Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review - 475mw RGV NRG/Laser Know How Projector

Quote Originally Posted by ondahonda View Post
    we baught a similar one but it arived smashed in the mail. we never got to see it run. for a violet diode that looks pret blue! do you think a 610mw rgp will be worth a spin then?
    Most violets look very blue on a camera, but are violet in real live.

This was a very good review and i think i will purchase an NRG laser because of it.I I have been toying with buying a laser for ages "Low end" and have thought about Kam, CDS and other ebay lasers.One thing I just dont know is if a 50-80 mw green is powerful enough even in an RGB.I have thought of getting the 100mw green that they sell just as a start.

There are other things that i would like to know like distance of the camera from projector and also what the laser is like in ambient light and one more thing are they easy to upgrade!
    Once again thanks I wish there was more reviews on the basic laser products out there.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rudegar View Post
    This was a very good review and i think i will purchase an NRG laser because of it.I I have been toying with buying a laser for ages "Low end" and have thought about Kam, CDS and other ebay lasers.One thing I just dont know is if a 50-80 mw green is powerful enough even in an RGB.I have thought of getting the 100mw green that they sell just as a start.

There are other things that i would like to know like distance of the camera from projector and also what the laser is like in ambient light and one more thing are they easy to upgrade!
    Once again thanks I wish there was more reviews on the basic laser products out there.
    My first projector used a "big dipper" 50mW green, 200mW Maxyz red, and a 75mW CNI blue and was powerfull enough for a small room for a beginner. If you are "doing it yourself" you can start with any powers and move up.

I doubt you will find many reviews on "basic" laser products, which I assume you mean turn key laser projectors as the "low end" RGB"r" ones just became affordable with the use of blu-ray diodes. Most of us members here built our own or kicked our 401ks in the nuts to buy a "mid" level turn key projector. I do have a review of mine...

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-RGB-projector

Very nice review Andy! If I were to jump into this obsession today I would definatly buy one of these to start playing with over going through all the BS that lead to my assault on my 401k to get the Kvant.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Awesome write up, thanks for all the pics and details. I learn more about projector building with every case I get to see inside. I like how clean everything is.

Was wondering if a lot of dust would get into the dichros because the air path goes from the back to the sides of the projector.

Mike

theres dust filters on the fans
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I've recently bought one of these. I've got a few issues.

1. The violet laser is, predictably, underpowered.

2. In DMX mode, there is terrible latency. In one of Gary's other projectors, it's not so pronounced. But with this projector, doing a rapid chase means this laser doesn't fire at all whilst the other 2 are fine.

3. The friction knobs that hold the projector simply can't be tightened enough to prevent slippage. They can barely support the weight of the projector. That's DANGEROUS.

4. The DMX implementation - only 13-channel - is poor, far less control (and range of control) than required.

(I've not tried ILDA because I'm still waiting for Pangolin to pull their finger out and support DMX on FB3 / Quickshow. I'm sorely tempted to buy Medialas Mamba 2.0 instead.)

Quote Originally Posted by smokeAndMirrors View Post
    \(I've not tried ILDA because I'm still waiting for Pangolin to pull their finger out and support DMX on FB3 / Quickshow. I'm sorely tempted to buy Medialas Mamba 2.0 instead.)
    just get live pro, run the NRG off the regular ilda interface and the other projectors off of DMX...

I've not tried ILDA because I'm still waiting for Pangolin to pull their finger out and support DMX on FB3 / Quickshow
    FB3 does support dmx. Mine was one of the old OEM boards and came with the dmx daughterboard. I'm sure they still sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    FB3 does support dmx. Mine was one of the old OEM boards and came with the dmx daughterboard. I'm sure they still sell them.
    Not in Quickshow. Apparently it's "coming real soon".

But dmx support isn't designed for other projectors really, its for other things like smoke, fx wheels, etc
    I didn't think it was for controlling other projectors which i believe is the aim here.
    Other dedicated dmx controllers are better and more suited (imo)