Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: For Sale: Lightwave 'Halfnote' 2.5W? 532nm Laser

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    I suppose that kind of makes sense, the laser was doing 1/2 power, but it had 2000x as many hours as quoted so I suppose Ben actually came out ahead

I suppose I will have to put Jim and his buddies (jem, soroene...) down on the 'liable to just run away when a trade goes south' list
    Krazer-

you just insulted and accused some of the most respectable members of this forum which is completely uncalled for. I think you may want to re-think your position and your opinions before you make accusatory remarks such as those.

as far as the trade-

it seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that everything was laid out here in this post as to what each was getting.

Ben-

Sometimes you forget that you, yourself have had VERY bad trades in the past. my point of that is not to say that you "deserve" something going wrong to you now, but you need to remember that just as you always have/had an excuse as to why something went wrong, or as to why something didnt work as described, you need to cough *this* trade to the same.

jim quite clearly stated that as far "as he knew, from the information he received" this laser had only an hour on it. you posted that, he posted that. ok, clearly he was wrong. but that was the info that he received when he purchased this laser. that was the info that was a stipulation of this agreement that you 2 made. "he was under the assumption that this laser had 1 hour on it." it was documented to him as such.

i think you 2 are so pissed at each other that you are nitpicking each and every little negative thing. rightfully so. however- if you 2 didnt have such a poor track record with each other i think this outcome would be much more positive.

i personally dont think either of you misrepresented anything. i think you both got EXACTLY what was described to you (under the assumption of the information that was presented to each party with their respectable pieces of equipment)

ben, you quite obviously have a vast knowledge and seemingly endless array of test equipment and inside info and such for all of these lasers. that is great, but not all of us have access to this info. jim presented this sale as a laser with 1 hour on it becasue that is what the documents and sales person (or whoever) told him when he purchased it.

you have the "inside scoop" and key commands, or codes, or juimper settings to dig deep into the eeprom of a laser and see its exact settings and times. jim (nor most other people) have those luxuries. so they need to rely on information presented to them.

both sides of this trade were based on each others *HONEST* assumptions of what they were selling/trading. when you sell or trade used equipment there is always some sort of risk involved that something may not be as advertised. it alot of times is done maliciously, but in this case, it was not.

i personally honestly think that if there wasnt such a poor negative history here, jim *probably* (and i could be wrong) would have been willing to work something out. but ben, again...the old saying comes into play...your past will always haunt you. defenses were automatically up in this trade. and when things started to not go your way, or there were hold ups, or customs holds or delays, or demands from jim, you began to go on the offensive.

you cant do that.

its like somebody with bad credit bitching and moaning that their interest rates are extremely high. well, they're high and youre being "punished" so to speak becasue of the mistakes you made in the past.

i think you could sit back and honestly agree that if this trade was reversed (you gave jim the over hours laser) your defense if he got pissed at that would be..."jim, when i bought this laser i was told by the "X" salesman that this laser had only 1 hour on it. i also have the documentation that says it has only one hour on it."

now, please understand i am not saying that i think this trade went well. i agree 100% that the laser was *not* traded fairly. but, it was never misrepresented or maliciously traded as such. and unfortunately ben you were on the receiving end of a bad trade. and in this case a bad trade that was unavoidable. there was no way of knowing this outcome or knowing the findings that you came up with.

this was a hefty trade. lots of money and valuable equipment involved. both sides "assumed" they were getting exactly as described pieces of equipment. it didnt work out that way. what can be done now, if anything, to rectify this??

ben, you need to understand, if jim has no desire to make good on this, it is a lesson learned for you. just becasue something doesnt go exactly the way you want it to or expect it to, does not mean that you automatically go on an offensive and accuse of wrong doing. just as you felt slighted in the past for people accusing you of "ripping people off" jim (who has a much better "credit history" than you) is just as pissed for you accusing him.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    One question that i think is interesting is this:
    Suppose the laser would have read <1 hrs on it, but still wasn't able to output 200mW. Then you would have bought a laser with a problem you ASSUMED you could fix it, probably thinking to yourself "I know how to fix this..." with the info of Coherent.

