Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted information about CNI OEM-H DPSS modules

Default Wanted information about CNI OEM-H DPSS modules

Unfortunately this is not a review, rather I want to know some information about CNI OEM-H DPSS modules. I asked CNI about it, but I think my questions are all lost in translation. If you have used these modules, can you answer them for me?

Weartronics: If there is no TEC inside the module, how is the temperature of the diode and the YV04 controlled separately? It is important for OEM-H-473. CNI: the OEM laser do not have TEC usually,we can do TEC for you with additional fee.If you bought the laser,we will provide all the detail parameter for you.

I suspect they are talking about a TEC for the module housing, and none of the modules have internal TEC for the YV04 or SHG crystals. I fear for the power stability of the 473nm module especially. Does anybody have experience with them?

Weartronics: Is any terminal of the laser diode electrically connected to the module housing? CNI: this is absolutely,otherwise how should we control the laser diode?

Because neither anode or cathode of the diode is at ground potential, it means that if any terminal of the laser diode is electrically connected to the module housing, I have to insulate the module from the base plate. It makes the cooling difficult and the power stability worse. Does anybody know if the diode is insulated from the housing?

Weartronics: Why is the expected lifetime for the OEM modules only 5000 hours, when the lifetime for other modules is 10000 hours? CNI: the reason for shorter lifetime is that the OEM laser is a much simple module than the normal,its heat dissipation is not very well and so on, so the expect lifetime is shorter than the normal.

I realise that unlike most lab modules, the cooling is user-supplied in this case. But I still don't understand why the lifetime should be halved. It makes me uncomfortable about buying these modules.

Hi ... you might want to PM dave from lasershow parts as i reckon he has some experience with these CNI modules.

Cheers
    Brett

I was a bit more persistent with CNI, and now I know that the OEM-H series doesn't have any internal TEC at all, and the laser diode anode is connected to the module housing.

Correct Nic,

Only the bigger OEM modules have a TEC option.
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Does this mean that the (nice compact) CNI OEM laser diodes are worthless for building a laser projector?

Not at all. All that's needed is a simple TEC setup. I'm hoping something like the die4chill should be enough.

Last week, I received 2 x 1w 532 modules, one doing 1.8w! Ill get one running with TEC cooling to test the stability over the weekend..

Gotta say, I'm very impressed with these. Both 1w's have near perfect beam specs..

Although the different modules may use the same case and the same pump diodes, the internal design of DPSS, SHG and any consequent problems are quite different for each wavelength. The power stability of e.g. 473nm is particularly sensitive to temperature fluctuations, so individual TECs for each component are common. Some other wavelengths e.g. 532nm are much less sensitive to this, so one TEC can be used for the whole module. This is a complex issue which is difficult to resolve for the outsider. You have to rely on the manufacturers specifications for the module as a whole - they are probably accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by pimm87 View Post
    Does this mean that the (nice compact) CNI OEM laser diodes are worthless for building a laser projector?
    No, it only means that the CNI OEM modules are designed for small size and low cost, not high power stability. But power stability is not usually an important factor to consider for laser projector use. For most laser projectors, the price/power ratio is the most important factor, so the smallest and cheapest modules are actually the best choice.
    Last edited by weartronics; 09-24-2009 at 18:03.

Should have a decent power(3-400mw) 473nm here shortly to put thru its paces.

No, but I fear we'll see poor implementations of these modules in cheapo projectors soon.

Is there somebody who has integrated one of this modules already?