Thread: Why is my display so narrow?

Default Why is my display so narrow?

Hello all, I recently purchased MONCHA the laser display software. I felt that it was a good start for someone new in this field. So far I really like it, it has got a simple straightforward layout and it does what I need it to do. Now when I didn't have a controller I ran my laser DMX and went through the patterns and I was surprised at how wide the beam angle was on my projector. However when I hooked up the MONCHA it go much more narrow. Now i know what your going to say, go into output settings and widen the X and Y. I did, to the Max as well as the pattern size and it is still much more narrow. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever had this sort of problem and how to remedy it. I would really like to use a wider beam angle.

Thanks Kyle

moncha is probably running single ended as opposed to differential scanner outputs.

check the output of moncha and see what it is compared to your DMX controller.

it is fairly easy to fix once you confirm this.
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

This is exactly the same problem.

So how were you able to resolve this? Or did you?

Seems like x, y outputs +- 5v/ balanced, 16 bit resolution. Does that mean single pole? If so what can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by ESKIMO KITCHEN View Post
    Seems like x, y outputs +- 5v/ balanced, 16 bit resolution. Does that mean single pole? If so what can I do?
    The easiest way to resolve that is to double the input gain on your galvo amps, or resize your scan image in software if it's not at max already. Of course, that's not really a permanent fix, but it'll work.

The most elegant solution is to make the output a differential one, check the Laserboy Correction Amp thread for some solutions. Weartronics has a very simple circuit that will convert a single-ended output into a differential one.

Weartronics has a very simple circuit that will convert a single-ended output into a differential one.
    He needs just the opposite.
    Beside halved scanangle, chances are his projector is putting out half the power it's capable of.

The output of the laser hasn't seemed to have changed, brightness seems relatively the same. I'm still kinda stuck.