Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From Green to RGY....

Well, a solid night and days work has me up to this stage. This is the first dry run of the baseplate in the casing. Looks as if my 'back of fag packet' calculations were not too far off!
    I ended up redoing most of the wiring as it was either too short, or just a bit bodged up after fitting the green. I've also put all the power connectors on removable ones so I can slide the baseplate out for maintenece without having to undo any screwed connections. As this projector is still one of a pair of greens, and it may still have to do its duty as single colour pair to my other one, I took the opportunity (as I had to redo the backplate) to fit a separate power switch for each laser. This means that all the time power is to the unit the galvos are on, but lasers can be switched independantly.

Was a bit of squeeze getting the galvo block in, as you can see the screw adjusters on the optic mounts are nearly flush with where the front of the case comes, and the galvo block is nearly back into the green driver. I did toy with having the optic mounts back to front so the actual reflected surface was further towards the front of the case (and hence the galvo block could be further forward) but it was looking like a bugger for adjustment!

Hopefully tomorrow we'll have some beams! In the meantime, here's some more pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0205[1].JPG  

IMG_0206[1].JPG  

IMG_0207[1].JPG  

Squeezy squeezy!

It's a good job those new Laserwave combined PSU/drivers are so compact.

You're deffo going to need the large mirror option for your galvos with the laser that close. It's no biggy though, you'll still get a good 21/22k scanning speed.

I had more light flying around inside my case than coming out of the front before I swapped 'em.

Ian
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Well, as you'll see from the pics, its nearly done, just need to get it back together really. Everything is wired and pretty much aligned, anything else now is just fiddling.

I'll have to see about the larger mirrors, at the moment the smaller mirrors mean that I don't get too much red halo when doing yellows, but I do have to pull the green back about 15% to make it look better. I'm going to do a long run with the case closed to see just what sort of temperatures get generated, as lasers tend to spend their time up in the hot air in clubs, so it'll make any heat situation worse if its only blowing already hot air through it.

I'd like to have all the shims made up of nice ally stock but I've not got access to machine shop facilities so for the time being it'll be the washers and cut up coke cans thats doing the job now!

Apologies for the shots, its a crappy iPhone cam, can't seem to locate my better camera phone at the moment...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0208[1].JPG  

IMG_0209[1].JPG  

IMG_0220[1].JPG  

IMG_0213[1].JPG  

IMG_0216[1].JPG  

Here's a video shot by someone who was at the last event I did. Not in line with the laser so probably not getting the full effect. There was an attenuation map at 40% below the horizon but you don't see it at all in the video. You can make it out as it steps down when you're actually in the room though - but only if you know what to look for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e2gmnG96LQ
    Last edited by norty303; 12-13-2009 at 07:22. Reason: forgot vid - DOH!