + and a - terminal ? And does it affect my blanking or signal or power strength etc ?

Kind regards,
    Dimitri

You should consider reading the datasheets (page 7)

Yeah just found out, sorry i brought this up.
    The letter A stands for LDA (Anode) so has to be on the positive lead.

Before i wanted to mount the Lasorb i wanted to test the laser.
    It works, the focus could be better, first problem is i can run it for 30 to 45 seconds and then i turns off... i feel the housing warm up (not hot, handwarm) but the supply shuts it down.

Thankfully i got the pots, so i guess i have to increase the current to the tec to cool it even more (i don't want to change the shutoff temp, since this might damage it...)

Will experiment, maybe i first put in the lasorb. At least it's protected then....
    Any tips on how to adjust it for continuous use are welcome ;-)

There is a particular orientation where, you lie the LASORB "on it's back" and, looking at the pins, there is a vertical offset in the cavity. With the pins vertially offset upward, the Anode (what you are calling positive) is on the right.

The description is a bit awkward, but we have a picture in the datasheet which shows it pretty well.

The last batch of LASORB we made did indeed have the letter "A" laser marked above the LDA (what you call "positive") lead. I am glad it's there, but I still would prefer people to refer to the package orientation in the datasheet as that is 100% definitive.

Bill

Lightbulb

What if the lasorb had one longer leg, that's a quiet an unquestionable and universal way of marking an anode.

Hi Bart,

That is a VERY good idea. Where were you a few months ago when we started shipping the device?

Actually we are about to release a new style of LASORB. The older one had 100-mil pin spacing while the newer style will have 200-mil pin spacing. It is easier for us to manufacture this style. Since we haven't put any of these out and since we haven't made the new package datasheet, we can add this "one pin longer" idea.

Best regards,

William Benner

Maybe it's possible to create a round Lasorb as well ?
    So it can fit in Aixiz or other 5,6mm diode housings as well ?
    Just round, with 2 indentations (sp?) on each side to let the wire pass to the back to the powersupply/batteries.

Hi Bob,

Actually I spoke to Ante, who is the director of our Central Europe office and the manager of the LASORB project. I mentioned your idea and... he didn't like it. He mentioned that things that have one pin longer than the other are things that don't have laser marking ability -- for example, LEDs.

Ante has a good point. Our latest LASORB are white, and laser-marked, and we put an "A" on the lead that should be connected to the anode. Also, our newer generation of LASORB will have 200-mil pin spacing so the laser marking with "A" will be more obvious.

Regarding the "round" idea, we want to develop a SMT version of LASORB which we believe will be much smaller. It is conceivable that we can get it down to 1/4 inch area.

Best regards,

William Benner

He mentioned that things that have one pin longer than the other are things that don't have laser marking ability -- for example, LEDs.
    Not wanting to be a smart-ass; after all, it's your product.
    What about radial electrolytic capacitors, tantalium capacitors, slotted photo diodes, selective photo diodes, etc? They have lots of marking-space, yet they have the longer-leg too.

If you decide to mark it, forget the"A",consider using a graphical diode symbol instead.
    (->|- something like this), just as easy, and even more obvious.
    Last edited by -bart-; 09-07-2009 at 00:34.

Ok, good to hear there will be a smaller version. The current version fits however beautifully under a lasever 150mW housing, as my pictures in other topic show.