View Poll Results: How do you think of my review?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too lenient

5 41.67%
  • Fair

7 58.33%
  • Too harsh

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WL's 200 mW "Spyder I Pro" - the unbiased review!

Default Wicked Lasers 200 mW Spyder I Pro - the unbiased review!

This product has been discontinued as of July 2010.

Wicked Lasers recently sent me a Spyder I Pro for evaluation. Below is the review I promised Steve. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it.

Skip to the end of this boring review for pictures and videos.

----

Product: Spyder I Pro portable laser - 200 mW model
    Seller: Wicked Lasers
    Price: $997.97 + shipping
    Recommended accessories: Safety goggles; carrying case

Full disclosure: Though I received this laser at no charge, I've done my best to be impartial. I didn't sugarcoat the review in return for a free product, nor did I give it a lower rating than it deserves simply because Steve and I weren't on the best terms.

The classic Spyder is back - with a vengeance!

Free samples come in the mail every so often. They tend to be cheap items like razors, jelly beans and pain relievers. However, things can get pretty crazy when said sample is a 200 mW laser capable of destroying stuff.

To cut to the chase, the CEO of Wicked Lasers has been sending samples to members of various forums in exchange for reviews. I was one of the lucky recipients. This was something I had least expected, especially considering that I've been one of the company's biggest critics in the past.

For those who want to know the details, I'll be blunt: Wicked Lasers had a bad reputation over the last two years due to numerous complaints about defective units. People have also been banned from the official forums without cause, myself included. Yet recent reviews suggest the company has been working hard to improve its quality assurance and restore its image. I strongly believe in second chances and gladly accepted Steve's offer. After all, we're only human, and humans make mistakes.

As is normal for Wicked Lasers, shipping was extremely fast. The package was sent out Monday evening and delivered to my doorstep Thursday afternoon. Anticipating the UPS truck was like being a kid waiting for Christmas. I could hardly contain my excitement.

The basics

The Spyder I Pro is a complete redesign of the original Spyder product line, the latter of which was discontinued in early 2007 following the launch of the Spyder II in December. Due to popular demand, Wicked has brought back the original series and given it a new appearance. The Spyders aren't the only lasers receiving a makeover; the other products will also have upgraded versions as part of the company's new initiative.

The most obvious differences between the classic Spyder and the upgraded version are the switch location and new safety dongle; these will be covered later. The price hasn't changed much; the original 200 mW green Spyder was sold for $999.99 while the new model is only $2.02 cheaper. But what makes the Spyder I Pro a better deal is that it comes with 15,000 Wicked Bucks, equal to $150 in store credit. One could spend an additional $197.97 to extend the warranty from three months to two years.

The laser comes in a cardboard container with embedded magnets that hold it shut. The problem is that cardboard is relatively fragile and easily crushed during transportation. Given the $997.97 price tag, an aluminum or plastic case would have been nice. Those who want better protection may consider looking at specialized carrying cases.

Aesthetics

The Spyder I Pro itself is much larger than an average laser pointer and weighs quite a bit. You could probably knock someone out with this thing - not that I'd recommend it. The host has an anodized finish that makes it resistant to scratches. The engraved Wicked Lasers logo is also a nice touch. Despite its size and weight, the laser feels slick and fits comfortably in my hand.

The laser was covered in what appeared to be foam shavings and metallic powder upon arrival. I spent several minutes cleaning it before turning it on for the first time. There was also gunk in the joints; I was able to scrape some of it off before stopping out of fear of scratching the anodized finish. This minor problem doesn't affect the performance but is nevertheless something I could do without. Cosmetic issues aside, the laser gets high marks in the looks department.

Features and accessories

The Spyder I Pro uses a single 18650 lithium-ion cell, typically rated at 3.7 volts. These batteries generally aren't used in consumer electronics and can be difficult to find in stores. That wasn't a problem in my case: Wicked Lasers has kindly provided a fresh one, along with a DSD charger. This particular battery has a nominal capacity of 2,000 mAh and lasts about 90 minutes. The quality of the battery and charger won't be covered in this review as they were made by other companies.

A nice feature of the Spyder I Pro is its unlimited duty cycle. Users can leave it on indefinitely without the risk of overheating. The constant-on switch allows the power to stay on until the button is pressed again. This can be useful, especially when one wishes to observe the beam from a distance. Of note is that the switch is now on the tail cap. I find tail-cap switches to be less convenient, but this is more of a personal preference and won't figure into the rating either.

Unlike the original model, the Spyder I Pro is compliant with FDA regulations. Older rules required lasers above class IIIa to have five safety features, namely an indicator light, safety dongle, aperture shutter, emission delay and key switch. The rules have since been relaxed; according to Steve, only the indicator light and interlock are currently needed for FDA approval. The Spyder I Pro meets both of these requirements but has none of the now-optional features. This means the annoying emission delay is now gone, although laser enthusiasts may miss the aperture shutter, which has the side benefit of keeping dust off the lens.

The indicator light is a small red LED that turns on when the laser is running. While this feature is required for class IIIb and IV lasers, the 200 mW of green goodness makes it redundant except when the user is wearing goggles. This isn't to say that indicator LEDs are useless; in fact, they're absolutely essential for invisible wavelengths.

The interlock must be inserted for the laser to power on. The nice thing about the dongle is that it's inconspicuous and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Yet there is one frustration: sometimes it can be difficult to insert the interlock with the battery in place, although temporarily removing the tail cap solves the problem. For the purpose of preventing accidental activation, the interlock does its job pretty well.