If that wasn't the case, would you then still threaten Jim with all kinds of paypal claims because the laser wouldn't output fullpower ?.
    No, if it arrived with <1 hour, or even <100 hours, and did the 77-79mW he claimed, then it would have been a perfectly fine trade with me. It arrived doing half of the 79mW and having 1900 hours more then it should have.

jim quite clearly stated that as far "as he knew, from the information he received" this laser had only an hour on it. you posted that, he posted that. ok, clearly he was wrong. but that was the info that he received when he purchased this laser. that was the info that was a stipulation of this agreement that you 2 made. "he was under the assumption that this laser had 1 hour on it." it was documented to him as such.
    The thing about here, is he did not say that it was "As far as he knew" when he sold it to me. He said that according to the documents, it had <1 hour on it. The documents are totally filled out except for the two lines which show the number of hours. They are for the wrong serial number, and they do not show the information he claims was there.

i think you 2 are so pissed at each other that you are nitpicking each and every little negative thing. rightfully so. however- if you 2 didnt have such a poor track record with each other i think this outcome would be much more positive.
    Yeah, perhaps, however if you bought an expensive laser from me, and it showed up doing half the power I said and had 2000 more hours than I stated, you would not be happy with it. These aren't "little details", they are serious issues with the performance of the system.

ben, you quite obviously have a vast knowledge and seemingly endless array of test equipment and inside info and such for all of these lasers. that is great, but not all of us have access to this info. jim presented this sale as a laser with 1 hour on it becasue that is what the documents and sales person (or whoever) told him when he purchased it.
    The only equipment I used to test this was a computer with serial, and a power meter.

you have the "inside scoop" and key commands, or codes, or juimper settings to dig deep into the eeprom of a laser and see its exact settings and times. jim (nor most other people) have those luxuries. so they need to rely on information presented to them.
    I got the serial commands from a manual given to be my Jim himself.

both sides of this trade were based on each others *HONEST* assumptions of what they were selling/trading. when you sell or trade used equipment there is always some sort of risk involved that something may not be as advertised. it alot of times is done maliciously, but in this case, it was not.
    This was said to be new. If I bought a laser from you to resell, tested it for a couple minutes, it could reasonably be sold as new. It was stated that it had a problem with power, and I have no issue with that, provided it was making the power it was stated to.

this was a hefty trade. lots of money and valuable equipment involved. both sides "assumed" they were getting exactly as described pieces of equipment. it didnt work out that way. what can be done now, if anything, to rectify this??
    I asked Jim if he had any ideas on how to rectify the issue, and he basically told me to go fuck myself. I will still send the heatsink as soon as the laser is made right for me. I will follow through on my end of the deal. I hope Jim does the same.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    No, if it arrived with <1 hour, or even <100 hours, and did the 77-79mW he claimed, then it would have been a perfectly fine trade with me. It arrived doing half of the 79mW and having 1900 hours more then it should have.
    Ben if I remember correctly from the post (I can't be bothered to dig out the thread), where Smog offered this for general sale before you decided to buy it, he never said it was making 79mw or that he had measured it as such. He said that it should be making 200mw but the Coherent software was indicating that it was only making 79mw but he didn't know why this was. He also said the software showed its usage at 1 hour. He sold it on the basis of the software indicated power and usage.

If i also remember correctly he posted a photograph of the software screen showing this in his advert for sale. He didn't post any shots of a power meter showing 79mw, only that the software showed it as such. It was in reliance on this software representation that you bought (or traded the laser).

Therefore what you got is what he represented to you quite honestly and what you paid for. A laser with a Coherent software indicated 79mw and 1 hour.

The fact that it doesn't make 79mw or has more than 1 hour on it when interrogated by secret Coherent back door techniques, is neither here or there so far as the transaction is concerned because Jim never represented anything different to you. He never represented it was making 79mw only that the software indicated it was which as you confirm it is doing. Therefore it is doing exactly what he indicated.

It seems to me the dispute here is not over what was actually represented or sent but rather the fact that you were getting a laser that you thought you could turn into a 200mw laser on the cheap and when it turns out that you can't for reasons completely unknown to you both, you are unhappy that you haven't managed to pick up a 200mw laser at a bargain price but just a laser making a software indicated 79mw as promised or 49mw actual.

