Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9/11

Default 9/11

Just thinking about those terrible events on 11th September 2001 .

I had the Satellite TV on in my office that day (watching the financial markets) and was stunned when the news started to unfold. Nothing can even begin to describe how I felt as I watched the second plane hit the towers. Up to that point it could have been some tragic accident, the second plane left no doubt it was a terrorist atrocity.

To coin a popular phrase, the world changed forever on that day. My thoughts go out to everyone who lost loved ones in the disaster, and to all those whose lives were touched by the events on that sad day.

There's so much that could be said, but words somehow would never even begin to explain or comprehend mans inhumanity to his fellow man. Lets hope that the world eventually finds peace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 09-11-2009 at 01:27. Reason: Added Wiki link
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

11/9, you guys have weird date formats

I noticed today during school it was the 11th today as well, and I second what Jem said.
    Last edited by Things; 09-11-2009 at 03:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    and to all those whose lives were touched by the events on that sad day.
    = anybody who is aware of the events that day.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Here is a link to a tribute my younger brother hosts on this day every year:

http://kdrsys.homeip.net/911tribute/

Definitely a sad, memorable day for most of us, and a life changer for many, even those that were not directly affected by the events of that day.

May we never forget.....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If you have a minute take the time to think about Laserist A.J.Seabeck, who was doing a install, and had to dive under a generator for cover, then walk out the long hard way to his home in NJ.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Ugly, Sad day in not only U.S. History, but world history.

No matter what your views, no matter what your beliefs, no matter who your god may be, no matter what your political insights may be, MURDERING of innocents is the work of cowards.

May we NEVER forget!

-Marc

(randy- your brother did an amazing job with that tribute!)
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

A sad day indeed, for everyone in the world.

Here's some interesting commentary from the UK, in case you missed it when it first came out. It's really well written, and it nails Marc's point exactly.

Adam

Today should be reserved for remembering the friends and families of those murdered on 9/11...every other day should be spent to answer the question...why.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

That commentary is right on the money...
    I'm Canadian.... and if It had been myself that was on the button that
    day... Well the outcome would have no doubt been different...

It is/was a sad horrific event.. but it makes us realize that "Satanic Cowards"
    are out there... and we are not immune...

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by lasersbee View Post
    but it makes us realize that "Satanic Cowards"
    are out there... and we are not immune...

Jerry
    Or "Devout Religious Cowards".. 9-11 was done in the name of Allah, not Satan.

It's most unfortunate that one's religion (supposedly the root of morality) can be misused and misunderstood to encourage senseless slaughter. This is a problem that has manifested itself in many religions over time, not just Muslim. Every religion is the only "true" religion and each "God" is the only true God. Finding common ground or a way to coexist is nearly impossible under that kind of belief system. Fortunately, most religious people just accept these differences and move on, living their lives in a way that they believe is right. Others force their beliefs on the people who do not share them, sometimes violently.

I'm sure it is a touchy subject among some, but in my opinion organized religion poses as large a threat to the future of the world as nuclear holocaust did during the cold war. Hopefully cooler heads will generally prevail in the big picture, so that things never get too out of hand.