Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Fb3 worth it?

For some lasers the last half volt can mean quite a bit
    Laser is a lasever 300mw 635nm

• Yellow trace is voltage modulation input @ 2 volts/dev.

Note that it doesn't quite get to 5volts because the internal 1k load pulls the signal generator output down.

• Magenta trace is optical power output. Not calibrated to anything.

B.

Thought this may be of relevance:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=9419

Dan
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by fuzcub View Post
    For some lasers the last half volt can mean quite a bit
    Laser is a lasever 300mw 635nm

• Yellow trace is voltage modulation input @ 2 volts/dev.

Note that it doesn't quite get to 5volts because the internal 1k load pulls the signal generator output down.

• Magenta trace is optical power output. Not calibrated to anything.

B.

That seems like a weird slope for a diode.. I wonder why?

Here's a link from some time ago with some more graphs from various diodes.

The physical appearence of the red diode's beam geometry changes quite a bit as the modulation increases, which I guess would explain the nonlinearty of the current input / light output.
    B.

Makes sense.. it is multimode.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    LAStudio will "interpret" a frame as vector-oriented unless you tell it not to. Normally that is beneficial for frames you'll generally find floating around in libraries. LivePRO will also interpret imported frames as "vector oriented" by default. After importing a frame into a cue, you need to select Cue Properties and tell it that you want it interpreted as point-oriented. (Vector-oriented frames have rules which are above and beyond those of point-oriented frames. There are "environment settings" that control this...)

Good point. I just spent some time modifying the settings of all my frames using the "Image properties" menu, and found that you can usually increase a lot the brightness of a given frame by manually tuning them, usually without losing display speed, or in acceptable levels.

But you have to review all your frames one to one and try changing the settings until you find the best one, this is time consuming but it's worth something.
    Usually I found the best settings for a lot of frames was "vector with custom settings", with Visible Lines Spacing to min, Blanked Lines to max, and then you have to adjust Visible Line Anchors (line begin, line end) until the frame looks the best (taking care that there is no too bright hot spots).

There is no general rule but usually frames with points into it looks brighter when turned into customised vector.

You guys should really have a try by yourselves

Again remembering that 0.2x beam power appears to the eye as "half as bright" 68.5 % the beam power is still difficult to perceive as being much less than 100% brightness. (Remember, beam power is not the same as perceived brightness.)

Bill

Are you sure this is valid too for beam effects and not only for graphics?? As when I look at a beam effect coming toward me at 100% power, it looks really really more bright than at 50% (using the software brightness slider of Livepro). My lasers are well adjusted with a color board so it should be quite linear.
    Maybe there is a log function in this slider?

So that's the story for the QM2000. We only did a quick test with the FB3 and what I can say is that *something* does look a bit excessive. We'll quantify that tomorrow, and then go about finding out what's up and what can be done about it.

Bill
    Did you guys ever get around to testing this for us?

I'm guessing that they're out of the office at LDI, and whilst Bill may have someone from another office looking into it for him, I'd guess he'd want to report back any findings here himself. If it is going to involve work on their part, I'd suspect he'd want to come back here not only with what he's found out, but what they can do to fix it and the timescales involved.

Since V5.0.646.1986; I have experienced the "frozen beam of death" lockup a few times, randomly after adjusting colour or cue settings (thankfully testing at home).
    Last edited by Doc; 11-19-2009 at 11:19. Reason: punctuation
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

And just to keep the thread alive....

...and because my curiousity was well and truly piqued by Bill's announcement that 'something' didn't look right with the FB3...