You took a chance, were unlucky not to get a tunable laser, but did get what you paid for so its time to move on.

Jim, I totally sympathize with you, it’s very frustrating to deal with that kid, don’t let him push you out of this forum.

At the same time I received a death and underspec laser from him he was making polls to ban someone else for a bad trade; now I wish I had made public my trade with him then.

Quote Originally Posted by jmilan View Post
    Jim, I totally sympathize with you, it’s very frustrating to deal with that kid, don’t let him push you out of this forum.

At the same time I received a death and underspec laser from him he was making polls to ban someone else for a bad trade; now I wish I had made public my trade with him then.
    Yeah, I wish you had! You failed to mention that I paid your request of $85 to repair the laser when you discovered it had died. You told me you could replace the diode yourself for that you needed $85 to pay for it. I gave you the money and never heard back from you.

White-Light:
    I did not use some "Secret Coherent Codes" to get the number of hours or any other information. The codes were in a copy of a manual Jim gave to me.

Jim did have a photograph showing 79mW, however he did not have any pictures showing power measurements. He claimed he measured 83mW in his PM to me.

The dispute is not that I did not get a 200mW laser for cheap, the dispute is that I did not get what was promised to me, by any means. All I want is a laser which makes what he stated in the listing. This is the exact problem with Laserworld, they sell lasers which were underpowered, then claim it is the buyer's fault, and say that they were buying it based on the specs and not the actual measure. I bought it based on the information he posted. That information was wrong, he is responsible for posting wrong information, if it was intentional or not.
    CLICKY!!!

Thumbs down

Besides health issues that seem to be multiplied by a factor of 3 each visit to my Doc....This sort of thing is exactly why I could care less. This used to be a place to share new ideas and theories related to lasers and the usage of them in an entertaining method. Now it has been degraded.....marred....lost a lot of appeal to me. Not that it matters. Maybe as time passes things will migrate to a more scientific and entertaining state.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

No, the lasers get their full lifetime at full power, however, if you need a 100mw laser, it is cheaper to buy a 200mw laser and run it at 1/2 power to greatly extend the lifetime, rather then buy two 100mw systems. Coherent does not sell products that do not live up to their specs.
    That is why things have warranties. I doubt there is a car which has ever gone without a single problem, they have warranties, and I don't see you complaining. Simply put, Coherent productsnlive up to their specs, that is now, perhaps in the past, the Ion lasers had trouble, but new DPSS systems don't have those issues.
    I guess we found an example where even an under driven coherent laser did not keep up to spec like you said they do nowadays. Good thing "That is why things have warranties."

Point in fact, the laser is telling you its putting out 79mw, so go after coherent for having a product that does not tell the truth. Anyhow, what happens when you trick the screen into saying its putting out the rated 200mw, surely the power will go past the "guaranteed" 79mw

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    I guess we found an example where even an under driven coherent laser did not keep up to spec like you said they do nowadays. Good thing "That is why things have warranties."

Point in fact, the laser is telling you its putting out 79mw, so go after coherent for having a product that does not tell the truth. Anyhow, what happens when you trick the screen into saying its putting out the rated 200mw, surely the power will go past the "guaranteed" 79mw
    Yeah, I guess I stand corrected, this laser was a disaster waiting to happen. Coherent replaced this unit 4 times. It had a 2 year extended warranty which expired 6/09. Coherent is seeing if there is anything they can do to replace it as it is less then 6 months out of warranty.

The laser is giving an incorrect reading on the power meter. I corrected it, and it is spot on now. It was wrong, I guess that was Coherent's fault. I do stand corrected on my claim that they always had good products.
    CLICKY!!!

The laser is giving an incorrect reading on the power meter. I corrected it, and it is spot on now. It was wrong, I guess that was Coherent's fault. I do stand corrected on my claim that they always had good products.

If you can change the reading the software gives for power ... would that not mean that it would be possible for you to change the reading on the hour meter? I'm not saying you did, or calling you a liar. I'm just ASKING if it was POSSIBLE that you did.

I would imagine calibrating the internal power meter is a common procedure on any laser with the option, changing the hours on the unit.. probably not