On the subject of safety features, I'm surprised no protective goggles were provided. Considering that even a 15 mW laser can cause permanent eye damage, one can only imagine the dangers of a 200 mW one. Given the power of the Spyder I Pro, eye safety is of utmost importance. Even though I already own a set of 532 nm LaserShades, I feel they should be included with every purchase - which is what Wicked Lasers used to do.

Performance

The laser has an average output of 266.2 mW and peaks at 288.9 mW according to the included power graph. This is difficult to confirm as I don't have a laser power meter. However, the observations leave little doubt.

The inverse-square law means the apparent brightness of a laser is proportional to the square root of its power, assuming everything else remains the same. As is expected for a 200 mw green laser, the dot is incredibly bright. The beam is visible in a lighted room and easily outshines that of the 35 mW laser I got two years ago.

The Spyder I Pro is even more visually impressive at night. It pierced the heavens with a thin beam of 532 nm light - obviously after I made sure the sky was clear of aircraft. I then tested its range and was able to reach most of the clouds. Pictures don't do it justice at all.

The beam is about 1 mm wide at the aperture and has an approximate diameter of 28 mm at a distance of 15 m. This corresponds to a divergence of 1.8 mrad - which is higher than the advertised 1.5 mrad but not unexpected because the beam diameter is inversely proportional to the divergence due to diffraction. One can see there is a trade-off. Of course, that leaves a burning question: how well does the Spyder do what we really want it to do?

First was the classic match test: the laser effortlessly ignited a match that had been colored with a blue marker. I then pointed it at a red balloon that met its demise less than two seconds later. A fully inflated balloon would have popped even faster. The Spyder also cuts through black electrical tape in about 40 seconds. Last but not least, I decided to be stupid and stuck my finger in the beam - and promptly felt a sharp sting.

High-powered lasers like the Spyder definitely come in handy should you want to impress members of the opposite gender. Having said that, you should always take safety into account as these things aren't toys.

Conclusions

Although the Spyder I Pro is solid and reliable, that alone doesn't justify the cost. Despite the awesome features and the $150 credit towards future purchases, the $997.97 price tag is rather high. In comparison, one can easily find green lasers with similar outputs for less than $650 elsewhere.

The slick and ergonomic design makes this laser a unique product. In contrast to other companies, Wicked makes some of the best-looking lasers and could be considered a luxury brand. The Spyder I Pro is a great choice in terms of design and performance. But when it comes to price, there are better alternatives.

-- Danny Chia

Final verdict: 71% / Good
    Highs: Looks and feels awesome; performs above specifications in most aspects; burns stuff; constant-on switch is useful
    Lows: Some cosmetic issues; dongle can be hard to insert; could use a better case; high divergence; price
    Bottom line: Although the 200 mW Spyder I Pro is loads of fun, the price tag is a deal breaker.

Photos:

The UPS package and attached invoice

Front and back of the charger box

The case

Output graph

The laser and accessories

The dot

Indoor and outdoor shots

All photos and videos can be viewed at my Flickr account. The videos are also available on my YouTube channel.

I'd also appreciate feedback on my review. Please let me know if you think it's too lenient or too harsh.
    Last edited by ixfd64; 11-19-2016 at 18:33. Reason: grammar

ixfd64 ,
    Nice poll, loaded question much.

The majority of people aren't really that much into a 200mw laser pointer here. It is neat for curiosity sake but this is not lpf. Marketing score: c+

And now for something completely different.
    I can't ever look at polls the same.
    look up penn and teller bullshit... well here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If9EWDB_zK4

Fuck you frank!

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Personally I would never agree to reviewing a laser without having such basic equipment as a power meter. For laser modules I would even go as far as saying reviewers should also use a photodiode and oscilloscope/DAQ setup.

But tocket ...
    Don't you trust the 'how-fast-can-it-burn-black-electrical-tape' benchmark?

2nd that the pbps (number of popped balloons per second) is much more accurate!

Hey, i just got my second power meter (Scientech) and a nice Appa multimeter with USB logging for long time measurement so send it right over and I'll test it!

According to the power graph that was included, the laser has an average output of 266.2 mW and peaks at 288.9 mW. Since I do not have a laser power meter, I cannot confirm these measurements. However, I have little doubt that this laser performs up to the specifications.
    Review.. Disqualified!

nice review only to bad u could not verify the power output.

the should have send it to me lol
    Do not look into laser with remaining eye
    Need laser repair contact me !!!!!!

Exclamation Say WHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
    One important aspect of the Spyder I Pro series is that it is FDA compliant. Older regulations required lasers above class IIIa to have an indicator light, a safety interlock, an aperture shutter, an emission delay and a key switch, but the rules have been relaxed since. Currently, only the indicator light and the interlock are needed for FDA approval.
    Where did you get your information about relaxed CDRH rules? I have no such information, nor can I find any *hint* on the web that the rules have changed.

Please post a link to the CDRH website where it states that only an emmission indicator and an interlock are required.

Adam

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Where did you get your information about relaxed CDRH rules? I have no such information, nor can I find any *hint* on the web that the rules have changed.

Please post a link to the CDRH website where it states that only an emmission indicator and an interlock are required.

Adam

I'm calling CDRH on other business this afternoon, I'll get back to you guys on this. Rules were relaxed a few years ago for IIIA, NOT for IIIB and IV.

Besides, the one I'm reviewing soon came with the stickers off as a user installable "feature" and that is a violation in itself.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...